Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Server 11.10 - Proftpd not starting

Beans

Upgrade to Server 11.10 - Proftpd not starting

Hi everybody, I'm running Ubuntu server on a virtual machine for about 5 months or more. I didn't have any configuration problem and everything was working before I upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu Server (11.10). Now, my FTP server won't start again, the console returns the following message :

Code:
    * Starting ftp server proftpd
    - mod_tls/2.4.2: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.0d 8 Feb 2011' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011' library
    - Fatal: LoadModule: error loading module 'mod_vroot.c': Operation not permitted on line 74 of '/etc/proftpd/modules.
    [fail]
    As you can see, it seems that I have a problem with my mod_tls for proftpd. It looks like that this module was compiled with an old version of OpenSSL, but I really don't know how I can fix it and/or how I can compile a new version by myself. Another thing I figured out from the upgrade. The installation setup has somehow changed my encryption's configuration. My website, which can be viewed securely, is no more protected with an 256-bit AES protection, but with a Camellia-256 encryption! What does this mean? Does this change can have some impact on my system?

Thanks in advance for your help guys! I hope this is a known bug!
    Dave

Beans

Re: Upgrade to Server 11.10 - Proftpd not starting

Hi Dave

I had the same problem on my local development server this morning, I installed the package "proftpd-mod-vroot" which was listed on my server's package manager but not actually installed.

I am by no means an expert, this may not be the best answer, but it worked for me. Own risk etc etc! )

Alan

Beans

I am in a jam now. I tried to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 on my Ubuntu Server install. It went through everything and hung when it came to putting MSconfttf I think it was called. I restarted hoping it would pick back. Now the server starts but is after it starts ftp server proftpd. now just blinking cursor. My Ubuntu desktop is not there what can I do to fix this?

macmike
    mail(at)mikealrhughes(dot)com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by botanic View Post
    Hi Dave

I had the same problem on my local development server this morning, I installed the package "proftpd-mod-vroot" which was listed on my server's package manager but not actually installed.

I am by no means an expert, this may not be the best answer, but it worked for me. Own risk etc etc! )

Alan
    Oh so you say that you had the same problem as me and you fixed it by installing the package "proftpd-mod-vroot"? Oh well, I'll take I try then, thanks for the advice! I'll just take a snapshot of my VM and if nothing works, I'll just go back.

@macmike : Sorry Macmike, but I can't help you with this problem, we need to know the exact package name. Also, why are you using Ubuntu Server with a user interface?

Beans

Thank you...install proftpd-mod-vroot solved my problem..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWut View Post
    Oh so you say that you had the same problem as me and you fixed it by installing the package "proftpd-mod-vroot"? Oh well, I'll take I try then, thanks for the advice! I'll just take a snapshot of my VM and if nothing works, I'll just go back.

@macmike : Sorry Macmike, but I can't help you with this problem, we need to know the exact package name. Also, why are you using Ubuntu Server with a user interface?
    The reason I am using Desktop with a Server is there are other things I wish to do as well besides it being a server.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macmike View Post
    The reason I am using Desktop with a Server is there are other things I wish to do as well besides it being a server.
    Ok, I was just asking!

Well, installing proftpd-mod-vroot didn't fix the problem. When I'm trying to start proftpd, the same error occured, but I get an additionnal error :
    Code:
     * Starting ftp server proftpd                                                   
     - mod_tls/2.4.2: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.0d 8 Feb 2011' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011' library
     - mod_sftp/0.9.7: compiled using OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.0d 8 Feb 2011' headers, but linked to OpenSSL version 'OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011' library
    I think the OpenSSL installed after the update is NOT compatible with all proftpd module that requires SSL. Is there's a way to obtained OpenSSL 1.0.0d?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by botanic View Post
    Hi Dave

Alan
    Thanks Botanic, it worked for me. I had the same problem, upgraded from 11.04 x64 to 11.10 and proftpd didn't start because of mod_vroot.c.
    Now works fine
    Asus eeePC 1215B

Beans

Smile Re: Upgrade to Server 11.10 - Proftpd not starting

Originally Posted by botanic
    Hi Dave

Alan
    Thanks! this also worked for me after upgrading from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10x64. Didn't like having to SSH all the time so its nice to have my ftp back!
    Last edited by kylecoots; October 18th, 2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: added quote

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

installed that package, reinstalled proftpd and openssl and the warning messages still persists.

http://www.proftpd.org/docs/howto/TLS.html - tells us that this si moer of a warning than an error message.. Proftpd starts fine but it'd be nice not to have the warning message
    Do Daemons Dream of Electric Sleep() ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast