Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Linux? Because Linux is better!

Beans

Re: Why Linux? Because Linux is better!

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    Not similar, almost the same! The Mac OS was built on UNIX and still is, just heavily modified....
    I wasn't aware that "similar" and "almost the same" were different.

Also, while the underlying system may be very similar, the user interfaces are quite different, and even with all the customisation we have, you can only get so close to the same experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheNosh View Post

Also, while the underlying system may be very similar, the user interfaces are quite different, and even with all the customisation we have, you can only get so close to the same experience.
    But that's OK. Linux is doing just fine. For those that know it and live it, it's perfect.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    But that's OK. Linux is doing just fine. For those that know it and live it, it's perfect.
    I wasn't saying it should be the same, I was just pointing out that it's not. They may both have degrees of Unix heritage, and be similar under the hood, but there are many glaring differences.

The main point is that I don't think the two are similar enough that every Mac user could switch to Linux comfortably. I'm fine with that, though. I use Linux; they don't have to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheNosh View Post

Really? You should brush up on your English in that case, huge difference

Anyway, actually if you look at a screenshot of 11.04 with the Unity bar at the bottom and the Mac purple universe background, you could EASILY fool people into thinking it was MAC OS X 10....

We can customize our OS to look very, very similar to Mac OS but they can't say the same..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    Really? You should brush up on your English in that case, huge difference

Anyway, actually if you look at a screenshot of 11.04 with the Unity bar at the bottom and the Mac purple universe background, you could EASILY fool people into thinking it was MAC OS X 10....

We can customize our OS to look very, very similar to Mac OS but they can't say the same..
    Similar = alike but not identical.
    In other words: Almost the same.

Anyway, on to stuff that actually matters: Most people that want Macs don't really care that they can't customise it. They like the way it works and want to leave it that way.

If you want to customise everything, have at it. I know it's one of the things I enjoy about Linux. Most people, however, don't have any real interest in toying with their computer's interface.

Also, while we can make Linux look very much like a Mac, as I said, we can't make it act quite like one. Switching your average Mac user to Linux would not be a seamless transition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123