Thread: Firewire Camcorderr Capture Through USB

Hybrid View

Beans

Firewire Camcorderr Capture Through USB

Hi, I'm running Mint 11, which works pretty much like an Ubuntu distro, so I'm assuming any solutions here should do for me, correct me if I'm wrong on that as well.

I have a JVC GR-D850UB camcorder that I used to broadcast live on a MacBook via livestream, conecting the camera through it's DV firewire port.

I wish to try it on my compaq notebook running mint, that does not have FireWire ports.

So I went on ebay and (now I'm starting to think naively) got myself a firewire to usb adapter cable. I suppose the cable is working just fine.

So I plugged the dvd end on the JVC camera, plugged the usb end of the cable to my notebook, turned on the camera, set it to REC mode, and got absolutly nothing on "dmesg | grep usb". Setting it to PLAY mode made no difference eiter.

So I'm supposing there was no understanding between both parts.

What I guess that I want to know is if there is a way to, using only software, simulate the processing of the firewire standard (IEEE1394) data, through the usb2.0 port, so that the computer gets to recognize the raw data from the camera, in order for me to stream the data in tools such as livestream.com.

If there's absolutly no way to do this and the only way is to indeed get a firewire card, that would end this thread quickly, but I'd end up sad! Hope someone has some clever solution to it.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; October 11th, 2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added prefix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Firewire Camcorderr Capture Through USB

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tigreped View Post
    So I went on ebay and (now I'm starting to think naively) got myself a firewire to usb adapter cable. I suppose the cable is working just fine.
    Got a link to the adapter cable, sounds fishy?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Got a link to the adapter cable, sounds fishy?
    mips the cable is one as such:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5ft-USB-Fire...item45f418ee94

Beans

I'm gonna say no ways in hell will that cable work as I see no electronics that do protocol conversion. I think you got scammed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I'm gonna say no ways in hell will that cable work as I see no electronics that do protocol conversion. I think you got scammed.
    Well, I understand a cable alone can't manage such protocols conversion. What I'm asking if there is any implementation on software that could read the usb port, access the ieee1394 firewire data through it and manage the communication between camcorder and computer.

Should I assume that it has not yet been tried out? Cause I'm sure it's not impossible. :c)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tigreped View Post
    What I'm asking if there is any implementation on software that could read the usb port, access the ieee1394 firewire data through it and manage the communication between camcorder and computer.
    I don't think so seeing the protocols are implemented in the hardware (chipset).