Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Thread: Howto: set up a mail server in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: set up a mail server in Ubuntu

I found out error in my configuration:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12741127

It did not work because I had password to database with symbol "#".
    Do not use special symbols in database password.

Beans

I'd like to try this tutorial on a hosted server. WHile there is mention of EC2 services, there is no "recommended minimum spec" that I can find anywhere.

Can someone give me their opinion as to what physical hardware (min or recommended) this should have?

Can the tutorial be updated with this info?

Thanks

Beans

Question/problem about alias tables in Postfix

I've closely followed the great instructions at flurdy.com for how to set up a mail serve.r It's been a real struggle, though most of the time the problems were because i made wrong assumptions and thus made mistakes, not because the instructions were wrong.

But I do finally have things working. My question is about how the alias tables work, and specifically, how i can get a simple user name to log in with on Roundcube, for example. Let me explain.

I have only a single domain for this mail server. I don't need to alias a bunch of domains, i just want to host @example.com. I set up my users and aliases like flurdy.com suggests, so for example i have a "users" table with one entry "jen@localhost" for myself. Then the aliases table has mail "jen@localhost" with destination "jen@localhost". (I wish this weren't necessary, but flurdy instructions show this too.) This all works just fine. The problem is that with Roundcube, for my user I have to enter "jen@localhost". I want to just enter "jen". And to be honest, I havent moved beyond this to check if it will be a problem with @example.com instead of localhost.

So I guess the simple question is, what's the right way to add users/aliases so that i can as easily as possible add new users for the username @ example.com domain, and how can they log in using just "username" instead of something longer? (I'm happy to show tables etc., but they're just as in the example docs.)

Thank you.

Beans

hmm, have an old dell laptop laying around. Will have to play with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

I have setup my mail server to use maildrop the way it was described by Villu in comment #223 in this thread,
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...96#post7278296
    I did this on a server running Ubuntu 12.04. Now I updated the server to Ubuntu 14.04 and since then I cannot get reception of email working.
    Emails are bounced with the following message:
    Code:
     user unknown. Command output: ERR:
        authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Permission denied Invalid user specified.
    If I run:
    Code:
      $ echo "test" | maildrop -V 9 -d test@myserver.netERR: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Permission denied
    Invalid user specified.
    And:
    Code:
      $ sudo authtest test@myserver.net
    Authentication succeeded.
    My mail.log:
    Code:
       Apr 29 23:04:40 server4 postfix/pipe[15130]: D0B4DCC0E28: to=<test@myserver.net>, relay=maildrop, delay=0.08, delays=0.04/0/0/0.04, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown. Command output: ERR: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Permission denied Invalid user specified. )
    Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

/M

Beans

I am having troubles receiving emails. I can send though. I am Using Postfix for SMTP which works since I can send. I am using Courier for IMAP and POP3. I can connect to the server with a email client no issues, but when I sync mail with the server it reads that I have no mail. I looked in /var/spool/mail/usr and can see the emails at the bottom of the file using vim. The "mail.log" file also received the emails. I have no entries in the "mail.err" file.

I can sign into roundcube webmail also but with same problem as with the email clients.

Any ideas.

Beans

I fixed the issue. In the mail.log file is was moving to procmail due to the mail command. In the postfix main.cf I made sure "mail_command = ".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by m_gustafsson View Post
    Hi,

I have setup my mail server to use maildrop the way it was described by Villu in comment #223 in this thread,
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...96#post7278296
    I did this on a server running Ubuntu 12.04. Now I updated the server to Ubuntu 14.04 and since then I cannot get reception of email working.
    Emails are bounced with the following message:
    Code:
     user unknown. Command output: ERR:
        authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Permission denied Invalid user specified.
    If I run:
    Code:
      $ echo "test" | maildrop -V 9 -d test@myserver.netERR: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Permission denied
    Invalid user specified.
    And:
    Code:
      $ sudo authtest test@myserver.net
    Authentication succeeded.
    My mail.log:
    Code:
       Apr 29 23:04:40 server4 postfix/pipe[15130]: D0B4DCC0E28: to=<test@myserver.net>, relay=maildrop, delay=0.08, delays=0.04/0/0/0.04, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (user unknown. Command output: ERR: authdaemon: s_connect() failed: Permission denied Invalid user specified. )
    Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

/M
    I solved this by setting the sticky bit on the maildrop executable. It had been removed during the update of Ubuntu.
    Code:
      $ sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/maildrop

Beans

Hi,

i've got a problem with authenticating to imap using this tutorial. I've been stuck on it for several days now and can't seem to find an answer to my problem. I hope someone here might lead me in the right way.

authmysqlrc:
    Code:

MYSQL_USERNAME mail
    MYSQL_DATABASE maildb
    MYSQL_USER_TABLE users
    MYSQL_CRYPT_PWFIELD crypt
     MYSQL_MAILDIR_FIELD    concat(home,"/",maildir)
    MYSQL_WHERE_CLAUSE enabled=1
    mysql usertbal
    Code:
    mysql> describe users;
    +-----------------+----------------------+------+-----+-------------------------                                                                                        +-------+
    | Field           | Type                 | Null | Key | Default                                                                                                         | Extra |
    +-----------------+----------------------+------+-----+-------------------------                                                                                        +-------+
    | id              | varchar(128)         | NO   | PRI |                                                                                                                 |       |
    | name            | varchar(128)         | NO   |     |                                                                                                                 |       |
    | uid             | smallint(5) unsigned | NO   |     | 5000                                                                                                            |       |
    | gid             | smallint(5) unsigned | NO   |     | 5000                                                                                                            |       |
    | home            | varchar(255)         | NO   |     | /var/spool/mail/virtual                                                                                         |       |
    | maildir         | varchar(255)         | NO   |     | blah/                                                                                                           |       |
    | enabled         | tinyint(3) unsigned  | NO   |     | 1                                                                                                               |       |
    | change_password | tinyint(3) unsigned  | NO   |     | 1                                                                                                               |       |
    | clear           | varchar(128)         | NO   |     | ChangeMe                                                                                                        |       |
    | crypt           | varchar(128)         | NO   |     | sdtrusfX0Jj66                                                                                                   |       |
    | quota           | varchar(255)         | NO   |     |                                                                                                                 |       |
    | procmailrc      | varchar(128)         | NO   |     |                                                                                                                 |       |
    | spamassasinrc   | varchar(128)         | NO   |     |                                                                                                                 |       |
    13 rows in set (0.00 sec)
    content of table users:
    Code:
    mysql> select * from users;
    +-----------------+--------+------+------+-------------------------+---------+---------+-----------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+-------+------------+---------------+
    | id              | name   | uid  | gid  | home                    | maildir | enabled | change_password | clear    | crypt                                                           | quota | procmailrc | spamassasinrc |
    +-----------------+--------+------+------+-------------------------+---------+---------+-----------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+-------+------------+---------------+
    | admin@cmail.be  | admin  | 5000 | 5000 | /var/spool/mail/virtual | admin/  |       1 |               1 | ChangeMe | $5$00b39a2239d67d48$d.yqU1saUnXgTRgz6Xs9nEPIIhsA8VcIo2gASc4/CZ7 |       |            |               |
    | root@localhost  | root   | 5000 | 5000 | /var/spool/mail/virtual | root/   |       1 |               1 | ChangeMe | $5$a2df96b36d068c35$9W6ROj17mIMEpCvJtTNHNTQYauVrCcAR7iWdOG13gw9 |       |            |               |
    | test@cmail.be   | test   | 5000 | 5000 | /var/spool/mail/virtual | test/   |       1 |               1 | ChangeMe | $5$742378da04f3f6c0$i4JPAE0nmEiLm0SvZw1qrfJp0vQQo4Tu8RTk5iXo548 |       |            |               |
    | wouter@cmail.be | wouter | 5000 | 5000 | /var/spool/mail/virtual | wouter/ |       1 |               1 | ChangeMe | $5$bd03e239e166bb10$9i2ggdd9/sRJU.wDmAMBr0PIesUhjFCwu.PQGOfqSS4 |       |            |               |
    4 rows in set (0.00 sec)
    after a test in telnet syslog:
    Code:
    May 18 13:02:16 debian imapd: LOGIN FAILED, user=wouter@cmail.be, ip=[::1]
    May 18 13:02:16 debian imapd: authentication error: Input/output error
    mysql log:
    Code:
     86 Connect   mail@localhost on
                       86 Init DB   maildb
                       86 Query     SELECT id, crypt, "", , gid, home, "", "", "", "" FROM users WHERE id = 'test@cmail.be'
                       86 Quit

Beans

Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit (60GB VHDD, 2x 2 Cores, 2GB, 16MB video all as a VM on WMware ESXi server)
    Shorewall (4.5.21.6-1 -- I think?)

I started to going through this how-to with another distro thinking it was pretty straight forward, but I quicklky ran into hipcups not finding any available source code for several packages (i.e. PostGrey - it's just gone) and confused about other items. Seeking a slightly easier road for success, I decided to simply do it by the book only to find versioning (directory and layout) problems.

The documentation doesn't seem to line up with with the 'apt-get install shorewall shorewall-doc' delivered goods.
    The "/default-config" folder just doesn't exist within "/usr/share/doc/shorewall", but instead I have "/examples" with sub-folders "/Universal", "/one-interface", "/two-interfaces", and "/three-interfaces". There is no example "hosts" files to work with, and I'm not keen on making one up not knowing what the format inside the file ought to be. Some of the steps seem depreciated as Shorewall appears to prefer "Format 2" now, while the how-to appears to be using "Format 1" (the "detect" parameter tipped me off and I didn't know where to put it). Getting web servers up is fairly easy and straight forward.

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast