Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icloud and Ubuntu

Beans

Icloud and Ubuntu

will i cloud ever work on ubuntu or thunderbird???

is there a way??? for mail contacts and calendars..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Icloud and Ubuntu

You could use Dropbox ...

Beans

dropbox doesn't have mail and calendar... and contacts.. it only stores files...

Beans

I know how to get Icloud working on Ubuntu

If I could get some assistance in testing it would be great..

1. Hopefully my exchange icloud still works, not sure at the moment. but the IMAP Icloud Settings do work.
    This probably would work on Microsoft Windows Xp.. if you have outlook 2007.
    This Current configuration works on apple iphones and Apple OSX SNOW LEOPARD.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864

using the documentation provided by apple.
    CALENDAR ICAL SETTINGS ALSO WORKS ON BOTH DEVICES.
    TRY THESE SETTINGS ON SNOWLEOPARD OSX OR WINDOWS.. AS THEY WORK. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS MOZILLA OR UBUNTU?
    THE CONFIGURATION SPECIFICALLY NEEDS SSL IMAP.
    This is the IMAP Configuration. Currently I do not know the Exchange push configuration, but THE IMAP CONFIG does work.

2. You need to specify the write server configurations.
    the incoming server is:
    imap.mail.me.com
    port 993
    it will think you are a mobileme account I hope this is not a problem in the future..
    your username is just
    your user not the @me.com part...
    example would be where it saids username...
    email address: john.smith@me.com
    username: john.smith
    The Imap Authentication on a Mac computer is Password.
    this is where I am stuck on linux...
    you may also need a CA Certificate for the settings to successfully work.
    hopefully thunderbird would ask you. but I don't think it does at the moment.. or not very well anyway.. so.. thats another problem with linux and mac.

3. Smtp Settings
    smtp.mail.me.com
    username: same as before..
    username: john.smith
    do not put @me.com
    it should then ask you for a CA Certificate... hopefully.. thats what it did on snow leopard. but it didn't work on ubuntu.

I need some help for people to test these settings to see if they work... as this is the mail problem with icloud on ubuntu at the moment.
    Bash.321
    Last edited by bash321; October 15th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by bash321 View Post
    dropbox doesn't have mail and calendar... and contacts.. it only stores files...
    And now guess where your mails and calendard entries get stored?? In files. Sync the right files via Dropbox (e.g. ~/.mozilla* ) and voila, problem solved. Even works across platforms if you do it right: Linux, Windows, Mac OS X

That's how I've been syncing my stuff in the past 3 years ... loooong before Apple "invented" it. LOL.
    Last edited by scorp123; October 15th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Beans

The Problem with Dropbox is that the syncing of files is relatively slow to icloud.

So I do not believe Dropbox is a better option.
    Icloud is a whole lot quicker in speed even using the IMAP Protocol.

The Exchange Sync protocol that it uses for the iphone, mac os x lion, and windows 7 is instant sync and much quicker than wasting space on dropbox for a whole program, where that can be filled with important documents or files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The Problem with Dropbox is that the syncing of files is relatively slow to icloud.
    Can you backup that claim with hard benchmarks?? Dropbox only uploads changed portions of a file. I have several large files in my Dropbox account and have absolutely no problem syncing them across 8 or so computers that are in different locations.

And if you really really really want iCloud: you'd have to bug Apple about it.

Icloud is a whole lot quicker in speed even using the IMAP Protocol.
    No idea what you're talking about. And I seriously doubt you know that either.

IMAP is a protocol for downloading mails.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imap

And how iCloud can be quicker than Dropbox ... I seriously doubt you've conducted any benchmarks. Sync a 100 MB, 1 GB and a 2 GB file from the very same computer using the very same Internet link ... yes, that would be a benchmark. Anything else here is just fanboyism on your part.

I am out here. Go bug Apple

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For mail.

Contacts: Add a CardDAV account to your Address Book application. The server URL is either https://p01-contacts.icloud.com:443 or https://p01-carddav.icloud.com:443. Whichever works first. Log in with your Apple ID and password.

Calendar: Same deal. This time, add a CalDAV account. The server URL is either https://p01-calendar.icloud.com:443 or https://p01-caldav.icloud.com:443. Whichever works first.

Documents: Must be accessed via iCloud.com.
    Sincerely,
    Zachary Waldowski
    Dizzy Technology

Beans

I ll ask my question again as it was not clear enough.

I would like to use Apple Icloud Services on Ubuntu and have them sync with my email and calendar program Mozilla Thunderbird that is currently on Ubuntu. Is there anyway of integrating these services.

I have currently gotten the IMAP Protocol to work on Apple Mail and Windows Live Mail on Windows. from the apple support links above.
    For some reason the imap protocol for incoming mail does not work in Thunderbird mail.

Bash.

Beans

Thanks to Dizzy tech the mail settings do not work on my thunderbird.. which is 9.0 aurora daily build or 7.0 thunderbird on windows 7.. so I found another support topic about these settings on mozilla's blog site. mozilla messaging..
    http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_m.../topics/icloud
    I will cross post the problems that I have been having..
    I will test out the calendar settings and contacts..

Bash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast