Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Oneiric known Bugs WITH Work Arounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oneiric known Bugs WITH Work Arounds

Please post the bugs you have run into and how you worked around them here.
    Do not post your problems, please raise a support thread thanks.

Keep in mind, that Linux is infinitely customizable, you don't have to stick with Unity as a desktop environment. Gnome-shell and gnome-session-fallback. the GTK-3 version of the 2 panel interface are in the repositories.

Synaptic package manager is no longer installed by default, but if you have the universe repositories enabled, it is easily installed.

To get the most out of Unity, install compizconfig-settings-manager.

Update It was suggested that I also mention that Thunderbird is now installed as a mail client, instead of evolution, as in previous versions.
    Last edited by philinux; October 15th, 2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Updated title

Beans

Re: Oneiric known bugs and work arounds

I have run into a number of bugs / grievances, though I have found no workarounds for most of them yet.

• http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1847941 - I get the same battery icon
    • "Startup programs" no longer contains a full list of programs run on startup (like bluetooth, login sound, remote desktop, Ubuntu One), thus depriving me of the ability to customize what gets loaded
    • According to preview articles, the Alt-Tab switcher should show previews of windows. On my system, it doesn't.
    • Audacious' Status Icon plugin no longer works. Fixed this issue by whitelisting 'audacious' in the dconf-editor.
    • Dash sometimes does not show up when moving mouse to the left screen edge while a window is maximized. I hear that this is a known issue and will be fixed very soon.

Overall, I find it sad that liberties that Ubuntu used to provide are being removed from one release to the next: the most recent example being the ability to fully control which programs load on startup. Also, I get the feeling that many of the system settings have been stripped down majorly, e.g. it is no longer possible by default to configure a theme, and there are no screensavers. I presume that some of this is WIP, but I have trouble understanding the reasoning behind these kinds of decisions, especially since one of the major advantages of Ubuntu over competing operating systems, IMHO, was that it gave maximum control to the user.

That said, I have only worked with 11.10 for a couple hours so far, but I think it has great potential. Once the community has all the right tweak tools to unlock its full powers, it will be a very good OS.

EDIT: in 11.04, I found it great that I could move my mouse cursor to the top left of the screen to bring up the dash without delay. Now that it has been removed from there, I can only bring it up by moving the mouse to the left edge and waiting for a second. I can see this driving me crazy down the road.
    Last edited by The Bright Side; October 14th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

my wobbly windows sometimes "STICK" that rly gets on my nerves.

also how the hell can i add menu items? before i'd type menu into the dash and press enter and then add it with the menu editor but now i can't. i suspect some of this (like no screensavers) is gnome 3s doing but idk.... at any rate i have a lump sum of programs that need to be added to my dash and they can't be....... seriosuly it feels faster and more fluid but if i can't add programs manually (because believe it or not the software center doesnt have everything) then im going back to 11.04 (the good unity with the nice top button)

also i like my launcher set to size 32 and to open to top left and now i have to go to top left and move down for the dash to open....................... i liked it when it just came open when i threw my mouse to the corner............
    Last edited by cheesekiller; October 14th, 2011 at 06:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

For the Alt+Tab you press the down key and it previews it.
    Where are my eyes? ... Oh there they are.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Bright Side View Post
    Overall, I find it sad that liberties that Ubuntu used to provide are being removed from one release to the next: the most recent example being the ability to fully control which programs load on startup.
    In terminal use the commands..

Code:
    cd /etc/xdg/autostart/
    Code:
    sudo sed --in-place 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' *.desktop
    Startup applications should now show up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I encountered a bug involving the xorg.conf file, the fglrx driver for AMD/ATI graphics cards, and Catalyst Control Center. This is the problem I found (quoted from my thread in the General Help section):

Quote Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post
    I just did a fresh install of 11.10 and I'm having some trouble getting the ATI graphics drivers working properly. I downloaded the drivers from AMD's website but after installing them, Ubuntu would boot to a blank black screen. I ended up uninstalling those via the command prompt. Then I tried the proprietary drivers that said post release updates and those have a bug that does not allow them to install properly. After I cleaned up that mess I installed the regular FGLRX proprietary drivers and rebooted and now it seems to be sort of working.

My problem now is this: I have two monitors. When I try to set them up as a side by side configuration with Catalyst (the default is a cloned display on both monitors) it crashes. I am currently only able to use my main display and was forced to disable my second monitor. They are different sizes and therefor different resolutions. I want to use the second display as an extended desktop just like I did in 11.04. But I can't do anything because Catalyst crashes every time I try to enable the second display as an extended desktop and not a cloned display.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I really would like to be able to use both of my monitors.
    I was eventually able to find a work around/solution to this:

Here's how I did it:

I opened the terminal and started messing around with aticonfig. I ended up using this code which creates as many monitors as you want in the xorg.conf file. Heads is the number of displays:

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial --heads=2 --adapter=1
    After that I rebooted and then tried to set it up with Catalyst. Catalyst recognized my second monitor and allowed me to set it as an extended desktop with the correct resolution. After I applied that, Catalyst told me that I needed to restart my PC in order for the changes to take effect. After the restart my second display was still not working. I went to Catalyst to see what was up and my monitor was there but all options for it were grayed out. I couldn't even set it as a cloned display. So I closed Catalyst and went to the Ubuntu display settings and turned on the second monitor through that and I was pleasantly surprised when it actually worked! I opened Catalyst back up and sure enough, there was my second monitor shown side by side with my primary monitor as an extended desktop.

So it turns out it was a bug in the xorg.conf file.
    When in doubt try this >>>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This thread is not for criticism about the release. Such posts will be removed.
    Last edited by CharlesA; October 14th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Search for files and folders is not working, nothing happens when I click to start the search (when search is open by unity or gnome-shell menu).
    Search works only in nautilus.
    Is there some workaround?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In a fresh install of OO, and using Gnome Shell, incoming messages in Thunderbird were not triggering either a popup notification or putting the icon in the bottom right hand dynamic "tray" thing.

Solution: I had to manually install the package notification-daemon.

This was not a problem throughout the entire dev cycle, and only appeared when I did a clean install of the final release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Patak View Post
    ...so why remove my post then? and which thread is for criticism?
    There are plenty of threads for criticism already, but most of them turn into flamefests and are closed. Also I PMed you regarding your post.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast