Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Different Wallpaper for each desktop in ubuntu 11.10

Great!
    It's working.
    i) gnome-tweak-tool
    Have file manager handle the desktop: Off
    ii) ccsm
    Wallpaper, and set the wallpapers...
    Activate it (and also activate de JPG plugin)

At that's it! Not necessary to logout and login again.

Thank you all.
    Jorge Gustavo Rocha
    --
    Universidade do Minho
    OSGeoPT

Beans

Sorry, I know this thread is meant to be solved.

But...

After doing all of these things, I managed to get 4 different backgrounds, which is great.

However, things become unstable, even after logging in and out again. For example, when I minimize a window, everything kind of freezes up. And there is also no right-click menu.

The original post makes reference to this guide:

http://ubuntuguide.net/ubuntu-11-04-...ach-workspaces

The guide states that you need to deselect 'show_desktop' in gconf-editor. This setting is not present in 11.10, although you can do the same thing by installing Advanced Settings and turning off 'Have file manager handle the desktop'.

The guide then says that you should install a new launcher, such as GLX-Dock. Is this essential, or is there a way that you can use the Unity launcher with the Wallpaper function in Compiz without everything going awry?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Different Wallpaper for each desktop in ubuntu 11.10

I do not think this is solved.

I have tried all of the above steps:
    1) Installed ccsm/extra plugins and advanced settings.
    2) Changed advanced settings to not manage the desktop
    3) Updated the wallpaper to have the exact same number of .jpg images as desktops and then activated the wallpaper setting.

The wallpaper turns to a solid black color for all workspaces. I of course have the .jpg support activated in ccsm. I've edited the number of desktops trying this with from 1 to 9 desktops under "general settings" in ccsm, adjusted the number of workspaces from 4 to 9, manually turned off desktop control in gconf-editor desktop-->gnome-->draw desktop, tried every different cube setting, and tried every desktop wall setting. The best I can do is the black screens. If I turn back on desktop control I get one workspace background that was defined using the normal "change desktop wallpaper" method of right clicking the desktop.

Beans

I Have tried but nothing happened
    1. Installed Advanced Setting
    --> 'Desktop' and Turn 'Have file manager handle the desktop' to OFF.
    2. CCSM --> Utilities --> Wallpaper --> Added 4 wallpapers --> Enabled -- Closed
    3. Logged off and logged in

Nothing happened, Please guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Alright I know its been a while since this was answered so I'll do my best, I'm by no definition an expert on this.

@jammaj: we talked about the "show_desktop" on the first page of this thread, its depreciated and no longer has an effect on the OS. The right click issue you're having is because of the fact that there is physically no desktop there anymore, just the image. The next best thing you can do is create a launcher icon directed at your desktop folder to access anything you have there easily. Also, I have it working with Unity, there is no need to install another desktop manager.

@cracgor: I have the "draw_background" enabled in gconf-editor, not sure if that's your problem or not.

now onto what my configuration is:
    1. not sure if this would affect anything, but I do have "show_desktop" disabled in gconf-editor. I know its not supposed to, but better safe than sorry.
    2. In Gnome-Tweak-Tools, now called "Advanced Settings" under the "Desktop" option I have every option turned off.
    3. In CCSM I have:
    a. Both JPEG and Png enabled in the "Image Loading" section
    b. Desktop Wall enabled, NOT Desktop Cube under the "Desktop" section
    c. Ubuntu Unity Plugin enabled, though I believe I had to manually enable it after applying the other compiz settings.
    d. Also under "Desktop" I have Viewport Switcher and Expo enabled.
    e. Inside the Desktop Wall plugin, under the tab Viewport Switching, in the Non Sliding Windows option, I have "type=dock | type=Desktop | state=Sticky

Not sure if this will help anybody else struggling, I'm on a Dell Inspiron and I've got it working fine. will keep trying to assist if I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unfortunately this trick won't work with EasyStroke AFAIK. It was annoying enough to have to whitelist EasyStroke in the notification area in the Dconf Editor to get EasyStroke working in the first place, I had to disable the Compiz Wallpaper so that I could have my EasyStroke working properly again. Anyone know of a workaround?
    My LAMPP: http://delltuxlamp.no-ip.org
    The Ubuntu install disc I use on my Everex StepNote laptop: http://www.fitzenreiter.de/averatec/index-e.htm
    Get dropbox!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation Re: Different Wallpaper for each desktop in ubuntu 11.10

THIS IS NOT SOLVED!!!

We need a clean solution, not something that seems like fixed with duck tape.

-----------------------------

By the way, please stop forcing the users to be your beta testers.

It would be nice to have in consideration that they had set up their computer in one way before changing everything.

We cannot have our computer stop working and spend hours or days to fix them every time there is a new version to update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey now, I've fixed a lot of things with duct tape; my phone, knife sheath, computer case, my truck . . .

anyways, I've definitely got it working, as do several other people. I don't remember the order of the steps that I did to get it to this point, but once you get it you don't gotta mess with it anymore. Basically just keep playing with settings and restarting the system, eventually you'll get it. Everything you need is throughout this thread, just don't give up on it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

i used sudo gnome-tweak-tool

under Desktop, set have file manager handle the desktop to off. Then use Wallpapers in CCSM to choose your wallpapers.

Just move them up or down to change the desktops u want them on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12