Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webcam Mic not working properly in Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Webcam Mic not working properly in Ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizz3 View Post
    It can take black and white photos/video fine, but if I turn back on the color it looks like this (attached).
    I get that if I choose a high resolution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by hemebond View Post
    I get that if I choose a high resolution.
    I hadn't thought of that so I tried changing the resolution (and all other settings in Cheese) and same thing - still weird lines going across, saturation is all wrong, and parts of photo are black and white.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Arkara,

You saved me and many from a world of hassle. Your solution worked. Thank you. I came so so close to using another distro.

Peace

Beans

Hey I had a similar problem with my logitech c210 on ubuntu 11.10. I fixed it by installing qc-usb-source from synaptic package manager...it seems to work fine now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great simple solution. Many Thanks

Beans

Hey,

I had the same problem on two different computers (my Kubuntu on a 64 bit PC and my Ubuntu 10.10 running on my Acer One), both with Pulse Audio.

I spent about a week tweaking on it and I fixed it. thru no help of anyone whatsoever. While everyone had bright ideas that seemed to work for them, none worked for me.

Then a week later, I was poking around the skype forum and someone was using pavucontrol to adjust his stereo output. So I did the standard sudo apt-get install pavucontrol. Then I gave it a whirl and caught something evil.

On my Acer One: If you run pavucontrol and go to input devices, it sees my microphone as a stereo input. I noticed when I 'unlinked' the left/right channels and turned the RIGHT channel all the way DOWN, and the LEFT channel all the way up, the microphone instantly started working. Skype fixed.

On my Kubuntu PC: Whenever Skype was up and running, pavucontrol detected Skype was trying to use the microphone jack for a source and not my Logitech webcam mic. So I clicked on the button and changed the source over to webcam mic. Problem was instantly fixed.

While the Ubuntu Linux Gods found this problem uninteresting, I hope this posting will one day help out another of us little people.

Beans

mmm Arkara didn't seem to help me with my C510...

Beans

oh dear how simple to fix...found I had to select the mic from the webcam under Input in Sound Settings...for some reason it didn't do this automatically!

1. Left-click on the speaker icon (by default at the right of the top desktop panel next to the network applet) and select Sound Preferences
    2. In Sound Preferences, select the Input tab

Beans

Just plugged in new C510 and had mic problems too...took me ages to find this...oh dear how simple to fix...found I had to select the mic from the webcam under Input in Sound Settings...for some reason it didn't do this automatically!

1. Left-click on the speaker icon (by default at the right of the top desktop panel next to the network applet) and select Sound Preferences
    2. In Sound Preferences, select the Input tab

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had the same issue and some people are saying that it is a kernel problem; however, I noticed that the mic worked ok in Audacity although manual steps needed to be taken to choose the right mic.

That led me to believe that it was not a kernel issue in my case at least...

I then proceeded to install pavucontrol and running it while attempting the test call with skype showed that skype (as well as other programs) were defaulting to the regular mic jack and therefore getting no signal since I didn't have anything plugged there. pavucontrol allowed me to change this skype selection to the usb mic and voila! everything works!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast