Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 : A serious setback

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 : A serious setback

Hey folks,

Am I the only one who thinks Unity is crap?

I downloaded and installed 11.10 yesterday. Compared to Gnome 2, Unity is junk. I finally threw my hands up with Unity after not being able to change the font size and went to Gnome 3 ... more garbage.

I logged out and switched to Gnome 2 ("Gnome Classic" .. lol). Finally some sanity.

What is missing? The Trash Can and the ability to change fonts. Also the upper and lower bars have lost their functionality. The ability to change to a decent theme is also missing (Where the minimize and maximize buttons are on the right-hand-side! Hello!! Anyone listening!!).

This message is to Corporate: Don't change what isn't broken! Gnome 2 was MUCH better then Windows. I even changed my System 7 interface to look more like Gnome. Forget Unity. Any newbie who downloads and uses Unity will never stick with the OS.

This lease is a failure. If anyone can tell me how to get a trash can on to "Gnome Classic" please enlighten me.

Thank you

ps Ubuntu Tweak isn't working either .. another flaw.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 : A serious setback

I found it folks...

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Install that. Go to Applications > Other > Advanced

You can put a trash can and change your font.

SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If your not happy with unity download the lts 10.04 or another version. As for myself I think unity is very stable for a young desktop environment. Or just stick around and give it a little time. It does taking getting use to.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am a Ubuntu newbie and Unity is the main reason I AM sticking with linux

Beans

First of all let me say, I didn't switch to 11.04 because:
    - it was slow
    - it was buggy
    - it had unity on its face..

I hated it, switched back to 10.10, which isn't flawless but worked very fine for me.

Now I downloaded 11.10 to check it out, I have just installed it.. My impression on the first 15 minutes is:

- it's fast and smooth
    - it's by the far the most beautiful one in the family (that's ubuntu's family not mine!).
    - you can do with a bit more customizability..
    - the left menu still look like a stone. (wouldn't say no to a few hover/click effects)

It's too early though to talk about bugs.. We'll see on that..

So overall, I'm really happy with it (so far), and I'm sticking with it (unity too, for now at least). If it stays the way it is right now, this will have to be the best version of Ubuntu ever made.

And djsjbh, just give it some time.. It looks a bit strange for you now, but so far for me, it looks really solid, practical, and pretty.. Just give it some time to get used to it, and if you can solve two of your biggest problems by yourself in 23 minutes, imagine how many things could change in a week..

From somebody who HATED unity when it was first released I'd say, give it another chance..

I'll put a more detailed review after I have used it for a longer time..

Beans

Thanks for the input folks...

I really love Ubuntu, this is what really rocks me when I see a setback. Ubuntu was the first flavor a Linux that was actually better than Windows and I've used it as my main OS for about 4 years. I gave Unity a try for the second time yesterday. It's okay for someone who wasn't use to the functionality of Gnome 2. I turned my friend on the Ubuntu last year and set him up with Gnome 2. He switched to Unity and loves it. He's never even thought about installing Windows.

I don't know, Gnome 2 was just too easy, it works too well. I can't right-click on anything in Unity, I can't make any adjustments.

Just my opinion I suppose. Thank you again

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by djsjbh View Post
    Hey folks,

Am I the only one who thinks Unity is crap?

I downloaded and installed 11.10 yesterday. Compared to Gnome 2, Unity is junk. I finally threw my hands up with Unity after not being able to change the font size and went to Gnome 3 ... more garbage.

I logged out and switched to Gnome 2 ("Gnome Classic" .. lol). Finally some sanity.

What is missing? The Trash Can and the ability to change fonts. Also the upper and lower bars have lost their functionality. The ability to change to a decent theme is also missing (Where the minimize and maximize buttons are on the right-hand-side! Hello!! Anyone listening!!).

This message is to Corporate: Don't change what isn't broken! Gnome 2 was MUCH better then Windows. I even changed my System 7 interface to look more like Gnome. Forget Unity. Any newbie who downloads and uses Unity will never stick with the OS.

This lease is a failure. If anyone can tell me how to get a trash can on to "Gnome Classic" please enlighten me.

Thank you

ps Ubuntu Tweak isn't working either .. another flaw.

You are not alone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's really not that bad. You may as well get used to it or switch to something like XFCE. Bitching is not going to get you a new window manager. Now fire up the terminal and install xfce4!!

Or try xubuntu or crunchbang or fedora or mint or debian or centos or suse oorrrrrrrrr... you get the idea.

Beans

hi
    i been testing and using ubuntu starting with 5.10,I have installed and used just about ever version that was offered by ubuntu.
    #1 the launcher option is gone when right clicking the desktop!
    #2 can't add your own icons to top bar!
    #3 seems you can only open one file window at a time!
    #4 sudo nautilus works but wont let you copy a file into file system (/usr/)
    there was an error getting information about "aupdate"
    operation not supported
    sorry guys this isn't a bug it is control
    #5 had to tell it what a gedit file from 10.04 was and the program to use to open it realy whattttttttttttttttttttt!
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...egarding-unity
    the first response from Scott says it all in the last few paragraphs.
    once something is taken away you very seldom get it back.

Beans

Another hater here. I am very bothered by this release, and had to take quite a bit of time out of my work day in order to reinstall 11.04 as I simply can not work in that bogus UI. I find it completely maddening and with the complexity and sophistication of a toddlers toy.

The unity launcher is complete and utter junk. The global menu will cause carpal tunnel for a whole new generation of users, and the lack of customizablity is a huge step backwards for ubuntu and linux.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast