Thread: 11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

Hybrid View

Beans

11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

Hi all! I'm new to both Ubuntu and to the forums, so forgive my stupidity if I ask stupid questions.

Now, I was running 11.04 Natty Narwhal on a partitioned HDD with dual boot for Ubuntu and Win7. Everything seemed to work properly with Natty and I could not really find any problems. However, I just upgraded to Oneiric Ocelot yesterday when it came out and I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out this problem I'm having.

Basically, after installing gnome shell through the terminal, I went to use the gnome shell and found that the top bar was glitching, showing all different colored bars as the one bar, and fonts were not working properly.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a simple fix or are files corrupted on my build?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

Yes, exactly the same problem. I attribute it to the restricted drivers I'm using (fglrx, ATI drivers, in other words). Everything required appears to be installed.

Beans

Same here. All drivers seem to be installed properly and even ati catalyst works properly. Any solutions?

Beans
    Hidden!

See here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...81&postcount=3

Flgrx drivers will not work with Gnome Shell at the moment.
    They cause graphical glitches.

Have yet to hear of anyone with AMD proprietary drivers to actually get Gnome Shell working properly yet.

This is a pretty big deal, LOTS of people have AMD. I wonder why AMD has not given this the attention it deserves.
    (The Fedora guys had to deal with this several months ago before we did. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=263572)
    Last edited by 8_Bit; October 14th, 2011 at 09:58 AM.

Beans

Unhappy Re: 11.10 Gnome Shell doesn't work properly

Quote Originally Posted by 8_Bit View Post
    See here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...81&postcount=3

Flgrx drivers will not work with Gnome Shell at the moment.
    They cause graphical glitches.
    Exactly, I have same problem with you.
    I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 + Gnome shell (3.2) + ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470.
    Is there any way to fix it?

Beans

8_Bit: Yep, that's exactly what my screen looks like.

caonguyen: I haven't found anything at all yet. No support whatsoever even though fedora did have to deal with this a few months ago and the problem was apparent then too. As 8_Bit said, it's a problem with the graphics drivers.

This is really disappointing. I'm actually back on the Windows side of my systen just because I'm so disappointed with not being able to run Gnome Shell and Unity looks just awful compared to what I've seen people do with gnome shell online.

Is there any larger scale fix for this? i.e. has any other Ubuntu distro overcome this problem? Was this problem apparent on 11.04 and could I roll back to that if so? As far as I'm concerned, Oneiric Ocelot didn't seem to fix very much.