Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Beans

Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    You will get 60 FPS because with Tear Free enabled the fps will sync to your refresh rate. disable tear free and you will see fps of 3000 and higher
    It's true, I put enable in tear free and now have 60 FPS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I "Disable Tear Free Desktop" in Catalyst Control Center, but still a get only 60 FPS. Is it the same place you do it?
    Are there any noticeable differences in desktop appearance and performance with or without tearfree ?

Code:
    fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.800 FPS
    297 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.400 FPS
    302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.400 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
    301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.200 FPS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moteprime View Post
    I "Disable Tear Free Desktop" in Catalyst Control Center, but still a get only 60 FPS. Is it the same place you do it?
    Are there any noticeable differences in desktop appearance and performance with or without tearfree ?

Code:
    fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    Yes, that is the place. There isn't much difference with or without tearfree, maybe the action of moving a window is more fluent.
    Try removing all the ati drivers and installing the new ones (privatives, downloaded of ati page) following the instructions in the link that I gave.

Today I had a new problem, but related with another driver. I saw a page with instructions to install OpenGL ES (package name: kde-window-manager-gles). So, after installing this, my computer seemed to behave as before (with all the original problems wich are the reason of this thread: strange graphic behavior, no effects in kwin, etc). So, if you have this package installed, try uninstalling it...this solved the problem automatically for me. I didn't try the FPS with this driver installed.

Hope this solve your problem!.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    Did you disable sync to vblank in ccsm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Did you disable sync to vblank in ccsm
    Yes i did, as described in an earlier post it seems to increase performance. Does it conflict with Tearfree option?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes i did, as described in an earlier post it seems to increase performance. Does it conflict with Tearfree option?
    This is not entirely accurate, because its just my guess.
    BUT

sync to vblank seems to be OpenGL's 'tear free' so to speak.

tear free enables a vsync telling the GPU to sync to the refresh rate of the monitor.
    That way it is not rendering images faster than the screen can produce them, thus resulting in "tearing"

OpenGL's sync to vblank checks itself against the GPU

I was reading this

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Swap_Interval#Idiosyncrasies

Vsync without glFinish: SwapBuffers() commands the GPU to swap front and back buffers. This command is typically treated like any other GL command, and is executed by the GPU asynchronously from the CPU. As such, the CPU rendering thread does not block and is free to continue rendering and queuing subsequent frames, potentially at a higher rate than vertical refresh. While this maximizes throughput, it creates a scenario where several frames are queued and awaiting buffer swap. A newly generated frame will not actually become visible until after all frames queued ahead of it are swapped, thus creating a visible transport delay.
    From what I understand, the CPU on your computer is rendering the data faster than your GPU can handle it. So in cases of Radeon HD, Intel Sandy bridge, that are part of the CPU itself, there seems to be some kind of traffic jam.

So be removing opengl's syncing option, letting it work at full speed and just setting the GPU to sync to the refresh rate of the monitor, we seem to have created an equal balance.

I guess this is not the way openGL was originally designed to work, but.... it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morfeasrev View Post
    Just install the standard package from 'additional drivers' (aka jockey).
    Or (my choice) 'sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates' in terminal.

Everything works fine now.
    I have this same problem, I dual boot on all of my computers but I just was given a new laptop for Christmas and I tried Ubuntu from a thumbdrive as well as using wubi installer and the screen goes black after boot up. If I cannot access the terminal how can I install any drivers? Also will installing different drivers for the same graphics card have a negative effect on the preinstalled drivers that windows 7 uses? One more note, I have noticed that the Linux Distro, Debian Live works normally on this AMD graphics card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by railen5 View Post
    I have this same problem, I dual boot on all of my computers but I just was given a new laptop for Christmas and I tried Ubuntu from a thumbdrive as well as using wubi installer and the screen goes black after boot up. If I cannot access the terminal how can I install any drivers? Also will installing different drivers for the same graphics card have a negative effect on the preinstalled drivers that windows 7 uses? One more note, I have noticed that the Linux Distro, Debian Live works normally on this AMD graphics card.

If your screen goes black

you need to boot your live usb/cd, while its booting keep tapping the UP arrow key so you can get to the menu.

Press F6 and choose nomodeset

boot the system.

It will reach and endpoint

you must switch to tty2

CTRL + ALT + F2

type

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo lightdm start

install like normal

when finished and system reboots

keep tapping Up arrow key

at the grub menu

press E to edit the line

go down to the 3rd? line i think, to the left of where it says splash type

nomodeset

hit F10 I think to boot. it says it at the bottom.

once in,

sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates

reboot like normal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morfeasrev View Post
    Just install the standard package from 'additional drivers' (aka jockey).
    Or (my choice) 'sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates' in terminal.

Everything works fine now.
    Thanks I will try this when i get home and post results
    Last edited by railen5; December 30th, 2011 at 05:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Topoide View Post
    I followed all you tips and instructions in order to get all the potential of that APU (e-450) in my asus 1215b without full success. Today I've found a guide that gave me an incredible TOTAL functionality of the APU. They give instructions to install the official AMD driver, configure and test it.

The link: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian

It worked for me (I use Kubuntu 11.10, and think it could work with Ubuntu too).
    I tried this and ran it for a couple of days after reading your post.
    Getting all the potential from that GPU is not what it got me though.
    Just like with the radeon divers chosing ubuntu2D at the login prompt of unity helps for the smootheness of windows moving and such. But its still in my opinion far away from releasing all the power of that GPU. I switched back to radeon as the catalyst driver gave me trouble with dual monitor setup and no other advantage. BEsides the fan is still on all the time.

I think we have to wait a bit longer.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast