Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Netbook for Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Best Netbook for Ubuntu

There was is an older thread of this that was posted back in 2008: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006177

But since computer technology gets better even in the passing of one year I thought of making a re-post.

So here I ask the Ubuntu Community what have you found to work best for you? What I really look for is something with an Ubuntu friendly video card; namely because I really want the graphics to be sleek and smooth. Other things I find important are a small screen size and long battery life.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best Netbook for Ubuntu

I like my eee, everything works but battery life is nothing special. I just put linux mint LXDE on it and it runs great.
    The outrageous is the reasonable, if introduced politely.

Beans
    Hidden!

I love my Eee PC. Get it with a dual core Atom and it'll run at a brisk pace. It's small, light, quiet, cool, energy efficient, and 100% Debian and Ubuntu compatible (from personal experience). However, flash and video playback can be slow at times. I don't know about DVD playback as it doesn't have an optical drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll third the Eee, and no problems with DVD playback here. I have an Eee S101 that I've been running for the past year and a half, and it's simply the best device I've ever had. Dependable, durable, and pretty.

Flash still stutters occasionally, but generally not if you're on AC and not actively doing anything else, and I'll still run a video in half-screen while I'm doing something else without too much lag.

Aside from installing Eee Control for the ACPI scripting, I haven't had to tweak anything to my hardware. Suspend and resume used to kill the WiFi card, but there was a simple fix and I found it wasn't needed under 10.10+.

Graphics are smooth as hell. It's quite insane - desktop effects are prettier and quicker than any netbook's have any right to be. As of 11.04, I don't experience any audio hiccups, either.

My Enlantech trackpad is a dream under the Synaptics drivers, but I don't think it's fully supported in Oneiric (I lost the three-finger-tap gesture trying the 3.0 kernel, and drags were extremely fidgety.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Asus eeepc x101 or Lenovo x120e

Beans

I have an eee 1005ha and all the hardware works great, no problems watching videos and about 6 hours battery life on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I have a Gateway LT31. I would not suggest it for Ubuntu since it has the ATI graphics card and that has caused nothing but problems. Only a hack allows 11.10 to work reasonably.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would wait for a netbook with the new atom cpus that were released recently. The old ones were not powerful enough to even play HD video.

I wouldn't go for higher spec netbooks either since they tend to suffer in terms of battery life.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does Lenovo X220 count as a netbook? I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Linux on it - it looks real nice.

Beans

CaptinGoogle, have you seen this list?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...hines/Netbooks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast