Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different Wallpaper for each desktop in ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Different Wallpaper for each desktop in ubuntu 11.10

I recently upgraded to ubuntu 11.10 Onieric Ocelot and really loving the vast improvement over the previous version. However, there's one minor issue i can't seem to find an answer for: Compiz's multiple wallpapers.

I followed this post for ubuntu 11.04:

http://ubuntuguide.net/ubuntu-11-04-...ach-workspaces,

but when i got to /apps/nautilus/preferences, show_desktop entry doesnt exist. I searched for it and found a few entries already unchecked.

How do you get multiple wallpapers to work in Oneiric? Cause the old ways of doing it doesnt work anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Different Wallpaper for each desktop in ubuntu 11.10

I'm working on the same problem. I had it update overnight and when I came back this morning my wallpapers were gone (only had a black wallpaper and the icons are back). After playing with the settings I got it to work at one point, but I lost my desktop bar and Unity. I don't remember how I did it though. Still experimenting, no luck yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Same here. Unable to set one wallpaper for each desktop. And I really had problems trying to revert after enabled the Wallpaper in ccsm.
    Jorge Gustavo Rocha
    --
    Universidade do Minho
    OSGeoPT

Beans
    Distro

i just noticed that when I'm in gconf-editor and I'm looking at the "show_desktop" it tells me "This key has no schema". further looking shows that everything under the "nautilus" grouping has the same message except for the "desktop-metadata" as it just doesn't open.
    So 1: everybody getting the same results?
    and 2: any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As for the "show desktop" entry in gconf-editor... it may be deprecated. Please try the following (just an idea, didn't try it myself yet): Install "gnome-tweak-tool" if you haven't already. On the left side look for an entry like "workspace" or something (don't know how it's called, I use german system language), and uncheck "Have file manager handle the desktop". Then go on to ccsm... I hope it works - let me know!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SushiR View Post
    As for the "show desktop" entry in gconf-editor... it may be deprecated. Please try the following (just an idea, didn't try it myself yet): Install "gnome-tweak-tool" if you haven't already. On the left side look for an entry like "workspace" or something (don't know how it's called, I use german system language), and uncheck "Have file manager handle the desktop". Then go on to ccsm... I hope it works - let me know!

I think you're right, it may have been deprecated.

'Gnome Tweak Tool' is now called 'Advanced Setting' when you search for it in Ubuntu Software Centre. Once installed, Run it and look for 'Desktop' and Turn 'Have file manager handle the desktop' to OFF.

VOILA!!! Works Like A Charm!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

CHEERS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Pampanga View Post
    I think you're right, it may have been deprecated.

'Gnome Tweak Tool' is now called 'Advanced Setting' when you search for it in Ubuntu Software Centre. Once installed, Run it and look for 'Desktop' and Turn 'Have file manager handle the desktop' to OFF.

VOILA!!! Works Like A Charm!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

CHEERS!
    I'm glad I could be of some help. You're welcome!

Beans
    Distro

took a bit of playing around with the different compiz tweaks, but its working great now. thanks a ton!

Beans

Can you please explain how you've successfully managed to do it?
    I did turn off the "Handle..." in Advanced Tweaks, but whenever I press Enable this Plugin in
    CCMS -> Wallpaper

nothing happens

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pioka View Post
    Can you please explain how you've successfully managed to do it?
    I did turn off the "Handle..." in Advanced Tweaks, but whenever I press Enable this Plugin in
    CCMS -> Wallpaper

nothing happens
    As well as switching on the Wallpaper plugin, you have to switch on the .jpg plugin, then log out and log back in again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast