Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost some icons on upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10

Beans

Question Lost some icons on upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10

I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 yesterday. The upgrade says it failed - error on installing flashplayer, flashplayer-installer and colord. But I think I've fixed those.

However the individualised icons I had in the launcher for Terminal, Screenshot, System Monitor, Rubbish Bin, Workspace Switcher and Filesystems have all been replaced with identical bland icons (grey window with a title bar). Strangely though, some icons have not been replaced and are as they should be - e.g., Firefox.

Likewise some icons are missing altogether from the System Settings window: Appearance, Keyboard Layout, Language Support, Screen, Keyboard, Mouse and Touchpad, Network, Printing, System Info, Universal Access and User Accounts. All the others are still present though (eg., Online Accounts, Ubuntu One, Additional Drivers).

Does anyone know how I can get my icons back please?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ubifree; October 15th, 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: adding picture

Beans

Re: Lost some icons on upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10

I've got the same or a similar program. I can understand that a few installed apps may not have a compatible icon yet, but Home Folder, Terminal, Workspace Switcher and Trash don't have icons in the sliding toolbar on the left of the screen. As far as I know, those are default apps and I would think there are icons. Is there a solution? I have looked at similar threads and none have a real solution. Thanks.
    Last edited by lingenfr; October 15th, 2011 at 01:58 PM.

Beans

I'm seeing the same problem. This release is the worst. I'm ready to rewind the clock.

Beans

Same thing, I lost Trash, Workspace Switcher, Terminal, Home Folder and the icon for my second physical hard drive (sdb1), replaced by the default(?) icon.

Beans

I fixed it almost by accident. Go to System Settings > Appearance. At the bottom there is a dropdown for different themes - Ambiance, Radiance, etc. Choose a different one to the one you had and you'll see all your icons reappear! You can even change back to the theme you just had.

All my icons have reappeared - Home Folder, Rubbish Bin, etc, in the Launcher bar, and all the icons in my System Settings dialog. The Gear cog that was missing from the top right of the screen has also reappeared - phew!

Beans

that was it. Thanks

Beans

Joy, thanks for posting this fix!

Beans

That sure isn't working for me. I've switched to other themes and gone back and I'm still missing all of those icons. Firefox looks like crap, too (the tabs, menu bar, look like the theme has broken and it's dropped down to some generic Gnome look).

Can't Ubuntu release a new OS without major issues? Then again, can't I learn to not install the latest version immediately? But then again, I did a fresh install to rid myself of bugginess in version 11.04. Oops. Now what? These last two versions have been a nightmare.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Lost some icons on upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by Chibana View Post
    That sure isn't working for me. I've switched to other themes and gone back and I'm still missing all of those icons. Firefox looks like crap, too (the tabs, menu bar, look like the theme has broken and it's dropped down to some generic Gnome look).

Can't Ubuntu release a new OS without major issues? Then again, can't I learn to not install the latest version immediately? But then again, I did a fresh install to rid myself of bugginess in version 11.04. Oops. Now what? These last two versions have been a nightmare.
    Same exact thing as this and the above. Icons on the Launcher are missing for the same things (Trash, etc). Using Dash ("The Long Way") to get to Themes and changing did not work. Relogging did not work.

I have a system running 10.04 and it is humming along nicely, ever since I installed 10.04. I have not needed to adjust ANYTHING on that one since booting off of the CD.

The 11's as a whole are just atrocious and I await the 12's and the change away from the Dash and Launcher perhaps to something new that works.

Beans

It worked for me, but I had to select Radiance, then I could select any one and had all my icons. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast