Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get the Newton Desktop Wiki running on Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb Get the Newton Desktop Wiki running on Dapper

Introduction

Quoting the project's homepage (http://newton.sourceforge.net) : Newton is a desktop wiki applet for the GNOME2 desktop environment. You enter your notes and information in a simple wiki-like syntax and Newton formats it in rich HTML for you! It is designed to make the creation of richly formatted documents of any type as simple and quick as possible.

The author provided a .deb package for ubuntu of the stable version of Newton some time ago, which used to work very well on Breezy. However, due to this bug (https://launchpad.net/bugs/26436) in the gtkmozembed widget, which Newton uses to display HTML content, Newton does not work anymore in Dapper -it simply exits with a segmentation fault upon start.

Well, it seems that the bug will not be fixed before Dapper release, so after reading the comments on the bug report in Malone, I found out that there is a workaround (not a fix) to get Newton running in Dapper. The purpose of this guide is to give some instructions on how to apply this simple workaround.

This will work for both the stable version of Newton, available as a .deb package as already mentioned, and also for the current development version. The workaround implies creating a custom launcher on the gnome panel that will launch a script which will ultimately invoke Newton.

Notice that I'm not making any claims that this will work for everybody. At least it seems to work on the two computers where I've tested it. Therefore, I would appreciate any feedback on whether it is working for other people or not. Thanks.

Stable Version

You can get the stable ubuntu package here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/n...l.deb?download

Since in the stable version Newton is initially launched as a gnome applet, it is maybe not so nice to invoke it from a custom launcher, as it will first create a tiny window containing the applet, which will have to be clicked once more to launch the Newton GUI.

Anyway, first create the script to invoke Newton (copy the following text to a file named newton.sh):

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox && newton test
    Once the file has been saved, make it executable by executing the following command at the terminal:
    Code:
    chmod 755 newton.sh
    That's it. Now you can jump to the 'Creating a Custom Launcher for Newton on the GNOME Panel' section.

Development Snapshot in SVN

Getting and installing the development snapshot

If you feel that the development version is better suited to your needs, here are the instructions necessary to get it working. The advantages of this version are the ability to create categorised pages, wiki syntax highlight and the possibility to launch Newton as a standalone application from the custom application launcher in the gnome panel. This, of course, at the potential risk of running a development version -which seems to be quite stable for me so far.

You'll be better off following the excellent Newton installation instructions (http://newton.sourceforge.net/install.html) from the project's site, but in case you've got subversion and the necessary development packages for compilation already installed, you can just quickly type this in order to compile and install Newton:

Code:
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr 
      sudo make install
    Creating the script

Create the script to invoke Newton (copy the following text to a file named newton.sh):

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox && newton
    Once the file has been saved, make it executable by executing the following command at the terminal:
    Code:
    chmod 755 newton.sh
    Creating a Custom Launcher for Newton on the GNOME Panel
    1. Right-click on the panel and select 'Add to Panel...'
    2. On the 'Add to Panel' dialogue, click on the 'Custom Application Launcher' button (or press ALT+L)
    3. Type "Newton" (without quotes) in the 'Name' text field
    4. Type the location of the newton.sh script we previously created in the 'Command' text field.
    5. Optionally, choose /usr/share/newton/pixmaps/newton.svg as the custom launcher's icon.
    6. Click 'Ok'. The custom application launcher is ready for use.
    That's it, now you should be able to click on the newly-created Newton application launcher on the gnome panel and start Newton as usual.

Here's a screenshot of Newton running on Dapper:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newton on Dapper.png 
Views:	388 
Size:	534.0 KB 
ID:	10372  
    Last edited by dpm; August 29th, 2006 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added note on how to make the script executable

Beans

Smile Re: Get the Newton Desktop Wiki running on Dapper

This worked for me with the 0.9.2 deb package available from the Newton site.
    I might try the svn version soon.

Thank you

Beans

Re: Get the Newton Desktop Wiki running on Dapper

Nice job desp, thanks for that. Now if we can only figure out how to get the applet to work too. It seems setting env variables in a parent process is a no go, so it doesn't look like it'll work through some added Python code.

Thanks again
    ~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans

script doesnt run here.

getting the following when compiling: (just a snippet, rest looks fine)

Code:
    Checking for required M4 macros...
    Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
    Processing ./configure.ac
    Running glib-gettextize... Ignore non-fatal messages.
    Copying file mkinstalldirs
    Copying file po/Makefile.in.in

Please add the files
      codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
      progtest.m4
    from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
    or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
    You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

Running intltoolize...
    Running aclocal-1.7...
    Running autoconf...
    ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spanella47
    script doesnt run here.

getting the following when compiling: (just a snippet, rest looks fine)

[...]
    ideas?
    Try apt-getting the "gettext" package. I think that might help. This is the SVN version I assume?

Cheers,
    ~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans

yeah this is the svn.

and i've apparently already got the newest gettext. also got gnulib thinking that might help because it has more macros, but no dice.

either way, sounds like a useful program, hopefully the devs can get it working regularly soon.

Beans

yeah this is the svn.

and i've apparently already got the newest gettext. also got gnulib thinking that might help because it has more macros, but no dice.

either way, sounds like a useful program, hopefully the devs can get it working regularly soon.
    I am the dev (singular) . To be honest, I don't really see an error in your original quoted text. I just assumed you took the "Please add these files.." bit as an error or something and I saw that iconv.m4 comes with gettext, so I suggested installing it .

How do you know there is an error? As I said, your original quote doesn't indicate a failure unless I'm missing something.

Cheers,
    ~djc

Beans

ok, didnt know if by missing those files it wasnt compiling correctly. still doesnt work, but could be something else. Is there a way to run in the terminal so I can see the output and be more specific?

Beans

Is there a way to run in the terminal so I can see the output and be more specific?
    Sure. If the suggested solution works on your system then you can run Newton by typing the following at a terminal:
    Code:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox newton
    Cheers,
    ~djc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mcarlson
    This worked for me with the 0.9.2 deb package available from the Newton site.
    I might try the svn version soon.

Thank you
    Glad to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by dcraven
    Nice job desp, thanks for that. Now if we can only figure out how to get the applet to work too. It seems setting env variables in a parent process is a no go, so it doesn't look like it'll work through some added Python code.

Thanks again
    ~djc
    Thanks. Just a minor contribution to your great app.

I've been thinking about that, but I just can't figure out how to do it. Call me a dreamer, but I'm still hoping that the ubuntu dev's will figure a way how to solve the gtkmozembed bug. And if we're lucky, some security bug will be found in the python-gnome2-extras package, which will ultimately lead to the package being security-updated and made available to us.

Now that was some wishful thinking...

Anyway, I'm glad to hear this howto made someone's Newton resuscitate on Dapper.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast