Thread: Wine is installed in 12.1 but invisible

Beans

Wine is installed in 12.1 but invisible

I looked at the stickies and tried a variety of search terms, but found nothing that's an answer, and I was advised on WineHQ forum to seek advice here. When I installed Wine in 11.1 from Ubuntu Software Center, there was a Wine menu under Applications and I could see wine/drive_c in Home. Not in 12.1. I've installed and run a few Windows apps, but there's no menu, no drive_c and no way to add Windows apps that don't have an installer, such as Notepad++.

The only advice I received on WineHQ was about prefixes, but that hardly appeared to be a solution, so here I am seeking answers regarding how to 1) have a Wine menu and submenu in Launcher or somewhere in top menu bar, 2) how to see drive_c on a permanent basis and 3) how Windows app with extracted folder and no installer can have a functioning icon on desktop.

Ubuntu 11.1 is on an older Dell notebook and 12.1 on a not as old Dell laptop, and both run this OS very nicely. And I'm amazed at how fast Windows apps run in Wine.

Thanks for any insight you can offer or documentation to read.

-----

Not found any fix for this, but can at least unhide drive_c and can use terminal to start various Wine functions, including starting non-install Windows executables and then pinning to Unity launcher, but not desktop. So, a solution that's not exactly one...but it works well enough for now.
    Last edited by eduardoB; April 12th, 2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: update