Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom STA driver ubuntu 11.10. How to get it working!

Beans

Broadcom STA driver ubuntu 11.10. How to get it working!

Hi, after installing broadcom sta driver in ubuntu 11.10 and Driver Center reported them Activated and in use, the system continued using the default kernel driver. To resolve this you have to blacklist the module brcmsmac in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf. Hope Ubuntu team will fix it fast so no user-hand needed to properly activate the driver.

Beans

Re: Broadcom STA driver ubuntu 11.10. How to get it working!

I've had this.

Disconnect from the net when you install Ubuntu 11.10
    Don't install any extras or proprietary drivers when you install Ubuntu

If you've activated the Broadcom STA additional driver then remove it (System Settings => Additional Drivers = STA => remove)

Click on the Connection icon.
    If it says it's turned off via hardware then you're on a Dell laptop or something similar so use the Fn-F2 (or whatever yours is) key and have another look

If it says the firmware isn't loaded then proceed

Connect to the net via ethernet

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

Click the Connection icon again and you should see Wireless Networks as per normal

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kronalias View Post
    If you've activated the Broadcom STA additional driver then remove it (System Settings => Additional Drivers = STA => remove)
    There are other drivers available (STA)?

My Broadcom isn't working (I started a thread here :http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859446 ). The Additional Drivers doesn't find anything and "firmware-b43-installer" gave me an error.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I've been installing the prerelease versions of 11.10 for the last few weeks, and I've had problems with the STA driver.

I've had occasional success by removing it, but the only guaranteed way for me to get it to work is with a fresh Ubuntu install and not even attempting to use the STA driver via the Additional Hardware Drivers route. The three sudo commands I posted earlier work for me.

Beans

Doesn't work for the rest of us, though. It's rather annoying having my laptop attached to the wall because the wireless card doesn't work. Telling us it worked for you doesn't help rectify this, and only makes things worse for us after saying that those exact steps didn't work for us.

Beans

I wasn't trying to rub it in, I was just trying to clarify the exact steps I took.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by imnvs View Post
    Doesn't work for the rest of us, though. It's rather annoying having my laptop attached to the wall because the wireless card doesn't work. Telling us it worked for you doesn't help rectify this, and only makes things worse for us after saying that those exact steps didn't work for us.
    That's why one of the first things I did was post the question on the forums and hope somebody comes across it with some advice!

So far the experience has been good, except for this! Argh!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
    Hi, after installing broadcom sta driver in ubuntu 11.10 and Driver Center reported them Activated and in use, the system continued using the default kernel driver. To resolve this you have to blacklist the module brcmsmac in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf. Hope Ubuntu team will fix it fast so no user-hand needed to properly activate the driver.
    I've blacklisted "brcmsmac" but after that it's not loading the STA module - the result is no wireless at all. Any ideas/suggestions?

Beans

On my Dell Dv6 6190 with b**13 card the wireless doesn't appear at all after the today's update, only the wired section.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This might be of use to some reading this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859749
    I had trouble with my BCM4313, but now it works like a charm. Just adding this, because I know how irritating it is to read hundreds of threads to find the solution to what I'm strugglig with.
    || My blog ||

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast