Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Beans

Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Baaad ideas, continued.

I've decided to try and intruduce a workaround for performance issues, namely - turn off the Vsync in compiz. I have installed CCSM, run it, and, to my sheer amazement, whole Unity interface dissappeared. Rebooting, reinstalling unity and ubuntu-desktop didn't help. Turns out there's a bug in compiz doing just that - segfaulting unity. :/ Luckily, switching to Ubuntu 2D and turning on Unity plugin in compiz helped.

Now, I have no "AMD unsupported hardware" logo and the Unity runs great - everything is smooth as silk, transparency everywhere, I'm expecting pink unicorns to pop out any minute.

I have run fgl_glxgears and framerate is even worse than before. :O Strange, given the fact that the interface runs great. I do not expect to play any 3D games anytime soon, so I guess I'll stick to the current state of affairs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@bebe_b4

Is it because i mis the 3D effects that my launcher cannot handle the icons, alt+tab graphics and what i guess are the transparency?
    I have installed ccsm and Ubuntu Unity plugin, nothing seems to have changed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moteprime View Post
    Is it because i mis the 3D effects that my launcher cannot handle the icons, alt+tab graphics and what i guess are the transparency?
    I don't know for sure. From my experience, the alt+tab looking "old style" presented itself once, when I actually purged fglrx in order to install new version. This would suggest that you either do not have fglrx running at all or managed to turn off all 3D acceleration. But then again, I'm unable to confirm this for sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I tried logging in in Ubuntu 2D, and it looked the same, so i probably are running 2D.
    Are there any way to turn 3D on? It sound like you got it right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bebe_b4 View Post
    I don't know for sure. From my experience, the alt+tab looking "old style" presented itself once, when I actually purged fglrx in order to install new version. This would suggest that you either do not have fglrx running at all or managed to turn off all 3D acceleration. But then again, I'm unable to confirm this for sure.
    This (and worse) can happen during a session! Something like a "limited graphics crash" and you loose alttab switcher or windows theming...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moteprime View Post
    Are there any way to turn 3D on? It sound like you got it right.
    The only way I know of is choosing Ubuntu/Ubuntu 2D on login screen...

Beans

where can I see what processors are supported by the ATI/AMD proprietary GFLRX graphics driver?
    And has anyone any ideas when the E-450 will be supported?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Same problems here on a C-50 APU.
    The biggest issue for me is that the radeon driver keeps the fan going all the time (albeit not at full speed). I wouldn't really mind merely performance differences, but being a netbook I'd need it to be cool(er), and this obviously affects battery life as well...

Installing from "Additional Drivers - post release" doesn't work. I might try via Synaptic the "fglrx updates" (should be Catalyst 11.09 though, and those suck, as the latest entry in the changelog is from Oct 26), or try and see if the ATI 11.10 .run blob finally works...

Is it safer if I build the .deb packages and try to install those? Would this be easier to undo than just running the installer?

The fact is, I installed and re-installed dozens of distros and drivers this past month since I bought this netbook, and I'm really tired of command line kung-fu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same problem on a Vostro 3555 with 6380G.

Horrible performance, even with the 11.10 Catalyst. It is worse with Unity 2D then it is with 3D.
    KDE will not enable Compositing unless you turn off OpenGL and switch to Xrender. Then the performance is absolutely unbearable.
    I was able to speed it up a little bit by removing the global menu bar and disabling several of the Window effects in CCSM.
    Compiz is a nightmare. the only thing I want is Window's style Aero Snap.... you know, drag a window to the side of the screen and snap it. No hotkeys. Not the rest of compiz.

Blah... so sad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Catalyst 11.11 just came out

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

Anyone give it a shot yet with a Radeon HD 6XXX Series?

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast