Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded 11.04->11.10 - system now says raid 1 array degraded

Beans

Upgraded 11.04->11.10 - system now says raid 1 array degraded

Upgraded 11.04 amd64 to 11.10 amd64. No errors during upgrade.

After upgrade completed, the now system hangs just before login screen. Booting in recovery mode displays errors that the raid 1 array is having a problem and offers to allow it to be started in degraded mode. If it's started in degraded mode the system boots fine.

I cannot find anything wrong with the array. I can stop and restart the array with no errors whatsoever.

This was working perfectly before the upgrade. Anyone have a clue why it's failing at boot?

Beans

Re: Upgraded 11.04->11.10 - system now says raid 1 array degraded

I have upgraded two machines so far to 11.10 from 11.04 with RAID-1 mirrored drives. Without any problems. Both were originally installed and configured with 10.04 LTS from the alternate install CD. On-line upgrade is the only option I have found to upgrade that will work on RAID-1 mirrored systems.

If your system has similar history then I would suspect a possible hard disk problem causing issues with the RAID. Problem might not have been an issue before the upgrade until the GByte or so download was done and all the files started to be changed. That causes a lot activity on the hard disk, way beyond normal operation. The CLI interface tool is "mdadm" to process RAID devices. You could try hot removing the second drive and then hot adding. Monitor /proc/mdstat for the reconstruction progress.

Hope it helps to identify your problem. Hardest part is always isolating the problem itself. Fix is usually far simpler.

James

Beans

Similar upgrade history, except that raid array is data only. OS/swap/user partitions are all on another single device. The raid array was untouched by the upgrade, it just won't initialize correctly at boot since the upgrade.

According to /proc/mdstat there is nothing wrong with the array. The only issue is with bringing it up at boot.

Beans

You might want to look the file /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

The mdadm monitor process starts up very early in the boot process. My system has a process ID of about 1200 in the process list.

Beans

I have exactly the same problem as billsmithem.

I also have my operating system on a separate drive from the mdadm RAID5 array.

I will check /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf this evening and see if that file may have been altered during the Ubuntu 11.10 upgrade process.

Beans

Yup, been through checking mdadm.conf, though I didn't expect there to be anything wrong there as the array works fine if I bring it up after the system is booted.

Checked both drives smart data and nothing has changed. One has a single remapped bad sector that it lost 15 days after the drive was first brought online (2 years ago) and the other is perfect.

Finally gave up on it. I had enough extra storage space to copy all the data and I recreated the array from scratch. No problems recreating the array at all, but it still won't work, though the problem has changed slightly.

It used to be md0. I recreated md0. Now at boot the system starts up md127 and md0 dissapears. Yes, I've updated mdadm.conf for the new array.

I have no idea where to go from here. I'm about ready to just do a complete re-install. Not such a big deal data-wise as everything but OS is on other drives, but a real PITA getting all the services set up again.

Anyone have any other options before I completely write off this upgrade?

Beans

You might want to check out the bug tracker and see if anything there applies to your problem. If not, then post a new bug report.

I checked and saw a few new bugs but not close enough to the problem to determine if exact or not. The package I was looking at was "dmraid" at the post below.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...tatus:list=NEW

On the right side bar it offers more options to review even more bugs that have been reported.

On my systems, I have several RAID-1 mirrored partitions on two physical drives. So far no problems with any of them. They are all using SATA hard drives on the native SATA controller of the Intel motherboard. I only mention this in case of driver support in the new 3.0.0 kernel for your hardware.

Good luck,
    James

Beans

I can confirm that I also checked the smart data of all my drives and all seems fine. I just used the graphical Disk Utility to check the RAID5 array and the individual drives.

When I power on my PC, it just freezes on a screen with the Ubuntu desktop background with absolutely no information or error messages at all. If I then press ctrl+atl+del on the keyboard, the machine restarts and this time I get the grub boot menu with the following options, although I do not have the exact text for the options:
    • Restart normally
    • Recovery Mode
    • Boot previous Os version
    • Memory test
    • Another memory test

I select the first option to restart normally and this time round I get a black screen which states that the RAID failed to start and asks if I want to start the RAID5 array in a degraded state. I say yes and Ubuntu then starts normally.

I then immediately check Disk utility, which states the RAID5 array is running normally and is not degraded.

I have 6 x 2Tb drives in single a RAID 5 array, so recreating the array is something I would like to avoid.

I previously upgraded from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 and that time everything went fine.

Beans

I found this remark in the comments on one of the dmraid bug reports to add

"bootdegraded=true" to the kernel boot options

Now I am not sure where you add this myself. I am thinking maybe grub on the boot config of the kernel. It is intended to get around an issue of incorrectly detecting RAID drive failures. Maybe it could help here.

James

Beans

I found the following article:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/SoftwareRAID

It states the following:
    Code:
    Boot from Degraded Disk
    If the default HDD fails then RAID will ask you to boot from degraded disk. If your server is located in a remote area, the best practice may be to configure this to occur automatically. Since Ubuntu 8.10 there is a new feature to boot automatically if default RAID disk fail. Simply:

edit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/mdadm
    change "BOOT_DEGRADED=false" to "BOOT_DEGRADED=true"
    NB:

Additionally, this can be specified on the kernel boot line with the bootdegraded=[true|false]
    You also can use #dpkg-reconfigure mdadm rather than CLI!
    This might solve the problem, but currently when I boot I do not get a message saying the array is degraded. It is just a blank screen with no indication of what is wrong. Only after second boot do I get the boot degraded array option.

Something must have changed between Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10. I will try and see toningt if I can figure out what happens, but I am not an expert when it comes to Linux log files and fault finding.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast