Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

Beans

Smile Re: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by n7cee View Post
    I have Kindle for PC 1.8.1 working with Wine 1.3.28 on Kubuntu 11.10. After downloading Kindle for PC installer, make it executable. The install runs fine, but Kindle for PC crashes on first run. I deleted the files in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/, and now Kindle PC runs fine.
    I have also been trying to get this sorted for some time. It now works for me in 11.10 with wine 1.3 and the latest kindle app. Great tip.

Beans

Re: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

I have Kindle for PC 1.8.1 working with Wine 1.3.28 on Kubuntu 11.10. After downloading Kindle for PC installer, make it executable. The install runs fine, but Kindle for PC crashes on first run. I deleted the files in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/, and now Kindle PC runs fine.
    Wow!!! Thanks so much! I've been tripping up on this since 11.04 was released and erasing the manifests was the trick for me.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Strange. Okay, I'll admit first that I'm on Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm using Wine 1.3.30, and I haven't even been able to install Kindle 1.8.1. Deleting manifests didn't do anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dy1anW View Post
    Strange. Okay, I'll admit first that I'm on Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm using Wine 1.3.30, and I haven't even been able to install Kindle 1.8.1. Deleting manifests didn't do anything.
    Wine 1.3.30 killed the SUMATRA PDF viewer in ubuntu 10.04. I installed wine 1.3.28 to revert and that fixed the problem.
    Instructions to revert: go to http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/binary/
    and then download the wine 1.3.28 version required for your hardware.
    For example, I downloaded the file
    http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/arch...rick1_i386.deb
    Then in a terminal window, type this command line:
    sudo dpkg -i XXX.deb
    where XXX stands for the file name downloaded. Let ubuntu remove the 1.3.30 version and revert.
    Then uninstall whatever windows program failed, and install it fresh.
    The synaptic manager can lock the version of wine, preventing unwanted upgrades.

Beans

Smile Re: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

Very many thanks - works a treat in 11.10

Beans

perhaps a little off topic, but with Chromium it's possible to access the Kindle Cloud Reader

actually I'm not a Wine fan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas666 View Post
    perhaps a little off topic, but with Chromium it's possible to access the Kindle Cloud Reader

actually I'm not a Wine fan

The Cloud Reader is awful for navigation and looks terrible. I've been struggling trying to use it for my textbooks.

My Kindle app worked fine until I upgraded to 11.10. I've tried everything, multiple versions of Kindle with both Wine 1.3 and 1.2, deleted the files another user mentioned, toyed with the version of Windows was set to (this worked for me previously). I still can't get Kindle working, and I really need it. Reading my textbooks on my phone is NOT working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Running wine 1.3.32 and Kindle for PC 1.8.1. Running Ubuntu 11.10 64bit.

Can register and see my books. Able to do rt-click|download okay on some books but unable to open/read book. Most of the time clicking on any book gives "kindle.exe has encountered serious problem and must close". Screen grays-out and "force close" is only choice. Removing manifest files done and still no-go.

Changing to diff Ubuntu not option, rm wine and using diff version would be ok. Book most need to read off of LT I also have thru OReilly Safari library so I'm just reading thru browser. Would be nice to have Kindle for PC work though for other books in my queue.
    dmflad
    "The great charm of fly-fishing is that we are always learning." - Theodore Gordon

Beans

Kudos, great advice... Worked great for Oneiric!
    Last edited by jdggra; November 21st, 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: didn't quote...

Beans

Hi!

Complete beginner, here. I have the kindle app and WINE installed and noticed people talking about deleting files from here

~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/

How do I find this directory? I really need kindle and am seriously struggling here.

Thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast