Thread: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Thanks for the tip!
    I installed it right away.
    Well, it works.
    Unity works. Performance is better, the open source driver are still faster, but not by much.
    There are no tearing when watching videos any more, and it can almost show a 720p youtube video smooth. (is it actually possible?).
    I would recommend giving it a try, but i think that i will try hanging on to it for a better impression.
    -please ask any question, and i will answer a good as i can.

Beans

I have just tried the 11.11 driver and its a no go on my HD6320 - If anything i think the tearing through the OS is worse then no driver at all

I have tested the driver with both ubuntu 11.10 and Suse 11.4 - same results on both, i dont get the "unsupported hardware" but performance is not usable

Im also getting a flickering screen in ubuntu, is anyone else on here? i have started a question on launchpad but i have had no replys

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/178731

I really hope there is a driver that is going to work for this soon!!! (Sony Vaio VPCYB36KG)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have just tried the 11.11 driver and its a no go on my HD6320 - If anything i think the tearing through the OS is worse then no driver at all
    You are right its still far from good enough, but for me anyway, better than before.
    I have subscribed to your question on launchpad.net, and hope that a usable answer will come.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had tearing on my computer as well. Radeon 6380G.
    I found the problem related to the Catalyst and the verison of openGL that is used by compiz. Even Unity 2D showed some slowing.

To fix this I installed libgl1-mesa-swx11
    This removed the other opengl versions and also crippled Unity 3D and gnome-shell. However Unity 2D is running much much faster and everything is extremely smooth. The only thing that I miss is the aero snap. The rest of Unity 3D does not matter to me.

Beans

Hi guys,
    recently I've installed 11.10 on debian wheezy (apu e-450 and gnome2). It was a little bit tricky (dowgrade xserver) but now all seems to work better (with powerplay, my battery lasts more) and I can watch 720p videos. Suspend doesn't work (with opensource drivers it does).

Maybe I'll try the 11.11 some day, I'd like to enable suspend option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pingpongmarshall View Post
    Hi guys,
    recently I've installed 11.10 on debian wheezy (apu e-450 and gnome2). It was a little bit tricky (dowgrade xserver) but now all seems to work better (with powerplay, my battery lasts more) and I can watch 720p videos. Suspend doesn't work (with opensource drivers it does).

Maybe I'll try the 11.11 some day, I'd like to enable suspend option.
    Suspend did not work on Squeeze for me.

On Oneiric with 11.11 my battery lasts about 4 hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Tried the 11.11 drivers on Oneiric, I have a C-50 based netbook. Installation (and uninstall) went smooth, but the performance was terrible, maybe actually worse than the open source driver (I'm talking about 720p video, not 3D) and of course suspend wouldn't work.

I'm back on the open source drivers... I've read on Phoronix that 11.12 should be a major milestone in terms of performance and reliability. One can always hope...

Beans

for me 11.12 fglrx installs and runs on e-450

The 3D is garbage (as in rainbow static noise)

opensource drivers run (at least he ones from xorg-edgers ppa if you avoid installing the cairo package from there)

The 3D is a few times faster as software rendering - (as in decent speed slideshow).

The card has enough power to run basic 3D as can be demonstrated by installing the Windows 8 developer preview but I could not find any working Linux drivers.

Beans

Angry Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

I am also one of the few unlucky ones who ordered asus 1215b netbook for christmas (i did tons of research before buying it) wihtout realizing that its crap for linux. I have done some hardcore testing on Ubuntu and many other linux distros but everything lacks ...

The graphic problem is the first , cant even run unity smoothly , had to turn to unity-2d and on that its not properly running video streams from youtube or anyother flash site (lots of lag). it manage to run some (not 720p) videos from harddrive, i tried all sorts of drivers open source , fglrx from jockey , x-edgers etc... then comes the battery issue ... on ubuntu the netbook stays for max 4 hrs (3.53 exact) in the course of web browsing on wifi. i did installed other laptop mode tools as well but nothing.

then i gave up and installed windows 7 after 2 weeks, everything worked like charm, its like a mew computer, i can do 720p streams , battery lasts 6+ hrs.

I am sad to say this, but i m really disappointed from this experience. I am the one who was pushing for linux in my (windows/OSX dominated) circle of friends and then i myself had to turn away from linux. I only hope that someone realize this and pushes companies for opensource drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Quote Originally Posted by atkhan007 View Post
    I am sad to say this, but i m really disappointed from this experience. I am the one who was pushing for linux in my (windows/OSX dominated) circle of friends and then i myself had to turn away from linux. I only hope that someone realize this and pushes companies for opensource drivers.
    Same here on an Acer Aspire One 522 (C-50): I gave up on Linux on this one. Hell, even Windows 8 DP is light years more functional AND stable than any distro I've tried on this baby.

I was going to say "especially with APU based notebooks/netbooks, where performance and power consumption optimizations are essential, AMD should really get its act together, and either release full specs so that the community can build good open source drivers, or if it doesn't want to do that at least AMD should release solid, decent, and tested Catalyst drivers (still no GNOME3??? It's been out since forever!!!)" -- but then I realized that almost the entire AMD lineup is going Fusion (CPU+GPU), so I really wonder whether in the near future all of AMD fans/users will be doomed to a horribly poor linux experience...

I'll endure Win8 through the DP and the public Beta, then (1 year from now? Almost two years after my netbook came to market??) I'll try some more distro-inferno...

On a side note, I'm having huge issues with my AMD/ATI desktop as well... For the first time I'm seriously considering Intel/nVIDIA for my next build...

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast