Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Gigabyte M/B "970A-UD3" won't boot from USB

Beans

Exclamation HELP! Gigabyte M/B "970A-UD3" won't boot from USB

Hey there fellow members,

I just recently built myself a desktop with a Gigabyte "970A-UD3" motherboard and installed Ubuntu 11.04 with a friends CD-ROM because I don't have my own yet.

I'm looking to do a fresh install from USB stick of the new Ubuntu 11.10. I used the startup disk creator and made one, but alas CANNOT get it to boot. I've tried F12 and manually selecting all the options but it boots straight to my OS. I see that it's accessing the drive and then it goes into the OS boot, no USB boot as selected. Tried changing orders in the BIOS, etc. Nothing. I even made the installation again on the USB drive, still nothing.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Am I just doing something incorrectly. Maybe I am missing a simple step? Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks tons in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HELP! Gigabyte M/B "970A-UD3" won't boot from USB

I've got the same motherboard and the same problem. Did you ever get this working?

Beans

I have GA-970A-D3 motherboard.

With "Transcend" flash (2Gb, 16Gb) PC don't boot, but with "Kingston" 2Gb boot fine. At the others PC "Transcend" flash boot normally.

The same problem with any Linux distribution, and even with the Windows7 on flash, so I think that trouble is hardware issue.

Beans

[solved]
    I had the same problem. I 'installed' ubuntu on the usb first and it worked like charm.
    ubuntu live usb partition table is 32bit (fat?) so the amd64 bit systems can't boot from it..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by armanbf View Post
    [solved]
    ubuntu live usb partition table is 32bit (fat?) so the amd64 bit systems can't boot from it..
    In that case filesystem type on a boot media does not matter.
    Win7 can boot only from ntfs, also
    At the others PC "Transcend" flash boot normally.

Beans

Same problem here.
    We can't boot from CD or USB regardless of our BIOS settings
    An eye an eye makes the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UserDemos View Post
    Hey there fellow members,

I just recently built myself a desktop with a Gigabyte "970A-UD3" motherboard and installed Ubuntu 11.04 with a friends CD-ROM because I don't have my own yet.

I'm looking to do a fresh install from USB stick of the new Ubuntu 11.10. I used the startup disk creator and made one, but alas CANNOT get it to boot. I've tried F12 and manually selecting all the options but it boots straight to my OS. I see that it's accessing the drive and then it goes into the OS boot, no USB boot as selected. Tried changing orders in the BIOS, etc. Nothing. I even made the installation again on the USB drive, still nothing.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Am I just doing something incorrectly. Maybe I am missing a simple step? Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks tons in advance!
    If you did that install from friend's CD drive, how was it attached to your system - or did you do the install with your HDD on the friend's PC?

There's confusing crud in this thread, from users who don't seem to have exactly the same situation.
    These users should either start their own threads, or just watch to see if this instance can be sorted out!
    Derek

Beans

I have the same exact issue with this motherboard. I even had issues booting from my SATA DVD-RW drive.

At the time (around Halloween this year) updating to the BIOS version F3 seemed to solve the issue of problematic booting off of my SATA DVD-RW drive.

Now that x-mas has come around and that I have a microsd card that I would like to install linux onto via a usb flash drive, I am not able to boot up off of any usb device.

If I get ambitious I might try doing an update to my bios to version F5b. (Though it is Beta..)

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=3907#bios

If anyone else wants to give this a shot before I do, that would be great.

Beans

To save others time and energy:

I have tried the F4 BIOS for this motherboard and it still wouldn't boot off of any of my bootable flash drives.

I have tried using the F5b BIOS and it was horrible! It was very glitchy and I would advise anyone else to not use it!

This is very frustrating for me because there is something I would like to work on that requires me booting off of a USB flash drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I would agree in not rushing into upgrading the BIOS on the Gigabyte board. I used to use ASUS boards and always upgraded to the latest BIOS, even the Beta versions, and never had a problem.

Then, I bought a Gigabyte and a few weeks later, noticed that the BIOS was really out of date. So, I (mistakenly) upgraded to the latest BIOS.

THEN, not only would my 1600 memory no longer boot at that speed, it wouldn't even boot at 1333. I had to slow it down to 1033!

Fortunately, I had saved off the "old" BIOS,so I reflashed using that, and was back to being able to use my memory at full speed.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast