Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 usb printer how?

Beans

Re: 11.10 usb printer how?

It appears now not to be the fault of CUPS, but rather the kernel. What kernel versions are your Debian and Mandriva systems using? Check out:
    https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=872711
    which my bug above was marked a duplicate of. You'll see that several people with our same problem have installed a "proposed" kernel fix and it has solved the problem.
    -- David

Beans

I noticed that kernel 3.0.0-13 was present in /boot although what was running was 3.0.0-12. When I ran sudo update-grub, I saw that 3.0.0-13 was detected, but menu.lst still ended up without it. So after looking at the update-grub manpage some more, I manually added in 3.0.0-13 and ran update-grub again. I rebooted and was then running 3.0.0-13. Now my Epson Stylus Photo R300 is detected and working again! Maybe 3.0.0-13 is the so-called "proposed kernel". At any rate, it is the kernel that solves the problem for me, as I have reported in bug 872711.
    -- David

Beans

Thanks for the info. I will check it out on my days off.

Beans

How can I install version 3.0.0-13?
    When I run "sudo update-grub" the output is

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
    Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
    Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
    Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic
    Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic
    Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
    Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

after this instruction, I have the same output. And the printer R300 still not working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pedrocrg View Post
    How can I install version 3.0.0-13?
    1. You first have to get it from the repositories. Check your /etc/apt/sources.list to see if you have oneiric-proposed. You would need a line like this:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-proposed restricted main multiverse universe (all one line).
    Or, you can do it via the GUI: Ubuntu Software Center→Edit→Software Sources→Updates and ensure that oneiric-proposed is ticked.
    I think once you do that, you can go into Update Manager or Synaptic and get it (there are other ways). You'll know you've succeeded when you see vmlinuz-3.0.0-13-generic in /boot.
    2. If your experience is like mine, you aren't done yet. Check your /boot/grub/menu.lst. Does it contain a mention of 3.0.0-13 right after "## ## End Default Options ##"? For me, the answer was no, and I then edited menu.lst. I just copied the lines involving 3.0.0-12 and in the copied lines, changed -12 to -13. To edit the file (after backing it up via, e.g., sudo cp -p menu.lst menu.lst.backup), you do "gksu gedit menu.lst" (assuming you're cd'd to /boot/grub). The new section for 3.0.0-13 should now come first. Save your file and exit from the editor.
    3. Now run sudo update-grub again.
    4. Then reboot.
    5. When you come back up, uname -r should show 3.0.0-13-generic.
    6. Then and only then, try to see if your printer is detected. Good luck!
    -- David

Beans

Thank You David!!! It works. Now I have the Epson R300 printing.
    Pedro

Beans

That did it!
    Enabled proposed repositories, upgraded to 3.0.0-13 kernel, and now my printer works. Grub also updated to show new kernel. Thanks everyone!. You made my day!.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just trying to follow David's instructions, but I don't have a menu.lst in my /boot/grub

I have vmlinuz-3.0.0-13-generic-pae in /boot, so I hope the first part has worked, but no menu.lst in /boot/grub, so I can't do the second bit re editing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mind you, I've just rebooted and turned the printer on and it is now working ... so job done without editing the menu.lst.

Many thanks

Beans

shochatd,

After enabling proposed repositories, what specifically do I need to install in Synaptic?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast