Thread: Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 11" Installation issues

Beans

Unhappy Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 11" Installation issues

Hello there,

I've been trying for two days now to install Ubuntu onto my Macbook Air; I have the second generation model. As there is no disc drive, I have been attempting a USB install. Obviously, I have seen this page and followed the instructions to a T:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...%20USB%20Stick

These instructions don't seem to work. Before the final step in which I am supposed to eject the drive via terminal a notification window pops up and says: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". When I restart the computer and hold down the "alt/option" key I only have the option to boot from the OS X drive. When I click on the original ISO as well as the converted dmg version of the disc image file it says: "No mountable file systems".

So far I have attempted both 32 and 64 bit editions of 11.04 and 11.10 as well as the +mac versions of each and I get the same results.

I am so frustrated and just want to get into using Ubuntu! Much appreciation to anybody who can help me out.

Thanks
    -Ian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 11" Installation issues

I assume you're trying the manual option. Have you tried using UNetbootin?
    Registered Ubuntu user #29856!
    Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64
    Intel i7 Ivy Bridge
    NVIDIA GT630M

Beans

I also have been unable to install 11.10 Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot on my MacBook Pro. I want to install on a virtual machine (Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac) but OSX won't recognize the iso image. I get a message "no mountable file systems" whenever I attempt to mount the iso file. I have tried the regular 16 and 32 bit versions and the ubuntu-11.10-alternate-amd64+mac.iso and all have the same problem. I can still mount an old copy of 10.4 so the problem seems to be specific to Oneiric Ocelot. Any ideas? Has anyone else gotten 11.10 to work on a Mac?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi

Did anybody test this http://www.davidxia.com/2011/10/how-...cbook-air-42/?

It's not exactly the same model (mine is late 2010) and I haven't installed yet.

I could install 11.04 with no problems, but I've lost the partition because of Lion update