Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 upgrade and deleted Evolution email

Beans

Re: 11.10 upgrade and deleted Evolution email

I wish I hadn't bothered with the upgrade. I figured it would be harmless. After the upgrade, Evolution deleted all my email.

I also don't like the reduced options for appearance. Before I had many more options for changing the appearance. There were a lot of skins available.
    Exactly this, only this is why I won't be upgrading, not why I wish I didn't.. Im curious to know WHY the email program was switched to thunderbird anyway?

This combined with the fact that I like my gnome 2 desktop and I can't run unity 3d on my computer really close the book for me. Plus from what i've read so far, most of the changes made using the OS harder and less efficient. I haven't read about any real positive changes.

Beans

I was able to locate my email in .local/evolution/ but how do I make it appear in .evolution/ ? I tried unzipping it to there but Evolution won't pick it up.

Beans

Thank you bultmann

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Don't blame the programs or process if you do an OS upgrade without a backup and lose data...

Beans

I stopped using Thunderbird years ago because it kept hiding my email every time it upgraded. Now I've stupidly upgraded Ubuntu and am having to go through the same process AGAIN because someone's decided Thunderbird would be better for me than Evolution?

Thanks for the post showing me how to find my inbox again.
    Not being a hardened linux buff, just a simple PC user, this is gonna be a bit of a nightmare for me. Won't trust Ubuntu so blindly in the future.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sistershaft View Post
    I stopped using Thunderbird years ago because it kept hiding my email every time it upgraded. Now I've stupidly upgraded Ubuntu and am having to go through the same process AGAIN because someone's decided Thunderbird would be better for me than Evolution?

Thanks for the post showing me how to find my inbox again.
    Not being a hardened linux buff, just a simple PC user, this is gonna be a bit of a nightmare for me. Won't trust Ubuntu so blindly in the future.
    Sorry its gonna be a nightmare for you, hope it works itself out.

for future reference, there is no requirement to upgrade.

Also on the Ubuntu download page it tells you that you can try it before hand (so you would see the default apps)

also on Ubuntu.com you can see that Thunderbird is the default client.

It also has been mentioned and discussed many times.

I dont even use 11.10 (i have it in a virtual machine but not really played with it yet that much) but i know what the features and changes are because it is documented in many places and there is virtual tour on the ubuntu website for those wanting to see some changes
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks bultmann. Helped me solve an old issue of mine that I was ignoring until now.

Two years ago I had been using evolution to connect to my work exchange server. I quit, but I still had my email and just had it in the evolution folders for future reference if needed. I used thunderbird as my default.

I upgrade last night. (full backups, etc...) Just didn't catch on with what EDS was doing with thunderbird...

And when I open up thunderbird, I find out that it's trying to access my old work exchange server. And failing of course. I wound up moving the old email over to thunderbird using bultmann's method, and cleaning out the evolution directories. And disabling EDS for good measure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Will it be the same for the Evolution calender ? I hope not........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just completed an online upgrade to 11.10, and I swear I read a warning message to ensure ALL my important data was backed up, or saved elsewhere.

Mind you, I do back-up all my important data on a weekly basis, but to not do so, even when it is recommended before a major upgrade, is NOT the fault of Ubuntu.

Is this just another instance of looking for an excuse to cover one's own stupidity?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bultmann View Post
    So I did some digging around and a lot of searching on the internet. I finally found that the Evolution emails get stored in ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local. I found that all the emails are still there ...
    Ah! That's where those emails are hiding! Thanks

I have to say, it's a pretty poor effort to move Ubuntu from Evolution to Thunderbird and not provide a migration strategy for email accounts and old email. Email is essential functionality that most people will be using.

This sort of problem could really get the average user off-side and angry. It's not enough to say "backup your files". The upgrade should take existing data and configuration and apply it in the new setup. To have this additional step of reimporting everything is not the point of doing an upgrade in the first place.

Notwithstanding that the average user probably won't have backed up all their email. Unless they come and read this thread, they may think their email is lost forever.

I do prefer Thunderbird over Evolution, but the lack of a migration strategy is where the issue lies.

have fun()
    mike
    Last edited by mpp; October 16th, 2011 at 03:18 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast