Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 11.10 disaster

Beans

ubuntu 11.10 disaster

greetings!
    I updated to UBuntu 11.10 a few hours ago.
    It changed everything I Loved about Ubuntu
    /end-exaggeration

But seriously, it changed so many good things.
    I can't find the "minimize all windows" button.
    The time and date tab up the top doesn't have the Picture of the Earth in Day and in Night, it doesn't have anything it used to have it was cool, and it is just complete failure!
    How do I revert back to how it was, to the old GUI?

HALP MEH!

Beans

Re: ubuntu 11.10 disaster

why did they take away the show-desktop button, and remove the top bar? and make it change into the windows top bar?
    why did they change the date and time tab to not include the awesome shadow-light, day-night of the Earth?(which was my favourite thing ever)?

Beans

Hi, you could try to get back to classic desktop by doing:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Then logout and login with chosing classic desktop in the settings of the login screen.

This worked for me but left me with my classic desktop settings gone (of course, it has been uninstalled when upgrading, but why? And why are you not informed about it?) and a totally messed up font size, especially in Eclipse.

Then again, how complicated can it be to add a setting for fontsize or even dpi in the systems settings? You have to install an extra software to changes that by GUI..ridiculous.

And those are only the problems I encountered until now...

The new ubuntu really sucks and I think about going to debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In general, I agree with everything said so far, we all seem to dislike change. Try the pure Gnome3 shell, I've gotten used to it and it's the best option so far for me in 11.10 Ubuntu Desktop.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    boot_info_script by meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    unetbootin to burn liveCD/USB
    Repair Windows7 Boot
    Partitioning

Beans

I Understand the Change part is a shock.
    But in reality, the removal of the day-night thing in the tab, it sucks.
    and where s the show desktop button lol

Beans

@Hakuna-Matata:
    Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.

And it is not about disliking change. I really looked forward to updates in Ubuntu and liked most of the changes but this time it is a forced change...

Linux always gave the feeling of having things under control (well, kind of and now you have no choices and are left with a messed up system...great...

Beans

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Thanks. This partly helped but all my customization disappeared, my shortcuts, etc... The menu is broken...Much of the good old desktop doesn't work anymore. But still it's less bad than Unity. Gosh, I'm so mad at this stuff, when they change things that work for something that is not good and when they do it without asking during installation...
    Charles.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's not Ubuntu's fault Gnome is changing. I personally find Unity more usable than pure Gnome 3. And going with Debian just because of day-night thingy wouldn't solve anything since next Debian will come with Gnome 3 too.

For minimizing windows use Ctrl+Alt+D shortcut.

Beans

@calande:
    Yes, I think reason for loosing your settings and menu is that the classic desktop is being uninstalled during update.

Beans

Not to mention all things that stopped working, when I am idle, I have to type in my password again (I had fixed it), when I start my computer, I'm logged in using the wrong version (Ubuntu 3D instead of 2D), with a cross instead of my mouse pointer, nothing working (have to log out and log back in with 2D only). I'm unable to create application shortcuts (option greyed out). My DVB-T system stopped working with VLC. I'm unable to reorder icons of the Unity bar, I can't move this bar either...Too many problems to name them all :'(
    I just wonder how this release got through with no one to speak out...
    Charles.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast