Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

I really love how is this project coming out. The items I've managed to install are working fine, but I still have problems.

1. The theme engines are not detected by the DM.
    2. mate-notifications-daemon still tries to get me to uninstall KDE, GNOME and core system packages. I managed to install the one from the Linux Mint repos without problem, but it seems to be out of date already.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ShinIori319 View Post
    mate-notifications-daemon still tries to get me to uninstall KDE, GNOME and core system packages. I managed to install the one from the Linux Mint repos without problem, but it seems to be out of date already.
    where did you get the conflicting mate-notification-daemon package?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by stefano-karapetsas View Post
    where did you get the conflicting mate-notification-daemon package?
    The one that did not conflict was from the Linux Mint repositories, but it's the out-of-date one.
    The rest of the repos (Amana's Tridex's and yours) have a more up-to-date package, but it will not let me install without risking my actual KDE and GNOME installations.

Beans

Great Job .
    Thank you for sharing . I will try to test it .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

MATE is ridiculously overhyped.

The GNOME 2 lineage is a dead-end for innovation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post

As much as unity supporters dont want to hear criticism, yours is neither welcome here.

Besides, what are you afraid of?

----------

I usually don't get involved in OS stuff, but im afraid if not enough people get behind MATE, we wont have a viable desktop left. Let me know how i can help (i also speak/write English/French and Klingon)
    Last edited by mauvebic; November 27th, 2011 at 01:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gnome-shell and Unity are both "ridiculously overhyped", as well. Not all of us want change for the sake of change and are more than happy with our "dinosaur" of a desktop environment. Have fun with your "innovation", I have to go get some actual work done in my non-innovative, dinosaur, desktop environment.
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans

Angry Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Innovation come from brilliant minds, not from a desktop.

Beans

Re: consider the benefits of contributing to gnome-panel upstream

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    I agree with several of the more recent comments: it's much wiser to improve gnome-panel than to try to keep GNOME 2 alive.

Clement, I understand you are trying to please your users but porting the Mint Menu as either a GNOME Shell extension or a gnome-panel 3 compatible applet is actually going to be less headache, take less time, and be more sustainable than teaming up with one guy who's trying to do the impossible. Clement, I don't think you have the extra time and development energy to implement the co-installable GNOME 2 idea.

Here's the current status of gnome-panel as I see it. Very few GNOME developers actually use gnome-panel as their primary desktop (in fact I don't know of any). gnome-panel is still part of GNOME Core and is the official fallback environment. However, only minimal maintenance is being done on it so it continues to work but it's not really getting any improvements. At some unspecified time in the future, several GNOME developers would like to drop gnome-panel from GNOME Core. Additionally, I believe the GNOME developers would be very appreciate of any patches that improve the way gnome-panel works, especially as they don't have the time (or interest, honestly) in doing that work themselves but are happy to take volunteer contributions.

Huge benefits of contributing to gnome-panel upstream: Already existing code hosting, wiki, bugtracker, release schedule, Google juice, and distro inclusion (every distro already packages GNOME's gnome-panel). Official status instead of trying to gain acceptance for an obsolete and incompatible fork. Each applet that you port to
    gnome-panel 3 has a good chance of being picked up by distros and you're probably not the only guy that's trying to get applets ported but good luck trying to convince distros to package your GNOME 2 thing. Here's a big one: if gnome-panel is being actively maintained then GNOME will not kill it, at the most it will drop from being GNOME Core to being community maintained.

Or you could try to keep the entirety of GNOME 2 around but GNOME has already killed it (in the same way that no one is going to bother keeping GNOME 3.2 alive once GNOME 3.4 is out). And GNOME 2 will look less and less appealing with time. What if users want to use the nicer looking gnome-control-center 3? Do you really plan to port all of the new chat protocols to Empathy 2? I hear Evolution 3 is quite a bit nicer than Evolution 2 was. Here's a hint for you: Generally speaking, you can't mix and match GNOME components that are different versions and still be happy....
    If you still read this at all I just wanted to let you know that you were the inspiration behind this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886799

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

I believe the same

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast