Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does "Updating" take so long!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Why does "Updating" take so long!

Hey guys, after years of ubuntu I've not once used the update tool to update to a new version of the buntu. The reason? It takes so frackin long! Looks like I'm goin'a go download the CD right now and do it that way, debating about keeping or killing my /home.

Anyway, does anyone use the update tool with more success than " You will be done in 3 Days"
    Someone call a doctor to crack open my rib cage and repair my broken heart...

Beans

Re: Why does "Updating" take so long!

Quote Originally Posted by -gabe-noob- View Post
    Hey guys, after years of ubuntu I've not once used the update tool to update to a new version of the buntu. The reason? It takes so frackin long! Looks like I'm goin'a go download the CD right now and do it that way, debating about keeping or killing my /home.

Anyway, does anyone use the update tool with more success than " You will be done in 3 Days"
    are you saying it takes three days to do an upgrade on your machine?

What do you have a 286?
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    are you saying it takes three days to do an upgrade on your machine?

What do you have a 286?
    Once in a while, you get problems with mirrors and upgrading/installing.

The reason I never used Natty on my laptop is because every time I would try to install it the installer would tell me it would take about a day to finish downloading language packs.
    And my laptop has pretty decent specs, too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    Once in a while, you get problems with mirrors and upgrading/installing.

The reason I never used Natty on my laptop is because every time I would try to install it the installer would tell me it would take about a day to finish downloading language packs.
    And my laptop has pretty decent specs, too.

I confess I don't move to the next release immediately it's released, I wait a week or more for the crowds to go away and the local mirrors seeded. I have never had an upgrade take more than a couple of hours at worst.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I confess I don't move to the next release immediately it's released, I wait a week or more for the crowds to go away and the local mirrors seeded. I have never had an upgrade take more than a couple of hours at worst.
    I see. When I tried to install Natty, the servers were probably way overloaded. Oneiric's install was perfectly fine though. I think it's because I disconnected from my wifi, because it kept telling me the hostname was in use no matter what I put.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know what it is I've got a high speed cable connection and a decent enough computer. Maybe its just the boatload of people upgrading at the same time as me?

The world may never know...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    because it kept telling me the hostname was in use no matter what I put.
    Appears to be a bug in 11.10.

My 10.04 install uses "desktop" as hostname, while the 11.10 install I tried was using "oneiric" hostname and it kept telling me it was in use. But when I tabbed down to the password fields, it check marked after it was telling me otherwise with the red X in a circle.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubupirate View Post
    Appears to be a bug in 11.10.

My 10.04 install uses "desktop" as hostname, while the 11.10 install I tried was using "oneiric" hostname and it kept telling me it was in use. But when I tabbed down to the password fields, it check marked after it was telling me otherwise with the red X in a circle.
    Weird. I just disconnected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by -gabe-noob- View Post
    Maybe its just the boatload of people upgrading at the same time as me?
    WE HAVE A WINNER! This is only the busiest day of the year for ubuntu's servers. It's like this every year on release day.

Beans
    Distro

Just a quick question, I haven't used it but I noticed there's a thing on the live CD's now to preserve parts of my /home anyway to tell it to just keep all my office docs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast