Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

Beans

Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

Hi all,

I am very much a Ubuntu newbie, so please keep that in mind if you are kind enough to help me out.

I have WINE 1.3 installed in my Ubuntu 11.10. I would like to run the latest (or at least any!) version of the Kindle for PC, but seem unable to do so. At first I managed to install the Kindle for PC Beta with WINE 1.2, but then tried to update to the latest version.

When I began installing Kindle a dialog box popped up telling me that a "serious error" had occurred and the installation could not continue. The dialog box referred me to report the error, but gave me no further details (see screenshot). It seems I could begin to run the application, but once again the same error dialog appeared.

Has anybody been able to install the latest version of Kindle for PC in 11.10? If so, could you kindly provide some assistance to a newbie such as myself?

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fgimelli; October 17th, 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Adding a screenshot of error message

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

Beans

Thanks for the response. As I said I'm a complete newbie, i.e. not much of what that page says makes sense to me.

I did nevertheless rename the directory as specified, but the same error persists.

Beans
    Distro

What varsion of kindle pc do you have? If kindle to pc was working with wine1.2 why did you upgrade it?

Beans

Yesterday I was unable to get past the error you are receiving running under 11.10. Most versions of wine work fine under Ubuntu 11.04 and the Kindle for PC app was working for me with that system. Upgrading to 11.10 seems to have broken wine. Since I was also having longer boot times and 4 times lomger shut down times with 11.10, I removed 11.10 and did a clean install of 11.04. Kindle For PC works perfectly now. If not for th Kindle issue, I would have probably remained with 11.10 but is was very slow on shutdown for a Linux distro.

Beans

@Miguelito Grange: Unfortunately I have an Asus Eee PC 1215P and when I install 10.04 I can't get any of the network drivers to work, so I don't think switching back to it is an option for me.

@ergo-proxy: I could only get the Kindle Beta to work, but wanted to use a later version, if possible.

Beans
    Distro

Try with to use both versions: the lastest stable 1.2.3 and the latest dev (both avaialble in wine repository)

Beans

Smile Re: Kindle for PC with WINE 1.3 (Ubuntu 11.10)

I have Kindle for PC 1.8.1 working with Wine 1.3.28 on Kubuntu 11.10. After downloading Kindle for PC installer, make it executable. The install runs fine, but Kindle for PC crashes on first run. I deleted the files in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/, and now Kindle PC runs fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by n7cee View Post
    I have Kindle for PC 1.8.1 working with Wine 1.3.28 on Kubuntu 11.10. After downloading Kindle for PC installer, make it executable. The install runs fine, but Kindle for PC crashes on first run. I deleted the files in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/, and now Kindle PC runs fine.

Wow, thanks for this tip. I did the same and it seems to be working for me as well! Would never have figured that out!

Beans

"I have Kindle for PC 1.8.1 working with Wine 1.3.28 on Kubuntu 11.10. After downloading Kindle for PC installer, make it executable. The install runs fine, but Kindle for PC crashes on first run. I deleted the files in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/, and now Kindle PC runs fine."

Thanks very much for the above tip which worked for me on Ubuntu 10.10 with Wine 1.3.30 and the latest version of Kindle from Amazon. I've spent three days trying to sort this out!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast