Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10: Shutdown stuck Ubuntu screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu 11.10: Shutdown stuck Ubuntu screen

Hi everyone,

I updated my machine from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10. Now when I try to 'shutdown' from the menu, I get to the dark Ubuntu screen with 4 white dots. Nothing seems to happen, the hard disk does not do any work, it just stalls there.

I am not sure what I should do. I've had to press the power button to completely turn it off.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you very much.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10: Shutdown stuck Ubuntu screen

Hi,

I have the same problem, by I updated from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.10. I think that it is a kernel problem. In 10.10 kernel version was 2.6 and in 11.10 is 3.0.

Any hint about what can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Jose Luis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi

Same issue here, upgraded from 11.04 - 11.10, I had the log-in issue others had here (can't log in and being brought back to log in screen again) alongside a weird issue during the first boot post-install where I got a message on the initial four dots boot screen saying that it was waiting for the network to be configured, it got stuck on that screen and then I had to hard reset....

Now, after rebooting a few times, I can boot up and log in fine, but Ubuntu refuses to shutdown, it just gets stuck on the four dots screen and apparently is doing nothing.

syslog and kern.log show nothing of use since there appears to be no obvious logging facilities of the shutdown process.

The same laptop also has UbuntuStudio installed on it and upgrading that has resulted in no issues (other than a pig ugly theme for some reason).

Beans

I too face the same proble. gets stuck in the ubuntu splash screen, never shuts down.
    using i386 version with ati4670 & amd x3-435

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

And another case of it here. This is on a Dell Studio 15 laptop (if it matters).

Upgraded from 10.10 -> 11.04 -> 11.10 yesterday.

Beans

I have the same problem on 3 computers (2 different desktop pc's and 1 Dell Studio 15) here. When shutting down, the system hangs on the plymouth screen (the dots stop flashing on and off too), and the system doesn't power down.

It does seem as if certain parts of the computer (I think the hard drive) shut down, since there is less noise, but the screen remains on, and the fan keeps spinning.

I don't know if it is related, but sometimes my shutdown button (the one in the top-right corner of the screen) doesn't work at all, after pressing 'shut down' the dialog window disappears, and nothing happens. I have to shutdown using 'halt' in a terminal window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmm and now it seems to work!

The only thing I did, was post this message, so I guess that is the current fix...biatch about it on the UB forums and it fixes itself

In all seriousness though, I'll keep an eye and see if it remains fixed and report back.

It does seem one of the limitations of the UB beta testing process is that the upgrade from one release to another gets minimal testing (since most testers I guess either use a standalone machine and a fresh install to test, or the initial upgrade works fine with the alpha releases and so they never get to test a final upgrade). Whenever I have had problems with a new distro upgrade, it has always been with an upgrade and not a new install. Shame, but hard to solve I guess.

Beans

I've been having the same problem with poweroff (upgraded 11.04 to 11.10). Only one time Ubuntu managed to power off correctly, otherwise it gets stuck on poweroff screen. Freeze happens on restarting too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So, it happened again, not fixed, no surprise.

I am thinking it is an issue with our dear friend Network-Manager, which now appears, according to syslog, to load very early on and thus I suspect is being killed very late on.

When shutting down, if I login to another tty and kill lightdm and then issue the shutdown command, I get the message "Killing All Remaining Processes [Fail]" which indicates the shutdown fails because a process isn't dying.

The following seems to work for me, when you want to shutdown, issue the following to get another tty log in screen:

Code:
    Ctrl + Alt + F2

Kill the new GDM (called lightgdm) by issuing:

Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    Then kill network-manager, because it is a right pita (in all honesty, this might be all you need to do, but the above steps allow you to see all the messages Ubuntu spits out as it shuts down to all you to help debug this issue):

Code:
    sudo service network-manager stop
    Then issue the shutdown command

Code:
    sudo shutdown -hP now
    And you should be able to shutdown properly.

Can anyone try this and let me know how it works? It worked for me.

It might also be worth noting I use an encrypted home folder, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway, I'm off to post a bug on launchpad to get some feedback from the guys in the know.y

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ahh, bugger. False alarm, that didn't fix it as this issue just happened to me and those steps didn't fix it.... sad face.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast