Thread: GTK3 theme screwed after launching unity-greeter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

GTK3 theme screwed after launching unity-greeter. gnome-settings-daemon stops working

I accidentally ran the command "unity-greeter" and my theme got screwed. The icons are changed and the buttons don't seem to be ambiance themed anymore. The buttons and icons are the same in Gnome3 shell as well as in unity. Gnome tweak tool doesn't work in changing it back. I also tried reinstalling ubuntu-desktop. It may be a problem with some sort of configuration because the guest session looks fine. I've attached a screenshot. Is there a way to fix it?

Edit: In .xsession-errors there are multiple instances of "(gnome-settings-daemon:6086): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_int32: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_INT32)' failed"...
    Nautilus also consistently crashes after a couple minutes of use with this error: "(gnome-settings-daemon:6086): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_int32: assertion `g_variant_is_of_type (value, G_VARIANT_TYPE_INT32)' failed"

I'm using 64 bit Ubuntu 11.10
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by uilt; October 16th, 2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Clarifying title

Beans
    Distro

Re: GTK3 theme screwed after launching unity-greeter

Okay, it seems to be the same problem as this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/61671...rom-processing Unfortunately, that question was closed off for being unintelligible. I was able to restore some of the windows by adding a settings.ini to ~/.config/gtk-3.0 but is seems to be only a stopgap measure because most of the icons, fonts, and windows are still clearlooks

Update: Running gnome-settings-daemon with gksudo and gnome-tweak-tool with gksudo works...is it some sort of permissions problem that causes gnome-settings-daemon to fall back on clearlooks?
    Last edited by uilt; October 16th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I was able to duplicate your problem by running the ubuntu-greeter. What you listed to fix it would work for that session, but logging out and in has not.

I am going to look into this a bit more when I can - especially as I have (unwisely?) put myself into the same position you were in.

I think maybe removing some .xxxxxx file or folder will allow automatic recreation and fix the problem, as well.
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.

Beans
    Distro

Oh no! D: Yeah, I actually hit this problem when logging in a couple times, but this one is more permanent

I think maybe removing some .xxxxxx file or folder will allow automatic recreation and fix the problem, as well.
    This is probably true. I took another try at it this morning and I was able to "fix" the problem for now by completing replacing my dconf file in ~/.config/dconf with one from a guest session. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly which dconf entry went wrong so I can fix it without destroying my settings for my other apps....

Beans
    Distro

I seemed to have solved the problem!
    unity-greeter seems to have disabled a host of gnome-settings-daemon plugins, so in order to re-enable them, I ran "dconf-editor," and then going to org/gnome/settings-daemon/xsettings and checking the "active" value, gnome-settings-daemon will actually start working properly again. I also enabled a couple other disabled plugins along the way.

Edit: Correct dconf path is org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/xsettings as markjensen pointed out below. Thanks for the correction!

In the end, i managed to get everything back, even my color scheme (carried over somehow from gtk2), although it seems like my docky settings were destroyed along the way somehow
    Last edited by uilt; October 16th, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Fix a mistaken path

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Yup, that did it for me, too!

Just want to clarify the path in dconf-editor a bit more. It is:
    org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/xsettings

Good find!
    Linux Genuine Advantage: I am licensed!

Spouting mindless hatred of all things Microsoft since... ummm... never.

Beans

Hi,

It worked !!!. Thank you so much for the help !!!

Jag

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: GTK3 theme screwed after launching unity-greeter

Thank You so much....

I too tried & got stuck.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it - John Maxwell

Beans

Thats really weired. It also changed my monitor settings what took me a while to re-setup... :-/

But thanks for your steps here! Worked for me! I (re-)activated all of the plugins.

Beans

Talking Re: GTK3 theme screwed after launching unity-greeter

thank it work