Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded 11.04->11.10 - system now says raid 1 array degraded

Beans

Re: Upgraded 11.04->11.10 - system now says raid 1 array degraded

Sorry for the many replies to this thread, but I keep finding additional info that may be of value.

I found the following links, which may be related:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859856&page=2
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/fo...st/016682.html

It seems that the hanging on the purple screen is not the caused by mdadm, but probably something else like a graphics driver issue.

This failure probably happens after the mdadm RAID array started successfully. When I then press ctrl+alt+del to reboot, the RAID array is then degraded by not shutting down the RAID array before the reboot. That is why the degraded RAID array is reported on the second boot attempt.

Beans

The "hanging on the purple" screen is itself a bug, as far as I'm concerned. What happens is the error comes up, something runs which give you the opportunity to boot the degraded array, which then times out and drops you into a recovery mode.

Of course, this behavior is totally useless unless you switch the system back out of the mode where it's hiding the boot sequence. It just looks like it's hung. The console is live. If you type "reboot" and hit enter it will restart.

Holding the left (might work with both) shift key down just as grub starts to run will give you the option of booting in recovery(??) mode and you can see the whole thing happening. I've looked at it so many times I'm able to judge where the system is in the boot sequence by looking at the HD activity light, and just hit "y" and return when it gets there before the timeout.

It would be nice to know where this new array (md127) that I didn't create is coming from. Looks like it's doing an mdadm --assemble by itself at boot and ignoring my definition in mdadm.conf.

As there is nothing at all wrong with the array, for now I've reconfigured the system to boot with the degraded array via the config file in initramfs-tools.

I'd still like to know what's going on here.

Beans

After configuring it to boot with degraded raid array, everything is working just fine. System come up, despite what the boot code says the raid array is functioning perfectly. I'm just going to run it like this.

I'm tired of messing with it. I have work to do.

I've not been terribly impressed with the last three Ubuntu releases. Each one has completely messed up at least one system when they were upgraded.

Beans

I checked last night and my /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file was unchanged from the way I set it up with Ubuntu 11.04.

Weird thing is that last night the machine booted correctly and did not hang on the purple screen.

I hope my problem has been resolved, although I am not aware that I did anything that should make a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Add my vote to similar people having the problem after upgrade. My setup uses two mirrored SATA data drives. Operating system is on another drive completely. I did have some upgrade issues (apparently nvidia-current driver related) from 11.04 to 11.10. My current drive situation is:
    1) The system alerts me to the fact that my raid 1 array is borked. It asks me if I want to boot the array degraded. I don't answer, since I'm not sure of the ramifications. The system drops to a INITRAMFS prompt
    2) If I CTRL-ALT-DEL from the INITRAMFS prompt the machine boots fine. The array seems to work fine.

Beans

I am having similar issues, I posted a separate thread on the issue. It looked like the boot degraded was going to fix it, but even that is failing sometimes saying it can't boot degraded. Frankly I don't see why this has to stop my boot.

Even if it was correctly detecting issues, if the system can't mount the arrays it is an issue but unless the system gets all the way up there is not a hell of a lot I can do about it. I would just like a way to turn this option off all together and deal with a down array when it is real after boot.

Beans

I read annagel's other thread and it says something about adding the following line that affect grub:

Code:
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
    I am not sure if this actually fixed the problem or not. I am not even sure what the setting does or in which file to add the line.

I got the idea that it changes the boot sequence to use a text based interface instead of a graphical user interface. I cannot think that this would solve the issue, but maybe it will help to identify exactly what the error is that cause the boot to get stuck on the purple screen.

Beans

I was having problems with my RAID 1 array which had previously worked fine on Natty/Lucid. There was nothing wrong with it, but on every boot either the dreaded 'purple screen of death' popped up or the busybox initramfs screen.

The /proc/mdstat that is dumped out on the 'degraded raid' screen appeared to show that one of my two drives had not been detected before the check on the raids health had been performed. It turns out that mdadm raid arrays are incrementally added to the system via udev rules that you can find in /lib/udev/rules.d/85-mdadm.rules.

This is all well and good, as long as each of the udev rules for each of your drives in the array has fired before the check on the health of the array has occurred. If not all of the devices have come up in time then you'll get the degraded screen - a good old fashioned race condition. This occurs even if there is nothing wrong with any of your drives.

Checking through the initramfs scripts for ocelot/natty/lucid, I couldn't find anywhere where a 'sanity check' is taken to ensure that all members of the array have come up, other than the 'degraded array' screen. I can only assume in previous incarnations of ubuntu the structure of the scripts was such that the race condition didn't occur very much (I did have the odd bad boot where the array wouldn't come up).

I fixed this problem on my hardware by adding a 'udevadm settle' in the following file:

/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/mdadm-functions

In there, look for the following function:

Code:
    degraded_arrays()
    {
            mdadm --misc --scan --detail --test >/dev/null 2>&1
            return $((! $?))
    }
    and change it to:

Code:
    degraded_arrays()
    {
            udevadm settle
            mdadm --misc --scan --detail --test >/dev/null 2>&1
            return $((! $?))
    }
    then do a:

Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    and reboot.

This line makes all current udev rules being processed complete before the health check is made on the array. By then the array should have had chance to correctly assemble.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Thanks dangriffin for your assistance. Your explanation makes sense based on the experiences reported on this thread.

I will definitely go and try you fix and report back here.

I do think however that this issue and solution should be reported to the Ubuntu team so that your fix may be fixed in a future patch or in Ubuntu 12.04. Does anyone know what the correct procedure is to do this? I would assume it has something to do with logging a bug.

Beans

This is great work, I rolled my system back to 11.04 for the time being so I am going to see if I can setup a vmware instance to reproduce the issue and test the solution. I posted it to the bug which has been filed on this an another raid issue (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dm/+bug/872220). If it works this fix should fix the majority of the issues, the second part of the bug is the inability to boot if you have an array too far gone for assembly. For example 1/3 of a raid 5 or even just an old raid 5 disk. both of which will make your system unbootable.

I am also thinking this check may never have even been run in 11.04, as neither the unbootable or missing drive problem appear there and it seems like the check code at least is unchanged.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast