Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Install of 11.10 problem

Hybrid View

Beans

Exclamation Fresh Install of 11.10 problem

So, I tried to do a fresh install of Oneiric, and after installation, when I'm restarting, I get a bunch of messages and a blinking underscore. I can't exactly take a screen shot, but the contents of my screen say (roughly)

fsck from util-linux 2.19.1
    /dev/sda1: clean, 152960/15007744 files, 1694799/60001536 blocks
    *Starting network connection manager
    *Stopping Flush boot log to disk
    Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox
    *Starting AppArmor profiles [OK]
    speech-dispatcher disabled; edit/etc/default/speech-dispatcher
    Checking for running unattended-upgrades:
    *Stopping Failsafe Boot Delay [OK]
    *Stopping System V initialisation compatibility [OK]
    *Starting System V runlevel compatibility [OK]
    *Stopping automatic crash report generation [fail]
    *Starting ACPI daemon [OK]
    *Starting save kernel messages [OK]
    *Starting CPU interrupts balancing daemon [OK]
    *Starting anac(h)ronistic cron [OK]
    *Starting regular background program processing daemon [OK]
    *Starting deferred execution scheduler [OK]
    *Stopping save kernel messages [OK]
    *Stopping cold plug devices [OK]
    *Stopping log initial device creation [OK]
    *Starting configure network device security [OK]
    *Starting LightDM Display Manager [OK]
    *Starting Userspace bootsplash [OK]
    *Stopping Userspace bootsplash [OK]
    *Starting bluetooth [OK]
    *Pulse Audio configured for per-user sessions
    saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned

At least that's what it says THIS time. Every time I boot, it looks slightly different, but they all end with a blinking underscore and then nothing happens. I have tried reinstalling with both USB and CD, as well as redownloading the iso and reinstalling, but no luck. Also, it runs fine when I just boot off the CD/USB.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?
    Last edited by merediths; October 17th, 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Fresh Install of 11.10 problem

Quote Originally Posted by merediths View Post
    So, I tried to do a fresh install of Oneiric, and after installation, when I'm restarting, I get a bunch of messages and a blinking underscore. I can't exactly take a screen shot, but the contents of my screen say (roughly)
    Code:
    fsck from util-linux 2.19.1
    /dev/sda1: clean, 152960/15007744 files, 1694799/60001536 blocks
    *Starting network connection manager
    *Stopping Flush boot log to disk
    Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bin.firefox
    *Starting AppArmor profiles                            [OK]
    speech-dispatcher disabled; edit/etc/default/speech-dispatcher
    Checking for running unattended-upgrades:
    *Stopping Failsafe Boot Delay                                          [OK]
    *Stopping System V initialisation compatibility                   [OK]
    *Starting System V runlevel compatibility                          [OK]
    *Stopping automatic crash report generation                     [fail]
    *Starting ACPI daemon                                                    [OK]
    *Starting save kernel messages                                        [OK]
    *Starting CPU interrupts balancing daemon                        [OK]
    *Starting anac(h)ronistic cron                                            [OK]
    *Starting regular background program processing daemon   [OK]
    *Starting deferred execution scheduler                                [OK]
    *Stopping save kernel messages                                        [OK]
    *Stopping cold plug devices                                                [OK]
    *Stopping log initial device creation                                    [OK]
    *Starting configure network device security                         [OK]
    *Starting LightDM Display Manager                                     [OK]
    *Starting Userspace bootsplash                                          [OK]
    *Stopping Userspace bootsplash                                          [OK]
    *Starting bluetooth                                                            [OK]
    *Pulse Audio configured for per-user sessions
    saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned

At least that's what it says THIS time. Every time I boot, it looks slightly different, but they all end with a blinking underscore and then nothing happens. I have tried reinstalling with both USB and CD, as well as redownloading the iso and reinstalling, but no luck. Also, it runs fine when I just boot off the CD/USB.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?
    Welcome to Ubuntu!

Sidenote- Administrative wise in this forum, please post logs, commands and output within CODE tags. hjem posting or editing plaease hightlight the text , then press the "#" icon in the posting toolbar. Iaht will put the CODE tags around your selected text.

On your posted output... It looks okay, albeit the crash report line. Usually it gets about there or sooner if there a graphics problem... First you should confirm that the Linux kernel is booting.

Can you get to a Grub Menu? If you don't usually see it when booting- On boot, hold down the shift key. When the grub menu comes up, press "e'. That will put you into an edit mode. Arrow down to the line that begins with "linux". Arrow right to where is says "quiet splash vt.handoff=7" and replace it with "--verbose single". Press <cntrl><x> to boot. That should get it to try to boot the kernel with verbose meassging turned on- to a TTY Text Console.

If it finishes booting to a command prompt, the step above should confirm that everything is okay with the kernel and it's system modules. If all is well with that, then your problem lies on a different layer... In the X-Session, graphics drivers or desktop.

I'll stop there... I think that seeing the crash report generated halfway through the boot sequence, that there is some kind of problem there. It's at the point where it might be hitting the graphics and having a problem, but that doesn't usually throw a generated problem report. That concerns me.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; October 17th, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hello,

I appear to be having the exact same problem (I get the same screen on start-up). I have followed the steps in the previous post and can confirm that the problem is not kernel-related. It must therefore be another issue.

Is there any straight forward way to sort this out?

Beans

I'm having the same problem, noticed another thread - others with intel gma chipset have identical issues. Can't even run on the usb flash drive. Waiting for a solution!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Welcome to Ubuntu!

Can you get to a Grub Menu? If you don't usually see it when booting- On boot, hold down the shift key. When the grub menu comes up, press "e'. That will put you into an edit mode. Arrow down to the line that begins with "linux". Arrow right to where is says "quiet splash vt.handoff=7" and replace it with "--verbose single". Press <cntrl><x> to boot. That should get it to try to boot the kernel with verbose messaging turned on- to a TTY Text Console.

If it finishes booting to a command prompt, the step above should confirm that everything is okay with the kernel and it's system modules. If all is well with that, then your problem lies on a different layer... In the X-Session, graphics drivers or desktop.
    @merediths, Namloc and Stepway

If it boot using the instructions highlighted above in red, then do
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep VGA
    Write down those results.

Type
    Code:
    sudo reboot.
    On boot, hold down the shift key. When the grub menu comes up, press "e'. That will put you into an edit mode. Arrow down to the line that begins with "linux". Arrow right to where is says "quiet splash" and before it says "vt.handoff=7"...
    - If the output you wrote down said "nVidia", insert "nomodeset"
    - If the output you wrote down say "ATI Radeon", insert "radeon.mode=0"
    - If the output you wrote down said ", Intel" insert "i915.modeset=0"
    Press <cntrl><x> and it will boot.

If it boot into the GUI, Click on the user_name in the upper-right-most of the top bar > select Sytem Settings > Select Additional Drivers. > Install appropriate driver.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Fresh Install of 11.10 problem

Thanks for feed back. Should add, sadly, mine didn't get as far as the 1st post. I get the same result, but on the install.
    It won't even run 11.10 from the flash drive. It stops during the Ubuntu 11.10 purple screen, has a brief message that begins with "B43-phyo error firmware file B43/uncode15.fw " then I end up with the screen much like that posted on the 1st thread.
    I can't help thinking this is an issue with the intel gma chipsetOn my Dell 12 mini
    11.04 was fine.
    Stuck at this stage I don't think I can use the MAFoElffen fix? maybe the error message sheds some light?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stepway View Post
    Thanks for feed back. Should add, sadly, mine didn't get as far as the 1st post. I get the same result, but on the install.
    It won't even run 11.10 from the flash drive. It stops during the Ubuntu 11.10 purple screen, has a brief message that begins with "B43-phyo error firmware file B43/uncode15.fw " then I end up with the screen much like that posted on the 1st thread.
    I can't help thinking this is an issue with the intel gma chipsetOn my Dell 12 mini
    11.04 was fine.
    Stuck at this stage I don't think I can use the MAFoElffen fix? maybe the error message sheds some light?
    I believe that error is a separate issue, as that error concerns wireless card firmware files.

Can you boot a LiveCD (without having to use any kernel boot settings) into the "try" Live Image?

If you can, maybe it would be corrected with a reinstall fresh as new(?)

Beans

Thanks for helping out MAFoElffen. I have just tried to go through your suggested troubleshoot however once I got into the TTY Text Console I could not type the symbol "|". Instead the button (shift + \) came up with "~".

Nevertheless, I tried all three of the options you mentioned and not much happened. For the "nVidia" and ",Intel" outputs, the insertions resulted in the boot screen stopping at the line "Checking battery state ... ". I wait for several minutes and nothing. When I inserted "radeon.mode=0", I got another line past this, but it too finished on the line:
    Code:
    [  20.378333] iwlagn 0000:03:000: Aggregation not enabled for tid 0 because load=6
    Anything else I should try?

Beans

I had the same problem, usually it stopped with the fail in this line:

*Starting System V runlevel compatibility [FAIL]

but also in others.

I could solve the problem. Here is what I did:

Instead starting using the default first entry in GRUB (kernel 3...)
    I used the second entry (kernel 3 (recovery mode)

Then a new window with options appears and I choose the first one that
    said "resume ...."

And ubuntu started using this recovery mode. Then open the "Additional Drives" program and there are two drivers:

1): NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]
    2): NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (post-release updates) (version current-updates)

I was using the SECOND one. I deactivated it and now ubuntu 11.10 starts without any problem.

Now go to Additional Drivers and active the FIRST one and no hangings at the moment.

So the second driver seems have some problem and the solution is use the first one.
    Last edited by Bao2; October 17th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

Thanks Bao2. Unfortunately I haven't worked with these text based terminals before. What do I need to type in to open the "Additional Drives" program and what do I need to type in for the deactivation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast