Beans

Wink Re: MEdia server with web interface

Quote Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
    looking at the subsonic page.. does it

a) serve as a DAAP server?
    b) how about DLNA?

thanks,
    Mike
    It accutally does show up in itunes similar to Firefly buts not a daap server, as for DLNA im Using MiniDLNA IF you decide to use mini let me know i can help u set it up its very simple. FYI get the start up scrip from the SVN from source forge dotn create your own as it states in the blog. Hopes this helps!
    Last edited by kleverbear; November 14th, 2011 at 12:09 AM.

Beans

Re: MEdia server with web interface

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypigs View Post
    Well as mt-daapd is now dead in the water it may be time to shift on from iTunes streaming, and switch to something more usable and supported (Sorry if that sounds a little blunt!)
    I actually let go of iTunes due to Subsonic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by kleverbear View Post
    I think I can export the playlists (to m3u)... but only _some_ of the DAAP servers handle ratings.. and I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many disconnects when using forked-daapd (almost every 1.5 songs)

I am playing with twonky right now b/c I just got a Sony network media player ($40 refurb) which is DLNA... once the 30-day trial is up, I may try minidlna.

I'm trying to move away from iTunes.. I'm just trying to KEEP/MIGRATE as much of the DATA as I can (ie. ratings and playlists).

Beans

Yeah, you really don't need both when you've got Subsonic, and there is even an iTunes theme available if you miss the interface of iTunes!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
    I am playing with twonky right now b/c I just got a Sony network media player ($40 refurb) which is DLNA... once the 30-day trial is up, I may try minidlna.
    Let me know how it goes with twonky, im looking for something to stream MKV and encode on the fly. i tried twonky a few yrs back im hoping its matured.

Beans
    Distro

Let me know how it goes with twonky, im looking for something to stream MKV and encode on the fly. i tried twonky a few yrs back im hoping its matured.
    I played with it for 20 minutes.. I was impressed at being able to stream video wirelessly to the box.. I did NOT yet try a full 20G BR rip (with mkv).. will give that a try this weekend.

I've got to figure out the playlist thing too.. looking a list of 3000 songs, isn't the ergonomics I'm looking for

Hoping to have time this weekend... life has been busy and not leaving a lot of time for this kind of stuff.

EDIT: I'm not sure I saw Twonky show up in iTunes.. should it? Even tho I'm migrating from Mac being the server to Ubuntu, will still have Mac "clients" wanting to access the "served from linux" material.
    Last edited by zim2dive; November 17th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Beans

Twonky still doesn't transcode on the fly.

PS3mediaserver does, that is what I'm currently using on my media server to stream directly to the TV. I've wound back to version 1.3 (current V is 1.5?) as it seems to work better with my Panny TV.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypigs View Post
    Hi,

My Ubuntu server (Oneric) box is sat sitting vastly under utilised. It's currently running as an FTP server and also has DNSMasq installed, so I thought I'd go about setting up a media server, but have hit so many brick walls it's unreal!

[LIST][*]I've used firefly in the past, but mt-daapd is no longer maintained
    I may have gotten it to compile... using the clue I found in: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11400708

I installed all the dependencies (see the Natty package dependency list on launchpad).. and was able to get thru to the last compile which was failing
    Code:
    rend-unix.c:116:10: warning: ignoring return value of â, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
    gcc  -g -O2  -o mt-daapd -lpthread -lgdbm -lid3tag -lz   main.o uici.o webserver.o configfile.o err.o restart.o daap-proto.o daap.o db-gdbm.o mp3-scanner.o playlist.o lexer.o parser.o strcasestr.o strsep.o redblack.o dynamic-art.o query.o mDNS.o mDNSPosix.o mDNSUNP.o rend-posix.o rend-unix.o      
    main.o: In function `start_signal_handler':
    /home/zimmy/tmp/mt-daapd-0.2.4.2/src/main.c:679: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
    main.o: In function `main':
    /home/zimmy/tmp/mt-daapd-0.2.4.2/src/main.c:943: undefined reference to `pthread_kill'
    /home/zimmy/tmp/mt-daapd-0.2.4.2/src/main.c:944: undefined reference to `pthread_join'
    webserver.o: In function `ws_start':
    etc...etc.. but I ran the last gcc by hand (with lib listing at EOL)
    Code:
    gcc  -g -O2  -o mt-daapd -lpthread -lgdbm -lid3tag -lz   main.o uici.o webserver.o configfile.o err.o restart.o daap-proto.o daap.o db-gdbm.o mp3-scanner.o playlist.o lexer.o parser.o strcasestr.o strsep.o redblack.o dynamic-art.o query.o mDNS.o mDNSPosix.o mDNSUNP.o rend-posix.o rend-unix.o  -lpthread -lgdbm -lid3tag -lz
    and I have a binary now... haven't tested it yet (at work) other than to verify version
    Code:
    ./mt-daapd --help (y|n|e|a)? yes
    ./mt-daapd: invalid option -- '-'
    Usage: ./mt-daapd [options]

Options:
      -d <number>    Debuglevel (0-9)
      -D <mod,mod..> Debug modules
      -m             Disable mDNS
      -c <file>      Use configfile specified
      -p             Parse playlist file
      -f             Run in foreground
      -y             Yes, go ahead and run as non-root user

Valid debug modules:
     config,webserver,database,scan,query,index,browse
     playlist,art,daap,main,rend,misc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Steve54 View Post
    Twonky still doesn't transcode on the fly.

PS3mediaserver does, that is what I'm currently using on my media server to stream directly to the TV. I've wound back to version 1.3 (current V is 1.5?) as it seems to work better with my Panny TV.
    Well no Twonky for me it it cant transcode on the fly. I thought PS3MS was a dead project, i love how it worked but the ram max was 600mb and after awhile the java updates would kill it. I use to use t on a freeNas box loved it for the 3 month it worked. Has it been updated???
    Last edited by kleverbear; November 20th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well no Twonky for me it it cant transcode on the fly. I thought PS3MS was a dead project, i love how it worked but the ram max was 600mb and after awhile the java updates would kill it. I use to use t on a freeNas box loved it for the 3 month it worked. Has it been updated???
    Was finally able to test as well.. agreed Twonky does not seem to transcode.. I had an mkv on my machine, but it did not show up in the list on my DLNA box. Its does show up in the web-based list (via the browser on the server).

To answer a different question, I don't think iTunes will behave as a DLNA/UPnP client.. only as a DAAP client, and I don't see a way for Twonky to do that... so far, I'm not seeing any universally compatible server?

I guess I will try miniDLNA next.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast