Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

Beans

Re: 11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

Antoine Brunet: Thank you so much! I was thinking of ditching ubuntu for fedora as well, but your fix link worked perfectly! Absolutely fantastic post!

To clarify for others who view this thread with the same problem, this is the code to input into the terminal to completely remove fglrx and reinstall ati drivers:

1. sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh # (if it exists) edit: mine did not
    2. sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx
    3. sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg- video-radeon
    4. sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
    5. sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    6. sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

After that, just restart your system and choose GNOME at login. Everything works perfectly and looks fantastic!

With this fix and the one linuxman94 posted, I'm going to consider this problem solved!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine Brunet View Post
    Hi there,
    I had the same problem and struggled a bit.

I have seen on many forums that fglrx drivers were not working yet with Gnome-Shell, and that free ati drivers were available and working.

I followed the recipe on the wiki *there*(Check for fully remove fglrx and install ati), and I have no more glitches since.

Bye,
    Antoine
    Many thanks to you. I followed the wiki and my problem has been fixed.

Beans

Awesome. Thanks for the solution. I screwed up and got it recovered via your solution. Thanks alot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think I've narrowed it down that a reinstall of the drivers isn't necessary. It looks like the reinstall is simply calling update-alternatives and fixing a bad link.

Output when broken:
    x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf manual /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf

Output when working:
    x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf auto /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf

It looks like all you should have to do is:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
    sudo update-alternatives --auto x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf
    Then reboot. On 32-bit, you might have to use i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf, I don't know. I used debfoster to really get rid of all of fglrx's deps beyond the remove/purge so YMMV.
    Flotsam - i7-860, 4G RAM, 1.5TB RAID 1 Media Server
    Jetsam - Acer Aspire Revo Atom 230, 1.5G RAM, ION - Media Center
    Knotgrass - Dell M101Z AMD K325, 4G RAM, Workstation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxman94 View Post
    The 11.9 drivers have support for gnome 3. It's a little buggy at the moment but it works well. Instructions for installation here. Make sure to purge the old drivers first.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
    Thank you for this solution.

The solution on ubuntu wiki can fix this problem but it make my laptop too hot .
    When I try this solution, it worked and CPU temporary is in normal level.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caonguyen View Post
    Thank you for this solution.

The solution on ubuntu wiki can fix this problem but it make my laptop too hot .
    When I try this solution, it worked and CPU temporary is in normal level.
    Update ...
    Normally, there is no problem with this solution. Gnome shell works well.
    But when I open some applications (ibus daemon, xchat ...) that put its icon in the bottom bar (at the right side) problem still occur.
    This solution does not solve problem totally, the ubuntu wiki does but it makes computer too hot.

Maybe I must find another solution

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian_balisy View Post
    Antoine Brunet: Thank you so much! I was thinking of ditching ubuntu for fedora as well, but your fix link worked perfectly! Absolutely fantastic post!

To clarify for others who view this thread with the same problem, this is the code to input into the terminal to completely remove fglrx and reinstall ati drivers:

1. sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh # (if it exists) edit: mine did not
    2. sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx
    3. sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg- video-radeon
    4. sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
    5. sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    6. sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

After that, just restart your system and choose GNOME at login. Everything works perfectly and looks fantastic!

With this fix and the one linuxman94 posted, I'm going to consider this problem solved!
    This just made it worse for me.... but ok...
    64-Bit Ubuntu 12.04 (NEVER buy an HP laptop)

Beans

Thank you!
    I had the same problem but it's good now

Beans

Simeo: From simply understanding how the terminal system works, I think the problem is not the fix, but rather your individual system differing in some key way from the rest of ours. Seeing as how this fix worked for several people already, I doubt there is a problem with this fix or the one posted by linuxman94.

Beans

gtaluvit: This fix did not work for me since my drivers had to be removed entirely, purged, and then reinstalled so as to completely get rid of fglrx drivers and keep only ati proprietary drivers. However, I don't doubt that on some systems, your fix would work very effectively. People should try this before the more intense fix, actually, since yours is a little safer.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast