I am still working on my report regarding the installation clean of Dapper Drake 6.06, but in the meantime, here are some notes on SeaMonkey.

SeaMonkey is a worldwideweb browser based on the old Mozilla Application Suite, and includes the browser, the html editor and various other tools, including Personal Security Manager that is installed in a full installation.

It can be downloaded in gz format from http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

++

Installation is relatively simple, and involves using the archive-manager to extract the files to disk, in my case I had created a folder called docs, and a sub folder called tools, and I extracted the files to /docs/tools/seamonkey-installer).

Run
Code:
sudo ./seamonkey-installer
and accept the default installation folder of /usr/local/seamonkey.

Now, the readme accompanying the program says that it must be first run as root. Except this doesn't work. If you do sudo su - and password and then run the shell script, it throws an error GTK+ cannot open display. Run

Code:
sudo ./seamonkey
within the installed folder will open the program.

Next, creating a launcher pathed to where the shell script is, and running it doesn't work either. However it will run using sudo.

This led me to suspect a permissions issue. I checked hidden files in my profile and found the ./mozilla folder was root only. I guess this kind of figures. I changed the permissions to let me as a user read/write/execute the folder, then ran the launcher again, and this time it works.

While I expect many users might prefer alternative products, I have found that it is relatively fast when compared to Mozilla, it displays fonts better than Mozilla and is not prone to crashing so often as Firefox.

So far I have bug-reported on the Moz-Bugzilla that SeaMonkey can't cope with aspx pages.

This is my first HOW TO so I welcome feedback.