Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ubuntu Is Out Lets Hear About What You've To Say

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Ubuntu Is Out Lets Hear About What You've To Say

Quote Originally Posted by marcin_ant View Post
    Ok. Let's try. Software Center -> Search "restriced-extras"

1. Polish translation: "No items in Internet -> Wszystkie match "restricted-extras" "

The only translated word is "Wszystkie" !!!

2. Couldn't find specific package in Software Center? Pathetic..
    You mis-spelt "restricted" the first time in your post, are you sure you spelt it correctly in Software Center?

Secondly, as you speak Polish and English it would probably really help the translation team if you could help translate Software Center's strings. I wish I could speak a different language so I could help with translation.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I like it because everything went well, and there were very few obstacles for me. It is much the same as 11.04 was.... but I use Xubuntu... not the Unity panel. On a side note, my graphics card was automatically detected this time, and the driver downloaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok. Let's try. Software Center -> Search "restriced-extras"

1. Polish translation: "No items in Internet -> Wszystkie match "restricted-extras" "

The only translated word is "Wszystkie" !!!

2. Couldn't find specific package in Software Center? Pathetic...

3. But thank you. It works now (I hope that my bank will understand that icedtea=java. I will try that later).

You need to enable Multiverse repository in the Software Sources.

1. This "small white thingy" is visible only when launcher is visible. When application is maximized it's hidden.
    You can configure the launcher to be visible all the time through Compiz Config Settings Manager. Look for the Unity plugin there.

Also see http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795...guide-to-unity

2. On sreen with big resolution (I got 1920 horizontally) there is a lot of wasted space on top panel. I just don't understant why there is no window indicator there.
    Window indicators can take a lot of space if you open many windows, which would probably cause issues with global menu.

There are solutions tho. You can for instance install a simple panel that will do the job. I don't remember the name of it, but you probably can find it on OMG Ubuntu or WEBUPD8.

I don't want to google and install additional unsupported software just to change font or theme! Don't you remember that Ubuntu motto was that it "just works"?
    Again - I DON'T want additional software. I just want things to be there.
    It works, out-of-the-box, is not their fault if you don't like the default. Installing Advanced Settings or any additional application shouldn't be a big deal for experienced users who like to customize their desktop.

Believe me - it's not there. It's so annoying. I read something in web browser, my laptop is connected to AC and I need to move mouse every few seconds because Ubuntu saves energy for me... Sooooo annoying!
    I don't have a notebook, but I am pretty sure you can change that behavior from "System Settings >>> Screen".

I looks better. It looks like Android market or something. Like e-commerce. But it's not usefull at all.

I know that it should be easy but not too easy and annoying. I cannot believe that someone released package that shows unsorted list of software while it's not in english? In 2011? We had problems with translations and sorting in 2004. Linux was and is multilingual.
    Have you clicked the drop-down menu on the right to sort the applications by Name, Relevance and so on? If that doesn't work, you could contribute and report it so it can be fixed.

If you are power user - you know that there is a thing called Synaptic. And you can be surprised that it's not installed by default.

If you are new to Ubuntu - you don't know such thing. And you are stuck with Software Center mess.
    As I said in my previous post, I always install Synaptic after installing Ubuntu. Not a big deal. The developers cannot put the entire repository in the release, because it must fit a 700 Mb CD. It makes sense to not include Synpatic, since newcomers don't really need it and power users can install Synaptic themselves in less than 30 seconds.

Software Center works like a charm, is intuitive and has lots of useful info.

Well, I'm not. I'm really dissapointed. And I think that it won't gain market share. Maybe it will on tablets or netbooks but on desktops... not this way.
    Well, you can install Gnome Shell and use it or use Gnome Classic. Have you tried those? You can also use KDE, which is very customizable.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; October 17th, 2011 at 02:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, having used the RC for a while, and now the official release for a bit... I can honestly say a few things.

If you like Unity, 11.10 is great (I really don't like Unity). If you want the classic feel of Gnome 2.32, you're going to be wanting for a while. I ended up rolling back to the LTS myself. There are still elements of the gnome-session-fallback that are incomplete for what I require on a daily basis.

Beans

I ran the beta 2 on my old netbook, watched as wrinkles were ironed out by updates (right up to the wire almost), liked it very much -even the 'fixed' Unity (i had used Natty for a bit, but wasn't happy with Unity then - went to Lu, then Xu, then Bodhi), decided to keep it on there.
    I've messed around with that poor lil machine so much with installs, wipes, etc etc, i figure it deserves a rest! So OO is there to stay.

On saturday i decided to bite the bullet, wipe all traces of Windows off my desktop, and install OO instead. I wasn't impressed with Unity on a large screen, so I installed Gnome Shell which seems (to me) more suited to sit-down use, and less of a novelty desktop than Unity (great though it is on a small screen). I'm very happy so far.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You mis-spelt "restricted" the first time in your post, are you sure you spelt it correctly in Software Center?

Secondly, as you speak Polish and English it would probably really help the translation team if you could help translate Software Center's strings. I wish I could speak a different language so I could help with translation.
    You misspelled "misspelled".
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans

@Olph #231 Exactly
    sidewalkcynic #249 Exactly
    Last edited by ChrisOfBristol; October 17th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This upgrade is much appreciated from my perspective. I couldn't get 11.04 to work very well. It would crash a lot and/or not boot a lot. So far, on 11.10, everything is working perfectly. Flash even works better. But a few things confuse me. The default email client is now Thunderbird, but the drop down menu (the mail icon in the systray) still has evolution in it. Also, if you type in an application search for "Menu" you get a UI to configure the menu...but there is no menu, so why configure something that's not there? Seems like a waste of space in both instances.

Other than that it's fast and easy. Just wish they would use digiKam as the default photo manager. That's the only type of software that I really have a preference. Everything else is close enough that I don't care. Like Banshee instead of Rhytmbox or Thunderbird instead of Evolution. Basically the same difference to me. But digiKam blows all the other photo software away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by Hylas de Niall View Post
    On saturday i decided to bite the bullet, wipe all traces of Windows off my desktop, and install OO instead. I wasn't impressed with Unity on a large screen, so I installed Gnome Shell which seems (to me) more suited to sit-down use, and less of a novelty desktop than Unity (great though it is on a small screen). I'm very happy so far.

I am convinced that Unity is for touchscreen tablets, and that the Ubuntu developers would be prudent to begin making separate desktops versions, or something.
    Ubuntu 19.10; Dell 11-3147 upgraded to 480GB SSD, and 8GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unity make me sad! Allow me to choose between classic or unity. Please, the fallback is like using Windows in Safe Mode. Crap.
    My Blog of Technology (English/Spanish) - www.hellotecnologia.com

Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast