Thread: How to add user to auto group

Beans

How to add user to auto group

Hi, need help adding myself to auto group. I am using Ubuntu 11.04 this time. 5th day out on build. Having no luck getting the system up and running with QJACK.CTL. I have follow all the instructions on here "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation" except for this code
    sudo apt-get install ardour audacious hydrogen jackd jack-rack qjackctl seq24 vkeybd zynaddsubfx patchage vlc kino pitivi acidrip ubuntu-restricted-extras ubuntustudio-menu gcdmaster
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMz6fDGBnA4
    So I tought save Qjack for last to see if that would get it up and running????? Help please??????
    In have spent to much time tring to get it up and running. Need to start recording.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to add user to auto group

What is the question exactly? If you want to add a user to a group use
    Code:
    sudo adduser $USER auto
    This will add the user you are currently using to the group "auto"
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

Configuring the real-time access for "audio" group users and applications

Before adding a user to the audio group, please read about the implications of doing so.
    Since Ubuntu 10.04 the permissions to enable real time access for "audio" group users are set in the file /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf. In versions prior to 10.04 these settings were done in /etc/security/limits.conf
    If for some reason you need to tweak something, look for these lines:
    # generated by jackd's postinst. <<BR>> # Do not edit this file by hand, use <<BR>> # dpkg-reconfigure -p high jack <<BR>> # instead <<BR>> @audio - rtprio 99 <<BR>> @audio - memlock unlimited <<BR>> #@audio - nice -19 <<BR>>These value are suggested by http://jackaudio.org/faq. The memlock line determines how much of your memory can be locked by audio processes. Some recommend setting this as half of your total memory (RAM, in KB). The nice setting has been commented out with a purpose, according to one of the main authors of JACK allowing users to renice processes is not necessary. Thanks to Scott Lavender for precision about the new file configuration.
    Don't forget to add your username to the "audio" group (System - Administration - Users and Groups).

Now it ask me to do this and It want let. the command you gave did not work. Said it could not be find.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You confused me with the thread title "How to add user to auto group".
    Use this instead to add yourself to the audio group
    Code:
    sudo adduser $USER audio
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

I'm sorry for that new here. Ok it add me but not to limits.conf