Thread: Uninstalling ATI Catalyst 11.9 without breaking something

Beans

Uninstalling ATI Catalyst 11.9 without breaking something

So yesterday, I was reading about how ATI/AMD released a new Catalyst version (11.9) and how that was supposed to work with Gnome 3. Curious if it would indeed work, I installed it following the instructions found here. Although it was an improvement over the previous Catalyst version, it was still very glitchy and caused my system to run slowly. So I uninstalled the catalyst as described on that page and re-installed the open sourced drivers. After doing this, I rebooted my system...only to find a black screen with a blinking cursor. I thought maybe if I let it sit long enough, it would work...but after 10 minutes passed, I had given up hope.

All in all, I needed to start the Recovery Console from Grub and manually re-install the Catalyst 11.9 drivers. (Although, it took me an entire night to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it) And again, it is a glitchy and slow as ever. (But...I'm a bit terrified to uninstall them...because finding out the problem and re-installing them was a pain.)

...so is there a way to safely uninstall the Catalyst Drivers without breaking my system? It would be nice not to have a slight lag every time I type and be able to watch videos without them being choppy. (And if you need more information, I'd be glad to supply it). Thanks!

Beans

Re: Uninstalling ATI Catalyst 11.9 without breaking something

Quote Originally Posted by joeturtle View Post
    So yesterday, I was reading about how ATI/AMD released a new Catalyst version (11.9) and how that was supposed to work with Gnome 3. Curious if it would indeed work, I installed it following the instructions found here. Although it was an improvement over the previous Catalyst version, it was still very glitchy and caused my system to run slowly. So I uninstalled the catalyst as described on that page and re-installed the open sourced drivers. After doing this, I rebooted my system...only to find a black screen with a blinking cursor. I thought maybe if I let it sit long enough, it would work...but after 10 minutes passed, I had given up hope.

All in all, I needed to start the Recovery Console from Grub and manually re-install the Catalyst 11.9 drivers. (Although, it took me an entire night to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it) And again, it is a glitchy and slow as ever. (But...I'm a bit terrified to uninstall them...because finding out the problem and re-installing them was a pain.)

...so is there a way to safely uninstall the Catalyst Drivers without breaking my system? It would be nice not to have a slight lag every time I type and be able to watch videos without them being choppy. (And if you need more information, I'd be glad to supply it). Thanks!

I have exactly the same issue with ati 11.9.
    how to reinstall again the driver?