Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 extremely slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 extremely slow

i find it lags hard everytime i open a new program. Banshee freezes up practically every song, only for a few seconds but what the heeeck. hopefully this gets an update or something! might be checking other distros soon ubuntu keeps losing it's appeal
    Acer Aspire i3 4GB ram 2.63GHZ 640GB HDD...all together. pleh. i miss my toshiba

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Dose anybody read this thread or do they just post hoping for a reply.

THE SLOW PC ISSUE IS CAUSED BY UNITY

This is what I did for my pc to help speed it up. step 1, 2 & 3

1. I had to reinstall my GPU drivers after upgrade from 11.04 as it was also so slow.

2. Also I found on my side is that my CPU is almost maxed out when I cheeked it was the (CLI) running at 98%, All I did is kill proses

3. Updates released! Do the updates and see if they help.

4. Has anybody try using xdiagnose? This package is a friendly GUI application for diagnosing several common X.org problems on Ubuntu.
    X.org diagnosing and repair unity.

5. Also try Changing to other desktop options, like unity 2D or Genome. Replace The Unity Interface With Cairo Dock 2.4

http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/10/repl...airo-dock.html

or even try genome 3 instead of unity.

Quote Originally Posted by alexpotter View Post
    Ubuntu 11.10 was quite slow on my HP Compaq nc6220 machine, about 6-7 years old. It runs with 1.5GB of RAM and an Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz processor - and the Intel 915GM integrated graphics (128MB).

I think the problem is that Ubuntu depends more on Compiz, therefore graphics acceleration and OpenGL is more stressing, so I installed CompizConfig Settings Manager from the Software Centre and disabled a few options

I tweaked the following

1. Under 'Composite' disable 'Detect Refresh Rate'
    2. Under 'OpenGL' disable Sync to VBlank and change Texture Filter to 'Fast'

It immediately took effect on my machine. It was the main thing stopping me to switch to the more responsive GNOME 3 shell.

GNOME 3 is quite fast though, and you may want to take a look. To install it, go to Terminal and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    Or the GNOME Classic version:-

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Hope I could of helped.
    "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others".
    Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are".

=D> KNOWLEDGE IS NOT A PRIVILEGE..................IT’S A NECESSITY =D>

Beans

Since I had just newly installed 11.10 and had little invested in it. I decided to start over with 10.04.

Now all is well. CPU's at 0% when idling and no lag in screen rendering. Don't have the new cool Unity, but oh well...

To recap, with 11.10, my symptoms were:
    - completely unusable in Unity 3D mode (wouldn't even render the icons in the left bar and menus took 5-10 seconds to render)
    - laggy screen redraws in Unity 2D mode
    - high CPU utilization of xorg and (sometimes) compiz in Unity 2D mode, regardless which nVidia drivers installed (tried, 173, 96, post updates of both, and even tried installing latest directly from nVidia)
    - same behavior after installing and trying Gnome
    - same behavior after removing "restricted drivers" (which uses Nouveau?)

All this leads me to something about the version of X installed by 11.10 creates these symptoms with my hardware. I didn't know how (or if it is possible) to downgrade X, so just fell back to 10.04.

This still "feels" like the problem I was plagued with (my card doesn't appear to support Trapezoid rendering).

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...69#post2487669

Can anyone tell me if this would affect Ubuntu 11.10 users? It talks about this problem being in XOrg 1.11, but isn't it likely that this same code would be in the X version of Ubuntu 11.10? I think that version is 1.12, but not sure how to read those version numbers...

Beans

Hey guys, just thought I'd throw my experience in here.

MacBook Pro 7,1 (NVidia 320M)

I was having extreme slowness in launching applications as well. It would sometimes take firefox +4s to launch. I was able to completely eliminate the sluggishness by:

1. installing the latest nvidia driver from the website, 285.something
    2. in nvidia x server settings app, set "powermizer" to "prefer maximum performance"

Immediately, the sluggishness went away. Firefox now opens in slightly over a second. Hope this helps someone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mine ran better last night after an update.
    Turns out a problem with Medibuntu was keeping my updates from loading.

I am idling at 7% or less on both cores now.
    Good enough to get myself in trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I upgraded from 11.04 it was a bit slow and clunky. But today after an upgrade to the new kernel, 3.0, it feels both faster `n` fresher.
    /24.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I switched to Unity 2d and the problem disappeared. I had however some graphical bugs in a java application.
    I did updates and now... I don't even have Unity. I can't access any web browser under linux. In the top bar all I see is "help", "change background" and icons to enter in my folders. So I don't know what to do to get Unity back.

Beans

After a little more hair pulling I found the problem.
    Running Intel Core Duo with 3GB ram and nvidia Gforce graphics.
    The Nvidia driver was the problem.
    Opened the system settings-additional drivers window.
    It was using the graphics driver (version 173).
    Downloaded the (version current) (recommended) driver, after restart the install is running smooth again.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coldbrook7 View Post
    After a little more hair pulling I found the problem.
    Running Intel Core Duo with 3GB ram and nvidia Gforce graphics.
    The Nvidia driver was the problem.
    Opened the system settings-additional drivers window.
    It was using the graphics driver (version 173).
    Downloaded the (version current) (recommended) driver, after restart the install is running smooth again.
    Nice, I want to try but I don't have Unity anymore (gone by itself after downloading the upgrates and installing+reboot). How do I reach the drivers?

Beans

Hi 2 all !
    I'm a new here, in this ubuntu world.
    I've just installed ubuntu 11.04 and used it about 2 weeks.
    In fact everything was fine, but the new update has been released.
    I installed it and figured out the this new ubuntu 11.10 FREEZING LIKE HELL!
    The previous, 11.04, version and this one looks for me like Porsche 311 and ukrainan car Zaporozec (for this who never seen this car, you are lucky ).
    There are lots of lags. In particular every my opening and closing program have delay about 3-10 sec.
    Lots of freezing, the most of them happen just after entering the system.

So the question is: How can I revert this update and return to the 11.04 version.
    Thank you.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast