Thread: Nobel prize winner uses Ubuntu!!!

Beans

Nobel prize winner uses Ubuntu!!!

Chris Sims, an economics professor at Princeton, won the Nobel prize in economics today. He uses Kubuntu as his operating system, and he does most of his computer work using the open source statistical programming language R.

Here is more information (although Ubuntu is not mentioned):
    http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...sq=sims&st=cse

I don't know if that's interesting to anyone, but I think it's cool that Ubuntu now has a Nobel laureate . Anyone know of any others?
    Last edited by PGScooter; October 11th, 2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: posted a URL of more information that does not require registration (I think)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nobel prize winner uses Ubuntu!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PGScooter View Post
    Chris Sims, an economics professor at Princeton, won the Nobel prize in economics today. He uses Kubuntu as his operating system, and he does most of his computer work using the open source statistical programming language R.

Here is an article about the Nobel prize announcement (although Ubuntu is not mentioned):
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/98fef468-f...#axzz1aRQKzz4r

I don't know if that's interesting to anyone, but I think it's cool that Ubuntu now has a Nobel laureate . Anyone know of any others?
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing this made my night

Beans
    Hidden!

Neat! Thanks for sharing. Cool to see a smart dude like him using Linux at all, much less Ubuntu.

[edit] Seems to require registration just to read the article. You might want to post the same news story from a different website, if possible.

Beans

8_Bit,

Thanks for letting me know. I changed the URL. The new one is more informative and offers some great links. Does it work for you?

Beans

Googling for "chris sims" kubuntu throws up some links. Apparently, if it's the same person, he's been quite active in bug reporting as well!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There's a lot of Unix/Linux use in the scientific community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    There's a lot of Unix/Linux use in the scientific community.
    True, but what about Nobel prize winners? And also, what about using only open source software to do your research? Many in the linux science community rely on Matlab or Mathematica, which are proprietary.