Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 stops booting at "Checking battery state ... [OK]"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 11.10 stops booting at "Checking battery state ... [OK]"

Quote Originally Posted by sseremeth View Post
    +1 This (reinstalling nvidia proprietary driver) fixed me. Would love to know what happened to kill it in the first place (related to disper). Thank you.
    It's the kernel update from 2.8 to 3.0.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

Here it was wrong again and these solutions don't successfully, so I installed the gdm session manager .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Installed Edubuntu 11.10 on an Acer Veriton SFF PC. Have resolved the graphics issue as above and got to desktop. But when I try to start Firefox, I cannot connect even though it's the same connection that worked with apt-get !

Is there some network connection wizard I can try ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Installed Edubuntu 11.10 on an Acer Veriton SFF PC. Have resolved the graphics issue as above and got to desktop. But when I try to start Firefox, I cannot connect even though it's the same connection that worked with apt-get !

Is there some network connection wizard I can try ?
    That issue is COMPLETELY unrelated. Please post it to a new thread!
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

I had the same problem and I used similar hints as kinka-dzs in #5 but I reinstalled nvidia-173-updates
    by typing:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-173-updates

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    Hi,
    Whenever I try to start my computer from kernel version 3 (it boots fine with 2.6) Kubuntu stops booting altogether at
    Code:
    Checking battery  state ... [OK]
    And I can still get to tty{x}.
    Thanks, any suggestions are welcome
    - search

EDIT:
    Here is the list of solutions people have found for this problem:
    (BTW you can get to a command prompt by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1, no need to call Geeksquad)

1. Posted by me: I had to reinstall my graphics drivers. I just downloaded them from Nvidia.
    2. Posted by kinka-dzs: This person just reinstalled the graphics drivers for his GPU using APT. GPU's vary from computer to computer, so you'll have to find out which driver version you need, but his was version 173:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-173
      and reboot.
    3. Posted by cidthecoatrack: they had to reinstall not only their graphics drivers but also nvidia-current, because they owned a 64-bit machine.
    4. Posted by gbringer: This person had a Radeon graphics chip. He had a seperate issue with downloading them to a USB stick but it's all cool now.
    Thank you! From your tip, I solved my problem... I installed the drivers for my SIS Mirage 3 vídeo card, and since that my notebook startup freezing at startup. I chances to TTY1, and there I uninstalled the driver. PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Beans

Experiencing the same issue. I recently upgraded to 11.10. Able to pull up terminal.

I have a Radeon HD 3650 graphics card, so I installed the fglrx driver with

Then I tried Installing Catalyst Manually (from AMD/ATI's site) as directed here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx,

Everything seems to go well. start with removing the drivers, successfully, and make it all the way down to generic config.

Restart and still stuck at Checking Battery [OK]. Go to terminal, and attempt fglrxinfo and again get:

Error: unable to open display(null)

I thought I was sure that the Radeon HD 3650 was supported by the fglrx driver, but maybe its not?
    This is ruining my life. PLEASE HELP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    You can get to a command line by pressing Ctrl, Alt, and F1 all at the same time. The reason this is happening is because the nvidia drivers only are configured to work with previous kernels and you have to reinstall them.
    Thanks for the tip!!

Beans

any ati users have and fix this problem?

Beans

Smile Re: 11.10 stops booting at "Checking battery state ... [OK]"

Hi same problem occurred While upgrading to 12.04 alpha 2...Wont go past login screen...checking battery status...then back to login screen..

All I did was 'sudo apt-get -f install'
    and then 'sudo reboot'

And I was back on Unity....whew..!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast