Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 2nd OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 2nd OS?

Hello, all
    what is the benefit of using Ubuntu as a second OS. Why do people choose to use Linux as another OS to take up HD space? If you don't want it as a primary why have it at all? Can anyone give any ideas? A short response is all I need, though I like reading the in depths ones to. I appreciate all of the comments!

Just a brief explanation of my use, I run Ubuntu 11.04 on both my systems. I run it on my main desktop. though it may be harder to customize, it still supports older hardware like mine. I like the fact I have to get closer to my OS to use and understand it. Some people don't understand because they are in the ease of use category of technology users. I like a challenge every time I turn on my computer. If I cannot modify, change, update, or make it my own way then it's not for me. I also LOVE the community that comes pre-installed thats you guys!!!
    Last edited by Calerid; October 18th, 2011 at 09:08 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 2nd OS?

Because they can.

Beans

Because people use different OSes for different purposes. A gamer might boot Windows only when gaming, and use Ubuntu for everything else. A web designer might use Ubuntu for everything, but Windows to test Safari(?) and Internet Explorer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Calerid View Post
    Hello, all
    what is the benefit of using Ubuntu as a second OS. Why do people choose to use Linux as another OS to take up HD space? If you don't want it as a primary why have it at all? Can anyone give any ideas?
    Well, I used a Windows Dreamapark Windows Server 2008 R2 copy version as my primary OS to use PS and Office, and some other softwares which are chosen to be our school's default teaching softwares.
    Using Ubuntu as the second OS, because It's free and is widely supported now. I can get o different experience by installing and using Linux.
    By the way, it's beautiful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, thank you for the bottom two responses. That is more what I was looking for. As for the first not really helpful, it was more of a psychological and logical question. I wanted to know what exactly it was that drives some people to take the time to install to foreign to one another OS's.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Calerid View Post
    Well, thank you for the bottom two responses. That is more what I was looking for. As for the first not really helpful, it was more of a psychological and logical question. I wanted to know what exactly it was that drives some people to take the time to install to foreign to one another OS's.
    If you look at at it from another perspective, the first response makes sense and was helpful. There are many people who do things simply because they can. It may not fit in with the type of response you were looking for, but there are some people like that.

Beans

I actually have 3 different OS installed on my primary drive. Old winxp, win7, and Ubuntu.

I spend 90% of the time in ubuntu but sometimes that windows gaming itch demands to be scratched! It's so simple to have multiple OS, I wonder why you wouldnt have it.

Of course, if disk space is an issue, I can see your concern.
    There was a king who ruled the land.
    His majesty was in command.
    With silver eyes the scarlet eagle
    Showers silver on the people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Another aspect is in case one OS crashes you can still work and recover your data.
    A stopped clock shows right time twice a day

Beans

Its always a really good idea to have your data (music, pics, personal info, etc.) on a separate physical HD!

Who knows when you'll type the dreaded rm -ref *.* in a caffeine laden haze...
    I used to laugh, then I did it by accident. Shame

(it deletes every file. Dont do this!!!!!)
    Last edited by Leaf; October 16th, 2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: dangerous command warning
    There was a king who ruled the land.
    His majesty was in command.
    With silver eyes the scarlet eagle
    Showers silver on the people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ibutho View Post
    If you look at at it from another perspective, the first response makes sense and was helpful. There are many people who do things simply because they can. It may not fit in with the type of response you were looking for, but there are some people like that.
    I did indeed ask for a logical response in the beginning though. That said, I did define my question and my wanted responses. Because I can does not define the logical course of thought behind it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast