Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 usb printer how?

Beans

Re: 11.10 usb printer how?

Quote Originally Posted by shochatd View Post
    redmon: What you need is linux 3.0.0-13. I think in my case, I got it by running Update Manager. Just look in /boot and see if vmlinuz-3.0.0-13-(whatever) is there. Do you have it? If not, go to synaptic and put "linux" in the search box. In my case, the 3.0.0-13 packages are right at the top of the list. Once you have the kernel in /boot, the next step depends on whether you have GRUB 1 or 2 (see above). If GRUB 1, then follow the instructions that I posted previously (including the editing of menu.lst). If GRUB 2, just sudo update-grub should do it (followed by reboot). You can check using the command grub-install -v. If it says 0.97 you have GRUB 1. If it's something like 1.98 or later, you have GRUB 2.
    -- David
    I installed 3.0.0-13 and proceeded through your six steps in #15 (I have Grub1). Everything worked - except no USB printer detected. I tried reinstalling drivers, but no change. Printer works fine with parallel connection, but not USB.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redmon View Post
    I installed 3.0.0-13 and proceeded through your six steps in #15 (I have Grub1). Everything worked - except no USB printer detected. I tried reinstalling drivers, but no change. Printer works fine with parallel connection, but not USB.
    Are you sure 3.0.0-13 is what is booting?
    What does uname -r show?

Beans

Are you sure 3.0.0-13 is what is booting?
    What does uname -r show?
    3.0.0-13-generic

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redmon View Post
    3.0.0-13-generic
    Sorry to hear that. It means your printer is not fixed by the kernel fix. Did it work with 11.04? Anyway, you should go to
    https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=872711
    (create an account if you don't have one) and add to the bug the fact that the proposed kernel didn't fix it for you, what kind of printer, etc.

Beans

Sorry to hear that. It means your printer is not fixed by the kernel fix. Did it work with 11.04? Anyway, you should go to
    https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=872711
    (create an account if you don't have one) and add to the bug the fact that the proposed kernel didn't fix it for you, what kind of printer, etc.
    I have been using Ubuntu for two years and the printer has always worked. I am also using Linux Mint 11 which is based on 11.04 and both printer and scanner work fine.

Thanks for all your help.

Beans

I can no longer print to my HP Deskjet 810C printer after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10. It worked with 11.04 and also w/ previous Ubuntu versions. I installed kernel 3.1 and the problem remains.

cribari@darwin:~$ uname -a
    Linux darwin 3.1.0-030100-generic #201110241006 SMP Mon Oct 24 14:07:10 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans

My problem is very peculiar - in 11.04 and 10.10 I had a lot of trouble getting my Brother DCP-195C to work, having to install many drivers, tweak files, etc. In fact on 11.04 I managed to break my update manager when fixing the printer! So this is a clean install. With a heavy heart, expecting a battle, I plug the printer in. Immediately 11.10 says 'detecting printer', followed by 'DCP-195C detected'. Amazing! So I skip off to print something, click print, select printer, printer says receiving data, and then... nothing. It just goes away again and nothing is printed.

I've tried a few of the fixes on the forums threads but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

Beans

This is general solution for Debian / Ubuntu:
    (mine: Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit, Canon IP1980, works very fine)

#apt-get install cups cups-client "foomatic-db*"
    (install cups & download a db printer drivers)

# adduser suheimi lpadmin
    (change suheimi to your username or whoever want to print)

# firefox, go to http://localhost:631
    --> adminstration --> add printer -->local printer --> usb printer

no need to restart cups, but if you want to,
    # service cups restart

You also can modify:
    /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Hope that's help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is the kind of nonsense I thought we'd left behind around 7.10. Did nobody regression test final 11.10 with some USB printers? There's whole families this kernel doesn't work with, now we're all back grubbing around (no pun intd) at command lines trying to get printers to work!!

We spend years evangelising about Linux only to get another Canonical ball-drop on hardware, setting back the cause yet again, just as we think we can get out of the ghetto of minority operating systems.

Everyone do your duty, get on Launchpad, raise those bugs and get this sorted. RC
    RobinC@Amethyst
    -----------------------
    "Life, don't talk to me about life..."

Beans

IT WORKS !!!!!

Thanks guys. This has been a tremendous issue and now it's over !

Bye Bye

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast