Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Beans

Re: 11.10 Oneiric (AMD 64) AMD E-450, ATI HD 6320 AMD Catalyst 11.8

Hi all,

I've also bought few days ago an asus 1215b with the amd apu e-450. I think this graphic card is not yet supported properly... you can see here another opinion :
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/65674...-catalyst-11-9
    In fact on amd.support they don't have an 'option' for e-450, only for e-350.... I think we have to wait...
    PS. I also tried with fedora wich can succesfully install catalyst 11.9, but like the guy in the link, this doesn't work and alwasy showed up ''hardware not supported''.

Greetings to all from Italy, hope to hear some news soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

amd apu a8-3850 with ati video integrated.
    the same.... amd unsupported hardware on my led screen (on 11.04)
    ubuntu live cd amd64 11.10 doesn't launch live sesion, no desktop, just black screen, so... i will not upgrade to 11.10

Beans

to install the 11.9 drivers you have to do it from the terminal and have it build the packages for your distribution. Using Ubuntu Oneiric just do sudo sh ati-driver-installer-11-9-x86.x86_64.run --buildandinstallpkg Ubuntu/oneiric. the drivers are fairly buggy and might not work. I'm using an acer laptop with a Radeon 6650 and i have no 3d at all, it does get rid of the unsupported hardware watermark though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@pingpongmarshall

It is me that have asked the question on Askubuntu.

To get the opensource driver back, instead of the very buggy AMD driver i followed the link from Cynical in post #13.

The opensource driver are also buggy, but my hole computer runs better after i got rid of AMD's driver, and the desktop runs much more smooth.

As i can figure out for now it looks like the E-250,350 &450 graphics are not yet supported properly. But i hope they will be soon. I have had ATI graphics with Ubuntu before than worked well.

Beans

@moteprime

I'm also using the opensource drivers and can't watch hd videos, i'm tryng right now to set the driver to use power management...
    Do you think are there any chance to have a better support on linux with the proprietary driver? I'd like to watch full hd videos and have acceleration hardware and also good powermanagment.
    Otherwise i'm thinking about return it to amazon and buying something with intel-nvidia, there is a mounth of time during wich I can return It (I really think that the apu in a lot better than atom, but I don't want to use windows).
    Maybe I'll send an email to amd first, and then wait a bit..

Beans

Hey everyone!

I want to get a Lenovo x121e amd laptop and run ubuntu 11.10 on it. I can choose between the E-350 or the E-450...
    I was planning on getting the E-450 version but after reading this I am not sure anymore. I have used ubuntu before but I am not very experienced with linux systems.

What would your recommend me? I am a student and for me a stable and functionally system is more important than performance.

Should I get the E-350 or the E-450 version? Or should I look for a different laptop?

Thanks for any advice

P.S. #1st post

Beans
    Distro

@pingpongmarshall

Don't forget that i was the one that started this thread because i don't have a clue what's going on...

I had Linux (mostly Ubuntu) on 4 laptops and 4-5 desktops, and all the laptops (except this one) had Intel graphics, one of the desktops had ATI Radeon, the others had Nvidia. I Have never had these problems before. The ATI card I had was running fine. That said, i think maybe ATI/AMD has a bit of a bad reputation for not making good drivers for Linux, but i can't really say.
    But my experience with hardware, especially on laptops, are that when the chips, whatever they are, CPU, GPU or wireless are new, it takes some months maybe half a year before they have good support in linux.
    For smaller Laptops/nebooks at the moment, there are only the Intel Atoms and now the AMD APU's, and i cannot imagine that the E series APU's are not going to be supported well in Linux. They got to be planning to put the APU's in all kinds of hardware, and some of it has got to be driven by Linux.
    The answer Jack H. gave on AskUbuntu does sound like it is realistic, there must be some graphic drivers coming for the E-450 soon. -Its only been released in august 22.
    I don't know if you can get a Intel/nvidia setup that performs as good as the AMD APU's, i can't where I live, until Intel releases the new Atom series. But i think thats not going to happend before sometime next year.
    I used the proprietary drive until i found out how to get the open source driver back, and maybe, just maybe, it was a little faster showing full screen videos. ? 720p or 1080p?

Beans
    Distro

@Gart3nzw3rg

Hi.
    I made a quick check up on the difference on E-350 and E-450 before buying my Lenovo s205 E-405 Laptop, and i think that they are almost the same. The 450 are 10-15% faster than the 350. And where i live it cost 2% extra so i picked the E-450.
    The graphics part of the APU are 6310 in the 350 and 6320 in the 450. I don't know if there is a big difference but the Mhz speed in the 450 looks a lot better than in the 350.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion

I have not seen a system with a E-350 running Linux, so i don't know if there are any difference in the graphics performance, but when i go to AMD's support page for downloading driver for Linux, the E-450 does not appear only the E-350. so maybe they have not got around to include the 450 yet. it is very new, only two months.

All said, my laptop are very stable and fast. I had no crashes or freezes that i did not cause my self. It it so much faster than the Intel Atom N450 in my old netbook that there are no comparesing at all. The Intel Atoms has a terrible graphics chip which really useless for media.
    Only my Wireless driver are giving me trouble, and the graphics are "not yet", performing well.
    Last edited by moteprime; October 23rd, 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Beans

@moteprime

Thank you That helped me a lot. I think I will stick with the x121e since I really like it. I will also get the e-450 version. As you said, it costs only a little more but has better performance.

You mentioned problems with the wireless driver. In a German forum about the x121e I read about someone that had problems with the wireless card after having suspended it. He solved it by re-installing it and setting the BIOS to legacy only instead of UEFI only (I dont know what is meant by this). Then he installed the Realtek rtl8192ce driver. After that it seemed to work for him.

I dont know if that helps you at all

Beans

You're right,
    I'm going to wait.
    Right now I'm installing Win... the last time was 4/5 years ago . Hope to don't have to use it a lot, only to have long-life battery.

I'll try soon to get catalyst working on debian whezzy, and post here results.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast