Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

Re: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

I have ubuntu 11.04

I ran the auto update today as it was offered and Firefox was having trouble. During the update Wine also updated itself and reinstalled all the files I had deleted last time. Kindle of course broke again. Renaming the folder 'manifests' cured the problem.

I am now curious as to what the files in this folder do and what part of Wine will be upset by deleting them. I don't currently run any other Windows software but would quite like I tunes to view some lectures a friend told me about. Can I get away with just deleting one file?

Any ideas?

Regards

Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Yes, same issues here. Simply deleting that manifest directory didn't work for me. I also had to downgrade Wine AND delete the manifest directory to get the program to run.

Don't you hate feature regressions!
    When you've found an adequate answer to your post, click on "thread tools" and mark the thread as solved.
    If you find an answer on your own or elsewhere, share it here and mark the thread as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wow I have been working on this with no luck. Can you explain how you figured fix out so we all can learn. Can you explain how to get a shortcut to it in menu. With the new wine none of my wine programs show in menu and I can't find them in bin, sbin, etc.Thanks
    Last edited by cmcanulty; January 21st, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    Wow I have been working on this with no luck. Can you explain how you figured fix out so we all can learn. Can you explain how to get a shortcut to it in menu. With the new wine none of my wine programs show in menu and I can't find them in bin, sbin, etc.Thanks
    Yes. I downloaded this file...
    Code:
    wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/binary/wine1.3_1.3.28-0ubuntu1~ppa1~maverick1_i386.deb
    Then install the package...
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i wine1.3_1.3.28-0ubuntu1~ppa1~maverick1_i386.deb
    Then, I deleted the manifest directory contents...
    Code:
    rm ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/*
    Finally, I reinstalled the Kindle Reader...
    Code:
    wine KindleForPC-installer.exe
    That did it for me.
    When you've found an adequate answer to your post, click on "thread tools" and mark the thread as solved.
    If you find an answer on your own or elsewhere, share it here and mark the thread as solved.

Beans
    Distro

Aaaaarrrrrgh!!!

After yesterday's updates, my Kindle installation is broken again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

Getting Amazon Kindle for PC running in Ubuntu under Wine

I found the article above to work for me, first time. I followed the instructions and it worked first time.

I hope this helps some of you.

Buck
    Main WS: Compaq Presario/Athelon X2 4450e Dual Core/3GB RAM/G-Force 210 64bit 1024k RAM Monitors: Compaq WF 1907 & Vizio M220VA --- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    UbuntuGuide Help Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n4pgw View Post
    Getting Amazon Kindle for PC running in Ubuntu under Wine

I found the article above to work for me, first time. I followed the instructions and it worked first time.
    Problem loading page. so I went to the main website, problem loading page.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito Grande View Post
    Yesterday I was unable to get past the error you are receiving running under 11.10. Most versions of wine work fine under Ubuntu 11.04 and the Kindle for PC app was working for me with that system. Upgrading to 11.10 seems to have broken wine. Since I was also having longer boot times and 4 times lomger shut down times with 11.10, I removed 11.10 and did a clean install of 11.04. Kindle For PC works perfectly now. If not for th Kindle issue, I would have probably remained with 11.10 but is was very slow on shutdown for a Linux distro.
    I hope you get to see this. To restore quick shutdown in 11.10, open the Software Center or Synaptic Manager. Search for "wicd" (without the quotes). install it and then search for "network-manager" and uninstall it. Reboot, wicd should take over from network-manager and shutdown will be restored to 3 or 4 seconds.

Network-manager refuses to close politely and Ubuntu waits for about 15 seconds before killing it. In 12.04 alpha (at this point in time), this bug is still there.

Beans

I found this SIMPLE STABLE solution browsing the winehq page for kindle

Install (via wine) The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

worked for me when all the "jerry rig" solutions I found here did not work

info and download link:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=36217

THis solution should hold good even after updates

I had already installed kindle with the crashing issues. I downloaded the redist pack via the link from the above wine page, clicked on it and selected the wine option for opening. it installed, I tried kindle, worked perfect.
    Last edited by Flanmaster; March 14th, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Beans

Much later, (April 2012), on Fedora 17, I had the same issue and the solution in post 11 worked for me. Delete all files in ~/wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs and then Kindle installed and worked for me. Many thanks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast