Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Upgrading to 11.10 breaks VNC (vino)

Beans

Re: Upgrading to 11.10 breaks VNC (vino)

Quote Originally Posted by Audiosears View Post
    First of all, I’ve installed x11vnc:
    apt-get install x11vnc

Then, I’ve created /etc/init/x11vnc.conf file:
    start on login-session-start
    script
    x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -forever -bg -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
    end script

After restart, x11vnc shoud listen on vnc startard port – 5900.

This script is of course based on upstart event mechanism. Lightdm emits login-session-start event (you can find it in lightdm.conf), and we start x11vnc when this event is emited – that’s first line of x11vnc.conf file.
    I've got a few 11.04 boxes, and one that was 11.04 upgraded to 11.10 which still works normally. I did the same with another machine today and it worked fine for a while before failing. This method worked for me. Cheers

Beans

To JECOS, take a deep breath buddy. Ubuntu is free. Calm down your complaints a little. Wow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Audiosears View Post
    OK, I got it. AFAIK, Vino is still broken as of the 11.10 upgrade, but I was able to get x11vnc working after finding this (source):

First of all, I’ve installed x11vnc:
    apt-get install x11vnc

Then, I’ve created /etc/init/x11vnc.conf file:
    start on login-session-start
    script
    x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -forever -bg -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
    end script

After restart, x11vnc shoud listen on vnc startard port – 5900.

This script is of course based on upstart event mechanism. Lightdm emits login-session-start event (you can find it in lightdm.conf), and we start x11vnc when this event is emited – that’s first line of x11vnc.conf file.

I created the upstart config file, rebooted (still having my server auto-login) and I was then able to vnc back in
    Hi Audiosears,

I was able to connect to the remote Ubuntu server with x11vnc installed and configured as you mentioned in the thread ONLY IF I HAVE AN USER ALREADY LOGGIN IN THE SERVER ! If the user in the remote x11vnc server logged off, then I can't connect to remote Ubuntu x11vnc server !!! It said the connection refused from my vnc client i.e. Chichen of the VNC running from a Mac. How do you connect to the remote x11vnc server which CURRENTLY NO USER WAS LOGGED ON in the remote server ?? does this have something to do the lightdm.conf or users.conf or keys.conf files under /etc/lightdm ? if yes, then how ?

Thx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I just wanted to drop in and say I've been "working around" this issue with xvnc4viewer by uninstalling it and replacing it with xtightvncviewer. It's not as good, primarily because the menu you get with the F8 key while running the viewer is sparse. The biggest thing I used to do with the menu in xvnc4viewer was change the color/compression options to something a little more lightweight due to bandwidth/speed issues. I can still do that with xtightvncviewer but I have to enter the option from the command line.

After replacing xvnc4viewer with xtightvncviewer the "vncviewer" alias updates itself, so at the command line I can just type:

vncviewer -listen -bgr233

The bgr233 option is a tightvnc option that reduces the colors and bandwidth usage so the above command gets me by.

But the other thing I hate about this viewer is the way it handles full screen mode. If I'm viewing a remote desktop using a resolution that's higher than mine, it doesn't auto-scroll when I move the mouse to the edge. Instead, I have to click on these clunky scroll bars at the edges that don't actually scroll. You left click to make it go one way and right click to make it go the other way. Not very smooth... but like I said, this was something I chose to do to get buy while the devs for xvnc4 get their stuff fixed.

Beans

Hi Audiosears,

I followed the script you mentioned above and was able to get x11vnc working ONLY IF I HAVE AN USER ALREADY LOGGED IN THE REMOTE Ubuntu x11vnc server ! If there is no login user in the Ubuntu server then I can't connect to the x11vnc server from an vnc client such as Chicken of the VNC in Mac, and got Connection refused! How can you configure x11vnc so that I can connect to the x11vnc server without any user intervention on the server side ?
    You mentioned about the Lightdm, doe sit has something to do with the lightdm.conf, users.conf, and keys.conf files under /etc/lightdm ?

thx.

Beans

It's my typo on the x11vnc command option line...., problem solved!

Beans

(Solved) vnc4server on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)

Posted on January 27, 2012
    Im posting this because I spent a lot of time trying multiple things to get vnc4server up and going on the Ubuntu 11.1 system. Most people suggest using x11vnc, which does work out of the box but does not support multiple users.
    vnc4server is great, and up and running finally!
    Here are the steps:

• Install vnc4server
      • sudo apt-get install vnc4server

• Install gdm and gnome-panel (This installs the gnome-classic.sessions session file in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/):
      • sudo apt-get install gdm
      • - When asked to choose the default session manager, choose lightdm
      • sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

• When you launch vnc4server for the first time, you will be asked to set a password and a /home/<user>/.vnc/xstartup will be created for you.
    • - vnc4server Example command: vnc4server -geometry 1024x768 :1 (creates a VNC instance of size 1024x768 an display 1) You can then use a VNC viewer on the client side to connect (I use RealVNC viewer with "<server-name>:<display-number> to connect).
    • We need to change the contents of the /home/<user-name>/.vnc/xstartup file to get things working properly.

• Contents should look like this:

#!/bin/sh
    # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    unset SESSION_MANAGER
    unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
    #exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    #. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    gnome-session --session=gnome-classic &
    [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    #x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    #x-window-manager &

• unset SESSION_MANAGER : Gets rid of any errors like “Could not acquire name on session bus “
    • /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions will have a bunch of .session files. You may use any of these in your xstartup file. For example:
      • gnome-session –session=gnome-classic & gives your classic gnome
      • gnome-session –session=ubuntu-2d & gives you Unity
      • gnome-session –session=ubuntu & does not work!
      • gnome-session & will not work because the default session is “ubuntu”

Last edited by reverentsentinel; January 28th, 2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added vnc4server syntax example

Beans

Here's a manual for 11.10 and x11vnc with SSH !

before login screen, secure, with password and numeric keys are working !

http://www.dannratemal.de/?p=450

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Suggestions in the thread mostly worked great. Since I'm on 12.04 using Unity, I found the following a big help:

http://mlepicki.com/2011/10/remote-v...-ubuntu-11-10/

It worked great with lightdm (Unity).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234