Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do I go back to 11.04?

Beans

Re: How do I go back to 11.04?

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    I'm just curious, did you get gnome2 or gnome3 with this command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    if you run this install command you'll get both gnome 3 and gnome-shell at the login screen too.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    To be quite honest with you, I don't know. It doesn't look the same as it did with the previous version. I have my panels back, but there's only 2 options to choose from, Applications and Places. I'm thinking there were 2 more before, System and Preferences I believe. I just need to spend some time with it to try and figure everything out. The main thing right now is trying to figure out how to add things to the panel. I had the hardware sensors applet that monitored my system temps. and a force quit feature to close out an unresponsive program. I miss not being able to see my temps, so I definitely want to get that one figured out ASAP. These are the current options available to me at the login screen now. I have Gnome classic, Gnome classic (no effects), Recovery Console, Ubuntu, Ubuntu 2D and User Defined Session.
    Mobo-XFX mg-610i-7059 GeForce 7050,Processor-Intel Pentium D945 3.4GHZ DT 800FSB,3GB crucial RAM, HD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/16MB SATA-3G 500GB,
    Legalize the Constitution!

Beans

Also had my panels on auto-hide, cannot find how to do that under any of the shell options now: there goes some screen space for no reason.

Cannot see any GUI for how to get a look at system fonts.

Yet more wonkiness re recognizing multiple HDs, and running PySDM to try and fix it: would only run from terminal, not the GUI thingy (What is it called, and what can it do exactly, who knows?) Ran it, and the settings are lost on reboot, why would anyone want it that way? Sure that's how it used to be, several distros ago; were there a flood of complaints about being able to use a mouse in Ubuntu, please make us use terminal again?

Says my perfectly standard LG monitor is "unknown"; had it for almost 4 years.

Seems to install the right driver for my video card off the bat, unlike previous distro; getting about 1 out of 10 back there.

Ubuntu software center says that you can find, for example, synaptic, under the admin menu, which does not exist! Is it wrong, or gnome? No way to know really. After all, who would install 3 appearance schemes, all brown; apparently that's the way it's supposed to be, so how can I tell when this thing's being serious?

Someone please tell me there's something I can download that will do things graphically and allow some customization! If I wanted Unix, I'd have it. This is supposed to be for regular users, isn't it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilo View Post
    Also had my panels on auto-hide, cannot find how to do that under any of the shell options now: there goes some screen space for no reason.

Cannot see any GUI for how to get a look at system fonts.

Yet more wonkiness re recognizing multiple HDs, and running PySDM to try and fix it: would only run from terminal, not the GUI thingy (What is it called, and what can it do exactly, who knows?) Ran it, and the settings are lost on reboot, why would anyone want it that way? Sure that's how it used to be, several distros ago; were there a flood of complaints about being able to use a mouse in Ubuntu, please make us use terminal again?

Says my perfectly standard LG monitor is "unknown"; had it for almost 4 years.

Seems to install the right driver for my video card off the bat, unlike previous distro; getting about 1 out of 10 back there.

Ubuntu software center says that you can find, for example, synaptic, under the admin menu, which does not exist! Is it wrong, or gnome? No way to know really. After all, who would install 3 appearance schemes, all brown; apparently that's the way it's supposed to be, so how can I tell when this thing's being serious?

Someone please tell me there's something I can download that will do things graphically and allow some customization! If I wanted Unix, I'd have it. This is supposed to be for regular users, isn't it?
    I think I could deal with all of that since I was able to go back to the Gnome desktop. I worked for 3 hours last night trying to get my audio working properly to no avail. It sounds like a really messed up CD while playing. Very choppy audio, I posted a thread over in multimedia about it. So far there's been nothing as far as a fix goes from what I can tell.
    Mobo-XFX mg-610i-7059 GeForce 7050,Processor-Intel Pentium D945 3.4GHZ DT 800FSB,3GB crucial RAM, HD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/16MB SATA-3G 500GB,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Love View Post
    That doesn't work. This is disastrous! I can't find anything! I can't change anything! Are there no options? Where are the Preferences? This is unacceptable. My computer is all screwed up now!
    I am in the same boat. No wonder windows rule 98% of the worlds computer, while Ubuntu struggles with mediocre upgrades. Ubuntu 11.10 is junk. I cant go back to Ubuntu 11.04 either. if my school did not use ubuntu I would have never gone near it.

Beans

The hits just keep on coming! Now I find out that there's no way, at all, to move launcher, or change its behaviour. Left side, auto-hide only! WTF? I happen to like auto-hide myself but many don't, and putting it at the bottom seems much more sensible to me. The programming to let the user choose would be less than no work. Inexplicable!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Love View Post
    Way over my head. :0{
    When you switch on your PC, do you have "Previous Linux Versions" showing on the boot menu splash screen? If you do, scroll down onto it and hit enter, to try that.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Good news! I've found that if you press alt+right-click on the taskbar you can get it to move.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by musahossein View Post
    I am in the same boat. No wonder windows rule 98% of the worlds computer, while Ubuntu struggles with mediocre upgrades. Ubuntu 11.10 is junk. I cant go back to Ubuntu 11.04 either. if my school did not use ubuntu I would have never gone near it.

stop trolling.
    Just because you have no idea what you're doing with something, doesnt make it "junk".
    Grow up.
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This may help - I have used it on a couple of occasions and kept all my files, just needed to re-install some programmes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGnsYuWS0xY
    Martin
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ken_23434 View Post
    Download 11.04 and burn it to a CD.

Reboot your computer to that CD.

Select the option to "Try Ubuntu". This will boot your computer to Ubuntu 11.04 as a LiveCD (everything run from CD, nothing is installed to your hard drive).

Now, you can mount your hard drive and copy your various data files to another location (external hard drive, 2nd installed hard drive, another computer on your network, etc...).

Once your data that you want to keep is copied off, then you can select the option to install Ubuntu 11.04.

The "Data" you want to keep will vary from person to person. By default, I think the default for everything is in the "home" folder. Things such as your documents, music, photos etc... If you have done something custom, then you would need to locate them and copy them.

I hope this is enough info to get you going.
    I hate to have to revisit this, but it doesn't seem as if there is going to be a complete fix for all of my problems anytime soon. I initiated a bug report with launchpad on 10/18 and it hasn't even been assigned to anyone yet. What is gong to be the best option to save everything and revert back to a previous version? I mean I want to save EVERYTHING, bookmarks, music files, etc... How do I do that without losing everything? I have 2 users on my linux machine, so I'll need to save all files for both users.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast