Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

Beans

Re: 11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

I have a few questions.

1. What is the difference between the instructions from these two websites?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...i_from_scratch
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...TI.27s_site.29

2. Will either of these solutions update the drivers automatically once a new catalyst version comes out? Is that what this "optional" command is for in the first wiki.ubuntu.com link? This command:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-modaliases
    If that command does do that then I still have to perform all the other commands above it correct?

3. Both of these install ati catalyst, right? (I know the second one does but I'm not sure about the first) The whole reason I need the ati drivers is because the opensource ones have bad power management and make my 5870's fan run crazy.

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions. Its just that I'm using Windows 7 right now because I wasn't able to fix this problem a few months ago on Fedora 15 (I love the gnome-shell look!) and I would like to go back to Linux but I want to be sure that everything works.
    Last edited by tmt345; October 16th, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
    Asus G73JH - Ati Radeon 5870M, Intel i7, 6GB Memory.

Beans

tmt345: I would want someone more knowledgeable about opensource ati drivers to chime in on this. As far as I can see, both the instructions do the same thing; however, it looks to me like the second link is newer information and may be safer because of the prerequisite package installation you do right off the bat. But I would want someone more knowledgeable to posit their experience for a more learned answer.

The second does install ati catalyst, but the first method, the one I followed, doesn't. It's not that useful to me, since I have a radeon 4270 chipset which really can't be improved very much ati catalyst controls. Might be a better idea to go with the second method if you don't want opensource drivers and programs.

Finally, I don't know if either method will update automatically, since that is actually a function of the catalyst control center, not the drivers installed by these fixes. If the second method installs a packaged version of ati catalyst that connects to their servers, it may very well update automatically. (Again, though, I don't know for sure)

These aren't stupid questions, I'm sure other people will find this information very useful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian_balisy View Post
    tmt345: I would want someone more knowledgeable about opensource ati drivers to chime in on this. As far as I can see, both the instructions do the same thing; however, it looks to me like the second link is newer information and may be safer because of the prerequisite package installation you do right off the bat. But I would want someone more knowledgeable to posit their experience for a more learned answer.

The second does install ati catalyst, but the first method, the one I followed, doesn't. It's not that useful to me, since I have a radeon 4270 chipset which really can't be improved very much ati catalyst controls. Might be a better idea to go with the second method if you don't want opensource drivers and programs.

Finally, I don't know if either method will update automatically, since that is actually a function of the catalyst control center, not the drivers installed by these fixes. If the second method installs a packaged version of ati catalyst that connects to their servers, it may very well update automatically. (Again, though, I don't know for sure)

These aren't stupid questions, I'm sure other people will find this information very useful.
    Thank you and thanks for anyone else who also may have something to add to this. Also, for my final question, I really meant if both of them install the ati proprietary drivers? However, it would be useful to know if both install the catalyst as well.
    Asus G73JH - Ati Radeon 5870M, Intel i7, 6GB Memory.

Beans

I had the Same issue when I upgraded my system earlier. I was reading up on the issue and followed directions to update and purge the drivers and now ubuntu will not load to the log In screen.. Instead It turns black with blue stripes after the screen says ubuntu .. Please help! I am a student and I really need to get my laptop working ASAP!

Beans

Google search revealed a lot of issues to do with this > LINK
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; October 16th, 2011 at 02:12 AM.

Beans

Hi - same issue with the fglrx driver after a clean install (wasn't upgrading, was doing clean install). I just blew out the machine again - hadn't gotten any further than installing proprietary driver and gnome shell - so was just easier and cleaner to just wipe the machine and start from scratch,

What's that old say? If at first you don't succeed... :-\ So who tested that driver anyway...???

Gnome shell works fine with free vanilla driver...
    "Linux - isn't that the kid with the blanket fetish from the Peanuts comic strip?"

Beans

Exclamation Re: 11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

Quote Originally Posted by ian_balisy View Post

1. sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh # (if it exists) edit: mine did not
    2. sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx
    3. sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg- video-radeon
    4. sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
    5. sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    6. sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    I tried that but now all I get is a black screen upon reboot. The Ubuntu splash screen appears for a second and then vanishes. Dead in the water.

People should be aware that this is a possibility when using the above fix.

Beans

I tried that but now all I get is a black screen upon reboot. The Ubuntu splash screen appears for a second and then vanishes. Dead in the water.

Thank you! Note to anyone who is looking for a fix for the gnome shell glitch. What type of graphics card or chipset do you have Izazael?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Izazael View Post

Yes, I just tried as well and got the same result.
    How can I revert it to being usable again?

Beans

I find this useful: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/838577

Nothing went wrong when I and others used the above fix, but it seems this may not solve every individual instance of this glitch. For more information on graphics driver installations causing black screens, I would search google; I found some information about this very problem right off the bat.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast