Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Groupwise Support for Evolution in 11.10?

Beans

No Groupwise Support for Evolution in 11.10?

It seems as if there is no Groupwise support in Evolution 3.2.0 in Ubuntu 11.10... that is my existing Groupwise setup in Evolution no longer works and there is no way to choose a Groupwise account when setting up a new account. Other distributions appear to have a package called "evolution-groupwise" which is the "GroupWise connector for evolution"

Is there some type of workaround available?
    I don't really have a choice at work NOT to use Groupwise, and Evolution worked okay to manage email and calendar events.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: No Groupwise Support for Evolution in 11.10?

I am in the same situation as you are and I am not happy. Fortunately I have learned to test all the features I need in VM prior to upgrading my "production" installation and right now I stick with Natty until something is done to fix this.

I really hope there is some work around. I might investigate compiling evolution-groupwise by myself.

I will let you know if I find something.
    Registered Ubuntu user #8233

Beans

Okay so I found a workaround that seems to be working for the moment.

It appears that Arch Linux has the evolution-groupwise package that can be downloaded here:
    http://www.archlinux.org/packages/ex...ion-groupwise/

So this is what I did to make it work again:
    1) Create a new folder on the Desktop called "evolution-groupwise"
    2) Download the Arch Linux evolution-groupwise package: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/ex...wise/download/
    3) Open the "evolution-groupwise-3.2.0-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz" file and copy the "usr" folder into the "evolution-groupwise" folder I created
    4) Make a folder called "DEBIAN" inside the "evolution-groupwise" folder.
    5) Create a .deb control file. Just copy the following text and place it into the file "evolution-groupwise/DEBIAN/control"
    ### begin paste
    Package: evolution-groupwise
    Version: 3.2.0-1-000000000000000000
    Section: web
    Priority: optional
    Architecture: i386
    Depends: evolution-data-server, libgtkhtml-4.0-0
    Recommends: evolution
    Installed-Size: 884736
    Maintainer: NOBODY
    Description: GroupWise connector for evolution
    ### end paste
    6) Now go to the folder above where you created the evolution-groupwise folder and create a .deb package from these files... you will need "dkpg-deb" so if it doesn't work, try "sudo apt-get install dpkg-deb"
    7) To create the package type "dpkg-deb --build evolution-groupwise" to make a .deb package from the "evolution-groupwise" folder
    8) Now install the package "sudo dpkg -i evolution-groupwise.deb"

Note that this is on a 32-bit machine. To work on a 64 bit machine you would have to download the 64-bit package from Arch and change the Architecture to amd64 in the DEBIAN/control file.

Hopefully this is just a temporary hack and there will be an official version of this released soon.

Beans

On a 64-bit machine the installation works fine - no errors, but Evolution complains while starting:

evolution-plugin-lib-WARNING **: can't load plugin '/usr/lib/evolution/3.2/plugins/liborg-gnome-groupwise-features': /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/lib/evolution-data-server/camel-providers/libcamelgroupwise.so)

My (Ubuntu 11.10) libc.so.6 links to libc-2.13.so, but 2.14 is needed.
    I little bit Google told me that libc-2.14 seems to be buggy (Seg faults).

But anyway a simple exchange of such a central lib must lead to problems...

Is there any other workaround?
    Last edited by bruhein; October 18th, 2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bruhein View Post
    On a 64-bit machine the installation works fine - no errors, but Evolution complains while starting:

evolution-plugin-lib-WARNING **: can't load plugin '/usr/lib/evolution/3.2/plugins/liborg-gnome-groupwise-features': /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/lib/evolution-data-server/camel-providers/libcamelgroupwise.so)

My (Ubuntu 11.10) libc.so.6 links to libc-2.13.so, but 2.14 is needed.
    I little bit Google told me that libc-2.14 seems to be buggy (Seg faults).

But anyway a simple exchange of such a central lib must lead to problems...

Is there any other workaround?
    1. Why did you use a 32 bit version on your 64 bit system?
    2. Why not just use the package from the previous Ubuntu release?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

1) I am using the 64-bit version of the Arch package
    2) The previous package is made for Evolution 2.xx. Now we are dealing with Evolution 3.2.0 - I did not dare to cut out Evolution 3.2 from Ubuntu 11.10 and downgrade to Evolution 2.xx

Beans

This is now reported as a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/876563

Hopefully an official package will come soon.

I am not sure what other workarounds there could be...

One could try to compile directly from the source and use checkinstall to make a package, but I am just a hacker scientist so repackaging the Arch package was easier for me.

At least on 32-bit, this is still working for me. I can read, write, and send email with no obvious problems since yesterday. I am not able to access the calendar, but I can use the web client for that for now. Too bad this didn't work on 64-bit.

Beans

Touchdown!

I made a build from the Gnome sources of evolution-groupwise-3.2.0 and it works.

1) Download http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sourc...-3.2.0.tar.bz2 and unpack somewhere in your home directory an d open a terminal

2) Prepare (most) of the required build packages
    sudo apt-get build-dep evolution

3)Build

cd evolution-groupwise-3.2.0

./configure

If some packages are missing, install them by installing their '*-dev' versions

make

sudo make install

That's it!

After setting up the Groupwise account, there might arise the problem already known from Natty:
    "Host lookup failed: mail.xxx.de: Servname not supported for ai_socktype"

Just edit /etc/services and add the following entries (I am using the default port 1677 for Groupwise)

groupwise 1677/tcp
    groupwise 1677/udp

After a reboot I could connect to my mailbox.

Beans

Unfortunately the calendar is not working using the upper solution.

(evolution:12361): calendar-gui-DEBUG: get_view_cb: Failed to start view: Keine derartige Schnittstelle »org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.CalendarView« des Objekts im Pfad /org/gnome/evolution/dataserver/CalendarView/28439/4

Does anyone have an idea how to solve that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It took quite a while to figure out but I got the evolution-groupwise plugin compiled from source and appears to be working nicely. I get calendar and email.

I followed most of bruhein's steps for compiling from source. However, I noticed there was a bug that the SOAP port (for calendar I think) was always set to 0. So here is what I did:

1. Install git (sudo apt-get install git)
    2. git clone git://git.gnome.org/evolution-groupwise
    3. cd evolution-groupwise
    4. git checkout -b 3.2.0-patch EVOLUTION_GROUPWISE_3_2_0
    5. git cherry-pick 3aae80f55d5fd565274f19210564e74d5350a66c # This is the patch for the SOAP port bug
    6. Open configure.ac, at about line 48 add the line AC_CHECK_LIB(gthread-2.0, g_thread_init)
    7. sudo apt-get build-dep evolution
    8. ./autogen.sh
    9. make
    10. sudo make install
    11. Edit /etc/services like bruhein describes

That's it I think

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast